Transdermal Omega 3

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

luis

Transdermal Omega 3

Postby luis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:00 pm

My son can't stand oral fish oil. His duodenum is very inflammed, and we can't make him better, besides years of treatments. He feels in pain when he takes oil capsules.

I know that he needs Omega 3. I've seen transdermal patches on the internet, but don't know if it works.

Oil has to be digested by bile salts, in the process called emulsification, which breaks the oil in little droplets that can be absorbed by the blood through the gut walls. This won't happen in transdermal application.

Could you please give me your thoughts ?

FatherOf2

Re: Transdermal Omega 3

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:28 pm

We used transdermal creams for glutathione, NAC and B complex. I am not sure if they worked at all. One thing for sure, the oil in the cream makes the skin dry over time, very dry. It is counter intuitive, but apparently skin stops producing its own oil if you apply external one. You can try and see if transdermal fish oil works. I have never heard of such thing.

luis

Re: Transdermal Omega 3

Postby luis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Fo2,
I've successfully used MB12 cream and magnesium oil. They get into bloodstream, I can assure that, for the results.
B12 is a vitamin, magnesium is a mineral, they both penetrate the bloodstream without problems.

As for Omega 3 fish oils, that's another story. Oil must be emulsified (divided into tiny pieces) to penetrate. There have been patents requests about it. I can't trust the transdermal patches for sale.

Recently, I've read studies about using a nanoemulsion substance (TCC) that would emulsify the omega oil and carry it into bloodstream. This is more plausible.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b03572

Unfortunately, I haven't found it for sale.

Thank you for your reply !
Any other comments will be welcome.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”