Arachidonic acid in autism and schizophrenia

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

FatherOf2

Arachidonic acid in autism and schizophrenia

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:30 pm

I came across a book "What Really Causes Schizophrenia". It is quite an interesting book and can be downloaded for free from the author's website: http://www.hdfoster.com/sites/hdfoster.com/files/users/user10/WhatReallyCausesSchizophreniawithp54.pdf. Some excerpts:

In 1927, the Austrian psychiatrist, Julius Wagner-Jauregg won a Nobel Prize for treating psychosis with malaria... The impact of deliberately giving malaria to schizophrenics was ... unexpected... As the first fever took hold, a few days after the deliberate infection, the schizophrenic patients seemed to lose their psychosis. But sadly, when the fever came down, the psychosis returned... Horrobin argued that an inability to flush [from Niacin], the failure to feel pain, the beneficial effects of fever, and the resistance to arthritis seen in schizophrenics were all linked to arachidonic acid abnormalities. Arachidonic acid is usually locked up in membrane phospholipids, but for the body to react to many different stimuli it must be released as free arachidonic acid which can then regulate cell function in appropriate ways. Some arachidonic acid is also then converted to prostaglandins that open up blood vessels to allow faster blood flow. Horrobin argued that in schizophrenics, a shortage of free arachisonic acid could explain a lack of prostaglandins and, hence, of flushing... During a fever, arachidonic acid is very rapidly released from the cell membranes since it helps to defend against infection. If schizophrenics are usually deficient in arachidonic acid, fever may move body levels towards the norm improving brain function and reducing psychotic symptoms.

Next, this study "Efficacy of Adding Large Doses of Arachidonic Acid to DHA against Restricted Repetitive Behaviors in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders" https://www.omicsonline.org/efficacy-of-adding-large-doses-of-arachidonic-acid-to-docosahexaenoic-acid-against-restricted-2155-6105.S4-006.php?aid=3211:

It has been documented that behavioral addictions resemble substance addiction in many domains, including the repetitive patterns of interests and behavior displayed by addicts and their failure to resist impulses to perform an act that are harmful to themselves or others. Restricted and repetitive patterns of interests and behavior resembling the characteristics of behavioral addictions are also a core feature of autism spectrum disorders (ASD)... The polyunsaturated fatty acids, arachidonicacid (ARA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) play key roles in the maturation of the brain network. Supplementation of larger doses of ARA added to DHA may therefore improve repetitive and addictive behavior... Our supplementation regimen significantly ... reduced repetitive and addictive behaviors ...[and] the scores of the ABC-measured social withdrawal and ABC-measured inappropriate speech. These findings suggest that improvements in impaired social interactions may contribute to improvements in repetitive and addictive behavior.

Many parents here including me observed that their kids improved significantly during flu fevers. The above theory may explain it. My son also significantly improved on Evening Primerose Oil, which is 73% made of ARA. The improvements were temporary though. Some adults claim that ARA helps them with anxiety and social phobia while fish oil does nothing.

Marya

Re: Arachidonic acid in autism and schizophrenia

Postby Marya » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 am

A very interesting research fatherof2!
This is my point:
 "Some arachidonic acid is also then converted to prostaglandins that open up blood vessels to allow faster blood flow. Horrobin argued that in schizophrenics, a shortage of free arachisonic acid could explain a lack of prostaglandins and, hence, of flushing."

Arachidonic acid leads to faster blood flow. Does that mean Schizophrenics have a slower blood flow?
Regarding Evening Primerose Oil, you didn't recommend it before for some reasons, isn't it?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:14 am

EPO got a bad reputation due to omega 6 GLA, which is considered pro-inflammatory and, thus, causing seizures and all possible disorders. However, EPO specifically doesn't cause seizures according to this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17764919, which suggests that the seizure side effect warning should be removed from EPO.

EPO also boosts dopamine, which is contraindicated in schizophrenia. But, there is a controversy here too. EPO is converted into prostaglandin E1, which is low in schizophrenia. Some old studies showed that adding EPO or alone provided modest improvements in schizophrenia patients. If someone to try EPO, I would recommend it as a combo with EPA-rich fish oil.

Interestingly, lack of flushing from Niacin is considered as one of the signs of schizophrenia. I give my son vitamin B complex with Niacin every morning. And I noticed that if I give him fish oil before vit B complex, he doesn't flush. But, if I give fish oil too late, he flushes. I have read that giving too much fish oil reduces Arachidonic acid and ability to flush. In fact, a chronic fish oil supplementation blocks omega 6 path. So, it is important to give balanced omega, i.e. include omega 6 despite of it having bad reputation of being pro-inflammatory (Omega 3/6 ratio must be 2-4). And perhaps EPO is a better omega 6 due to its high content of ARA. I also like flaxseed oil (contains ALA), but it is also controversial due to some data suggesting it can promote prostate cancer.

Marya

Postby Marya » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:11 am

Arachidonic acid and blood flow seems important in Schizophrenia and Autism. I will have to do my research.
Regarding B-conplex I never felt any flush.

I thought the lack of arachisonic acid slow blood flow but it is the opposite

How much you give of fish oil? I have read here in the forum that it is very good for cognitive at high doses in the morning. Also a nutrition recommended Salmon oil to me but never tried it.
Regarding flaxseed oil I found on Ocnology website this:

there is some research on how eating flaxseeds can affect prostate tumor growth in men who have the disease already.
From what I understood it is ok for healthy people but it might increase the risk for patients with the disesase like Vitamin C is harmful for patients with cancer but it is very good anti oxidant for those who don't have any cancer.
I could be mistaken though!
Keep going Fatherof2, I'm very interested in your research.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”