day 2 on SCD- core symptoms worse! die-off or intolerance

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

EmilyV

day 2 on SCD- core symptoms worse! die-off or intolerance

Postby EmilyV » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:11 pm

Dear all,
please help! We are doing SCD, intro diet, 2nd day on it. He regressed in his core symptoms of poor eye contact and some stimming. Is this something expected such as a die-off reaction, or is this intolerance? Maybe we should stop broths - meats cooked for too long? I did read before that bone broths contain too much glutamate, so we actually made just meat broth, but we did cook it for 4 hours. All other foods he is eating are those well tolerated in the past (eggs and boiled/broiled/baked meats and mashed carrots).
Thank you!

Nikkie111

Re: day 2 on SCD- core symptoms worse! die-off or intolerance

Postby Nikkie111 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 am

EmilyV wrote:Dear all,
please help! We are doing SCD, intro diet, 2nd day on it. He regressed in his core symptoms of poor eye contact and some stimming. Is this something expected such as a die-off reaction, or is this intolerance? Maybe we should stop broths - meats cooked for too long? I did read before that bone broths contain too much glutamate, so we actually made just meat broth, but we did cook it for 4 hours. All other foods he is eating are those well tolerated in the past (eggs and boiled/broiled/baked meats and mashed carrots).
Thank you!

This broth situation didn't work for my boy either it could be the glutamate but could be the lead leaking from the bones
You could try not giving broth or dairy just protein and veggies
Good luck x

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:24 am

Nikkie,
thanks. Did any diet work for you son?

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:04 pm

EmilyV wrote:Nikkie,
thanks. Did any diet work for you son?

Yes scd/gaps worked really well but without dairy or broths! After around 4 months of being very strict I introduced boiled potato and after couple more months I started giving buckwheat but after being soaked for two days and only couple of days a week.

He's doing great at the mo so I wouldn't change the diet for the world and highly recommend it- my personal advice if I may is try to not give same foods daily (very common in restricted diets) as you don't know what your kid might react to so balance is the key x

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks Nikkie,
this is helpful to know. If you have ANY other advice, please give it any time!
Do you have something like a summary of what helped your son?

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:50 am

EmilyV wrote:Thanks Nikkie,
this is helpful to know. If you have ANY other advice, please give it any time!
Do you have something like a summary of what helped your son?

Diet wise a good tip is to make butternut squash and courgette spaghetti , kids love it, you can make nice tomato or butternut squash stews as well just don't let them cook for long

Non diet wise we had massive help from antivirals (valtrex/immunovir) and buhner protocol for antivirals and antibiotics.....
Let me know if you need anything else x

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks Nikkie. He loves butternut squash. We should try courgette spaghetti as well.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”