Your thoughts on Risperdal

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Waterboy

Your thoughts on Risperdal

Postby Waterboy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:16 am

Hi I'm new here, my 4 year old boy was diagnosed w/ ASD, he is non-verbal (not a single word) and hyperactive, can't seem to concentrate on anything and was prescribed Risperdal .25 mg. After reading a bit about it, I found that is was prescribed for aggressive and self injury behaviors but my boy is not like that and I'm not sure I want to give him the medication after reading about side effects. I'm trying to find out if there are any experiences in cases like this as I'm afraid the remedy may be worst than the symptoms. Thx.

Albert. S

Re: Your thoughts on Risperdal

Postby Albert. S » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:04 pm

..sorry to hear the diagnosis. Its a tough pill to swallow. :( :( Have you done anything biomedical? Say, changing his diet (GFCG) or supplementation? These things could go long way in helping him. It helped my son he began to speak after changing diet. If your son is tolerable go with biomeds first, try you hand and see how it goes. Hope this helps. THe bestest luck to you and your son. :)

MollyFox

Re: Your thoughts on Risperdal

Postby MollyFox » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:31 am

My DD (8) is on Risperidone. We tried lots of biomed and behavior interventions before we went that route. I hated to do it but she was a danger to herself and others and she wasn't able to learn because her aggressive behaviors and OCD. If she didn't have crippling anxiety and OCD with extreme self injury and aggression I would not have her on it. We tried abilify and Zoloft and neither worked for her.
It can cause increased prolactin levels which can lead to development of breasts (even in boys) that lactate and it can cause metabolic syndrome. She has to go for blood tests every 6 months to check her cholesterol, prolactin and other things.
With it my DD is calm and happy and can participate at school and therapy.
If your son is not hurting himself or others or is not melting down all day long, you may want to ask your doctor about other alternatives like guanfacine (tenex/ intunive).

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”