Heavy metal removal

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

andy_g

Heavy metal removal

Postby andy_g » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:51 am

Hello everyone,

I have been having three-monthly MRIs for a few years now all with contrast (gadolinium). I want to try to remove the gadolinium from my body if at all possible.

The first agent I have got is DMSA in powder form, and I have put it into 100mg capsules. I plan to take 10mg/kg/day for two days on and then off. From what I have read the usual regimen is 3 to 5 days on followed by 10-15 days off, more or less.

I have no access to urine/blood tests for heavy metals it is very hard / almost impossible to organise them. But I am confident that after so many MRIs I am loded enough with gadolinium and there is plenty of research to point to gadolinium being deposited on to tissues and in the brain even with good renal function.

I will take it orally because this is all I have right now, for two days on and many days off, probably 15. I also wanted to take garlic but so far I have not found any good supplements and I hate the taste/smell of raw garlic (but may resort to it in the end).

If you have done this treatment would you be able to give me some advice about what to expect?

Many thanks
Andy

Creatineman

Re: Heavy metal removal

Postby Creatineman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Iherb would sell garlic capsules.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3654245/

(i) Dietary fibres from various food products, including bran from grains as well as fruit, have been evaluated as an alternative or adjunct to chelation therapy with the aim to interrupt enterohepatic recirculation [34–36] and to modulate intestinal flora [37], with findings of reduced levels of mercury in the brain and blood. Caution is merited regarding soluble fibre; in contrast to protection offered by insoluble fibre, flax seed resulted in increased intestinal absorption of cadmium [38].

(ii) Other natural polymers have also been gaining attention as potential adsorbents of heavy metals, such as algal polysaccharides alginate [39] and chlorella [40]. Modified citrus pectin plus alginate products have been used successfully to reduce lead and mercury in case studies [39]. Poly(γ-glutamic acid), an edible and biodegradable biopolymer, has been produced extracellularly during fermentation of Bacillus species; its α-carboxyl groups conjugate a variety of compounds including metal cations [41].

(iii) Given that toxic metals have great affinity for sulphur-containing peptides, diets rich in sulphur-containing foods such as alliums (e.g. garlic [42]) and brassicas (e.g., broccoli [43]) have been suggested for effects on glutathione, with hopes for symptomatic improvement and enhanced excretion. Garlic prevented cadmium-induced kidney damage [44] and decreased the oxidative damage due to lead in rats [45].

(iv) Cilantro (leaves of Coriandrum sativum), a popular culinary and medicinal herb, gained attention when a soup was reported to enhance mercury excretion following dental amalgam removal and remains popular despite limited evidence [46]. In animals, it decreased lead absorption into bone and inhibition of the delta-aminolevulinic acid dehydratase (ALAD) enzyme [47]. Less encouragingly, in a recent trial in 3- to 7-year old children exposed to lead, a cilantro extract was as effective as placebo in increasing renal excretion (improvements across treatment and placebo groups were ascribed to improved diet during the intervention) [48].

Several supplements are also in use to address metal toxicities.

(i) Taurine [49–51] and methionine [52] are sulphur-containing amino acids. They are rich in membranes particularly of excitable tissues, and they decrease oxidative stress markers resulting from heavy metal exposure. Practitioners also report using taurine for 6 weeks or so prior to hair analyses, to boost levels and improve detection.

(ii) Alpha lipoic acid is a powerful antioxidant that regenerates other antioxidants (e.g., vitamins E and C, and reduced glutathione) and has metal-chelating activity. Both fat and water soluble, it is readily absorbed from the gut and crosses cellular and blood-brain membrane barriers [22, 53]. Clinical experience is that it must be used carefully as it poses particular risks of redistribution of metals.

(iii) N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), an orally available precursor of cysteine, is a chelator of toxic elements and may stimulate glutathione synthesis, particularly in the presence of vitamins C and E [54–56].

(iv) Glutathione is not recommended to be administered orally as it undergoes digestion; however novel modes of delivery such as liposomal and prodrug preparations are emerging [57]. It may be administered intravenously, in creams and via nebulizer. Glutathione is an important physiological chelator, and the reduced form of glutathione protects cells from reactive oxygen species associated with heavy metals [58–61].

(v) Selenium is an important essential element, that is present at a broad range of levels across populations. The selenide ion forms an extremely stable, insoluble compound with mercury, and provides relief of mercurialism symptoms. On the face of it, selenide might not be compatible with chelation, as the two agents may counter the effectiveness of one another [62]; however, selenium may be incorporated in organic molecules, and organic selenium/mercury complexes may be transported through membranes. Selenium depletion in the face of mercury exposures also depletes seleno-enzymes. In humans, organic selenium supplementation was beneficial in a controlled trial among 103 mercury-exposed villagers [63]. A selenium yeast product increased mercury excretion and decreased oxidative stress-related biomarkers urinary malondialdehyde and 8-hydroxy-2-deoxyguanosine [63].

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3312275/

In individuals with higher exposure or body burden, sweat generally exceeded plasma or urine concentrations, and dermal could match or surpass urinary daily excretion. Arsenic dermal excretion was severalfold higher in arsenic-exposed individuals than in unexposed controls. Cadmium was more concentrated in sweat than in blood plasma. Sweat lead was associated with high-molecular-weight molecules, and in an interventional study, levels were higher with endurance compared with intensive exercise. Mercury levels normalized with repeated saunas in a case report. Sweating deserves consideration for toxic element detoxification. Research including appropriately sized trials is needed to establish safe, effective therapeutic protocols.

On ebay they sell home portable infrared saunas. I bought one ages ago. They work really well.

andy_g

Postby andy_g » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks for the reply, I had already seen the first but not the second article/publication (about sweat).

Which worries me because if it comes out on your sweat then you need to wash very often, bed sheets, clothes, even furniture?

Has anyone got experience with other agents outside of DMSA ?

Marya

Postby Marya » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:45 am

andy_g wrote:Thanks for the reply, I had already seen the first but not the second article/publication (about sweat).

Which worries me because if it comes out on your sweat then you need to wash very often, bed sheets, clothes, even furniture?

Has anyone got experience with other agents outside of DMSA ?

I have tried ALA, Glutathione and MSM. MSM was the best for me.
Good luck!

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”