Normal for symptoms to seem worse after diet?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

blossomx

Normal for symptoms to seem worse after diet?

Postby blossomx » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently put my son on a GFCF diet. I'm not sure why, but his behaviour seems worse now than it did before. Is that possible / common? Is it just temporary? Now I'm getting worried that maybe corn (in most of the foods he's been eating) is making him act out now.
Thanks for any replies!

Marya

Re: Normal for symptoms to seem worse after diet?

Postby Marya » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi blossomx, probably the symptoms you are seen not from the diet and due to something else. For example, meds or supplements he is taking. Regarding corn, try to eleminate it and see how he reacts. I think diet is only a part of the therapy but for some kids could be a huge part.
Good luck!

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:39 am

These are some of the foods I'm using: lentils (need to be soaked overnight), brown rice, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat ...

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:22 am

in what way is the behavior worse? can you describe? also how long has he been on the diet? is he getting soy?

renae26

Postby renae26 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:38 pm

same thing happened with my son, and it was the corn.

Cutting out corn for us was huge (eliminated dark circles under eyes, bumps on extremities, aggression, irritability).

It is much harder to go corn free than GF, because corn is in EVERYTHING, and many times not labeled because it is considered an incidental ingredient (processing aid), like corn starch sprayed on the inside of packaging to prevent sticking.

Many products labeled as corn free are not because there's no standard for corn free.

Watch out especially for citric acid, glycerin, modified food starch, dextrose, honey, Vitamin C.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”