High cortisol level

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Marya

High cortisol level

Postby Marya » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:17 am

I have a high cortisol level, and it is making me feel anxious and in fight-or-flight response! I don't feel comfortable and a bit afraid. that's results on my actions and decisions. Would you please recommend anything?

I have these two recommendation:
1-phosphatidylserine ( But it increase Dopamine which something I have to avoid) So it is not suitable for me
2-Rhodiola (Also increase Dopamine)

I wonder if anyone here has tried something good to stable cortisol?
Cortisol for me is a big issue and if I could stable it, everything else can be treated and under control!
I need help please :(

FatherOf2

Re: High cortisol level

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:42 am

Quercetin will reduce cortisol, but you already tried it and it didn't work. Most experts would say that you have high cortisol because of anxiety and stress and not the other way around. So, reducing anxiety is the best way to reduce cortisol. As you know, I am giving my son SSRI Lexapro. I increased the dose to 5mg 1x/day. So far, he is doing OK, more social.

Ivia

Postby Ivia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:12 pm

FatherOf2,
is it Quercetin safe for long-term use or you doing a break?
If you doing a break, after how much time and how long does the break last?
I wonder because I found on the Internet information that the safety of Quercetin supplementation for long periods hasn't been checked. But that supplement also helps my son very much (no aggression)...

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:15 pm

Ivia wrote:FatherOf2,
is it Quercetin safe for long-term use or you doing a break?
If you doing a break, after how much time and how long does the break last?
I wonder because I found on the Internet information that the safety of Quercetin supplementation for long periods hasn't been checked. But that supplement also helps my son very much (no aggression)...

I haven't seen any warnings regarding long term use of Quercetin. I have been giving it for at least 3 months non stop. Since it is derived from fruits and vegetables, which my son doesn't eat, it shouldn't hurt. But I need to check.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Marya, this article is a good summary of things that reduce stress and cortisol: http://www.lifeextension.com/protocols/emotional-health/stress-management/page-02

I didn't know that DHEA counters the action of cortisol. Perhaps it is wort looking into. The other supplement that attracted my attention is Schisandra, but I never tried it. It came up on my multiple searches into healing herbs for brain injuries. Finally, every now and then I give my son Bacopa, which is also mentioned in that article. It improves mood and attention of my son but very slightly (I only give half of a capsule a day). I use Synapsa brand from Doctor's Best, which is considered the best source of Bacopa. Other brands may make you sleepy or not work at all.

Marya

Postby Marya » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks Fatherof2 for your replies. I had a look on that site. I have tried Valerian and Passiflora last month and they are ok. I'm going to try Lemon balm and see. They are all mentioned there. I have tried Bacopa and it gave me the same results as your son, very slightly reslut. But the one I've tried from Hamalya. I tried one last year from Paradise but I think Hamalya is better. How did you find out about Doctor's best one?

Marya

Postby Marya » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:59 am

FatherOf2 wrote:Marya, this article is a good summary of things that reduce stress and cortisol: http://www.lifeextension.com/protocols/emotional-health/stress-management/page-02

I didn't know that DHEA counters the action of cortisol. Perhaps it is wort looking into. The other supplement that attracted my attention is Schisandra, but I never tried it. It came up on my multiple searches into healing herbs for brain injuries. Finally, every now and then I give my son Bacopa, which is also mentioned in that article. It improves mood and attention of my son but very slightly (I only give half of a capsule a day). I use Synapsa brand from Doctor's Best, which is considered the best source of Bacopa. Other brands may make you sleepy or not work at all.

Hi Fatherof2, guess what cause my higher level of cortisol? It was MSM unfortunately!! I was suffering from a fight and flight response since I reintroduced it on 18 July. Even though I was stressed out I didn't want to believe it because MSM cured most symptoms of autism especially silly and sluggish thinking and behaviour. But I can't tolerate the feeling of panic! I did then some research of MSM and cortisol and I found that it increase the cortisol level by affecting adrenal gland function. My genes test came up with some concerns regarding high cortisol so I have to be careful and avoid anything that harm the adrenal gland. I was thinking to take NAC instead and I looked up if it would affect cortisol but I haven't found that it does, however, it may affect yeast in the gut but probably at high dose. Do you know about NAC and adrenal gland or cortisol? I might take Selenium with NAC as well for anti oxidant and anti inflammation as I will stop taking MSM.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:51 pm

Marya wrote:Hi Fatherof2, guess what cause my higher level of cortisol? It was MSM unfortunately!! I was suffering from a fight and flight response since I reintroduced it on 18 July. Even though I was stressed out I didn't want to believe it because MSM cured most symptoms of autism especially silly and sluggish thinking and behaviour. But I can't tolerate the feeling of panic! I did then some research of MSM and cortisol and I found that it increase the cortisol level by affecting adrenal gland function. My genes test came up with some concerns regarding high cortisol so I have to be careful and avoid anything that harm the adrenal gland. I was thinking to take NAC instead and I looked up if it would affect cortisol but I haven't found that it does, however, it may affect yeast in the gut but probably at high dose. Do you know about NAC and adrenal gland or cortisol? I might take Selenium with NAC as well for anti oxidant and anti inflammation as I will stop taking MSM.

Theoretically, NAC should reduce cortisol because NAC is a precursor for glutathione, which reduces oxidative stress. Cortisol is generated by the body not only to fight physical stress but also as a response to oxidation stress and inflammation. There are users on other forums who claim that NAC reduced their anxiety. Since NAC is helping your brother so much, you should try it, the extended release formula like NAC Sustain from Jarrows because the half life for regular NAC is very short, a couple of hours.

I tried NAC on my son twice but only for 1 day. In both cases I didn't like the reaction and stopped, but that could be coincidental. I may try it again next week. Other things to consider are Ginseng (anxiety + ADHD), Quercetin (reduces corticotropin-releasing hormone/factor), and Chocolate (or even better unsweetened Cacao powder, very cheap, will reduce cortisol and increase brain power) https://www.beherbal.com/blogs/post/how-to-kick-depression-with-only-food-and-supplements

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Back to cortisol, stress, and inflammation. There is a good right up about cortisol here: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/111609p38.shtml The most important part of this write up is this one:
The following is a typical example of how the stress response operates as its intended survival mechanism:
1. An individual is faced with a stressor.
2. A complex hormonal cascade ensues, and the adrenals secrete cortisol.
3. Cortisol prepares the body for a fight-or-flight response by flooding it with glucose, supplying an immediate energy source to large muscles.
4. Cortisol inhibits insulin production in an attempt to prevent glucose from being stored, favoring its immediate use.
5. Cortisol narrows the arteries while the epinephrine increases heart rate, both of which force blood to pump harder and faster.
6. The individual addresses and resolves the situation.
7. Hormone levels return to normal.
... Chronic inflammation, caused by lifestyle factors such as poor diet and stress, keeps cortisol levels soaring, wreaking havoc on the immune system.

Besides raising cortisol levels, inflammation upregulates the kynurenine pathway through IDO enzyme (in the brain), which shunts tryptophan from the serotonin pathway resulting in low serotonin and higher anxiety and depression. Thus, upregulation of IDO is a marker of inflammation and many neurodegenerative diseases such as depression. IDO also inhibits T-cell activation due to tryptophan starvation, which leads to cancers. Thus, inhibition of IDO is also a pivotal area of research in cancer immunotherapy. Inhibition of IDO is one of the mechanisms behind many anti-virals like Valtrex.

Several natural substances will inhibit IDO, reduce inflammation, increase serotonin, and fight cancers:
- Curcumin
- EGCG
- Indole-3-Carbinol
- DIM
- Quercetin
- Baicalein
- Chrysin
- Apigenin
- Genistein

I think the most interesting among them are EGCG, Quercetin and Apigenin, which showed highest potency in slowing cancer growth. And if you are to downselect further, then Apigenin (flavone found in celery and parsley) may be worth a try. It is probably the most potent IDO inhibitor. There is also scientific evidence that it increases brain connections: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151210144912.htm:

...Apigenin works by binding to estrogen receptors, which affect the development, maturation, function, and plasticity of the nervous system. This group of hormones is known to delay the onset of psychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders such as schizophrenia, depression, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. However, the use of estrogen-based therapies is limited by the increased risk of estrogen-dependent tumors and cardiovascular problems.

Low estrogen activity is hypothesized to be one of the reason why autism occurrence is higher in males than females. However, you have to be careful with Apigenin. There are some reports that it may promote some cancers due to it being a phytoestrogen (EGCG, Quercetin and Genistein are also phytoestrogens): https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10549-006-9191-2. But this article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4610175/ claimed the opposite:

Treatment with high doses of phytoestrogens (apigenin, genistein, quercetin, naringenin) had the same efficiency in ER-positive and ER-negative cells. Incubation of breast cancer cells with apigenin revealed the highest cytotoxicity of this compound... It was shown that high doses of apigenin (50 μM) do not display estrogen-like activity and can suppress ER activation by 17β-estradiol.

Marya

Postby Marya » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:19 am

FatherOf2 wrote:Theoretically, NAC should reduce cortisol because NAC is a precursor for glutathione, which reduces oxidative stress. Cortisol is generated by the body not only to fight physical stress but also as a response to oxidation stress and inflammation. There are users on other forums who claim that NAC reduced their anxiety. Since NAC is helping your brother so much, you should try it, the extended release formula like NAC Sustain from Jarrows because the half life for regular NAC is very short, a couple of hours.

I tried NAC on my son twice but only for 1 day. In both cases I didn't like the reaction and stopped, but that could be coincidental. I may try it again next week. Other things to consider are Ginseng (anxiety + ADHD), Quercetin (reduces corticotropin-releasing hormone/factor), and Chocolate (or even better unsweetened Cacao powder, very cheap, will reduce cortisol and increase brain power) https://www.beherbal.com/blogs/post/how-to-kick-depression-with-only-food-and-supplements

Thank you farherof2 for all the information. I've stopped MSM yesterday and took NAC so far no panic, thank God! I had a fast breathing like if I was running all day before but today I feel better. I will miss MSM though because it was the cure for me. I took 500mg of NAC but I feel that I need more. How about the dose you give to your son?and which brand?
MSM also increase glutathione as NAC and reduce oxidative stress, but I think it affect adernal gland and as it is a methyl donor it may interfere with neurotransmitters.
Quercetin, Ginseng and Cacao powder are amazing but they may not be good for me since they increase dopamine. Quercetin and Curcumin came up a lot on my genes test as to be avoided.

Marya

Postby Marya » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:35 am

FatherOf2 wrote:
Several natural substances will inhibit IDO, reduce inflammation, increase serotonin, and fight cancers:
- Curcumin
- EGCG
- Indole-3-Carbinol
- DIM
- Quercetin
- Baicalein
- Chrysin
- Apigenin
- Genistein

I think the most interesting among them are EGCG, Quercetin and Apigenin, which showed highest potency in slowing cancer growth. And if you are to downselect further, then Apigenin (flavone found in celery and parsley) may be worth a try. It is probably the most potent IDO inhibitor. There is also scientific evidence that it increases brain connections: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151210144912.htm:

...Apigenin works by binding to estrogen receptors, which affect the development, maturation, function, and plasticity of the nervous system. This group of hormones is known to delay the onset of psychiatric and neurodegenerative disorders such as schizophrenia, depression, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. However, the use of estrogen-based therapies is limited by the increased risk of estrogen-dependent tumors and cardiovascular problems.

Low estrogen activity is hypothesized to be one of the reason why autism occurrence is higher in males than females. However, you have to be careful with Apigenin.

Thank you so much for all of this. I will consider Apigenin. The other supplements may increase dopamine. DIM is a supplememt came up a lot on my genes report as I think I have some mutations regarding low level of estrogen but I haven't tried yet since it increae estrogen and I'm afraid to touch hormones levels.
I'm just thinking about that article you attached. If i have low estrogen activity then it may be onec of the reason behind autism. I think the last blood test was ok but it may be not accurate or my estrogen fluctuate up and down. I will search about DIM but I will leave it for a while.

luis

Postby luis » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:14 am

Marya,

May I ask you how do you know that you have high cortisol ? Was it a blood or a saliva test ?
Or was it only a deduction from your symptoms ?

And, how do you know that MSM increases cortisol ?

(It's not just curiosity. I have a real interest on this subject.)

Thanks,

Luis

Marya

Postby Marya » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:07 pm

luis wrote:Marya,

May I ask you how do you know that you have high cortisol ? Was it a blood or a saliva test ?
Or was it only a deduction from your symptoms ?

And, how do you know that MSM increases cortisol ?

(It's not just curiosity. I have a real interest on this subject.)

Thanks,

Luis

I knew from my blood test. And I knew that MSM incrrases cortisol since it was the only supplement I was on at that time. Hope this helps!

luis

Postby luis » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Thank you very much, Marya !
All the best for you.

Marya

Postby Marya » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:37 am

luis wrote:Thank you very much, Marya !
All the best for you.

No problem. For you or anyone else interested, I gathered these for you;
MSM: MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) is a sulphur mineral. and natural pain killer. MSM blocks the inflammatory process while simultaneously stimulating the body’s natural anti-inflammatory hormone, cortisol. MSM also helps increase the synovial fluid level in joints and protects cartilage from being broken down

Source: https://www.nutrient.co.uk/glucosamine_ ... itin.shtml
MSM blocks inflammations and inflammatory processes. MSM enhances the activity of cortisol, a natural anti-inflammatory hormone produced by the body

source: http://www.msm-info.com/
MSM is a highly-effective methyl-donor so it may have something to do with the hippocampus part of the brain...which is where all the receptors are for cortisol and the other glucocorticoids (stress hormones).

MSM can be a lifesaver for some conditions, Autism is one of them. When I was on MSM most of Autism symptoms were at bay. But after some days you would know if it is right for you or not. I have already high level of cortisol due to genes mutations . So I can't tolerate anything that raise cortisol level even though a little bit. However, when I started taking MSM for the first time in my life last year, I didn't feel any side effects, but it was only for a month, and I assume it needs time to kick in and raise cortisol.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”