Anyone tried an individual B1

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Marya

Anyone tried an individual B1

Postby Marya » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi everyone,
Has anyone tried B1 at 100mg individually?
As per some recommendations I gave it a try, and I had a really boost of mental energy like if I took a very strong nootropic! :shock: I gave it to my brother and he became more Shchizophrenic(hearing voices) It could be a coincidence though.
I tried to research it but I haven't found any concern about it. I really didn't like that too much mental energy and as it wore off I felt worried.
I was thinking to reduce the dose to 50mg and see. Any experince with it, please?

FatherOf2

Re: Anyone tried an individual B1

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:35 am

There was a parent here, JeniB, who gave B1 to her son. Apparently, it helped him a lot. I don't know exactly how B1 works, but I recently came across it when I was studying things that increase histamine. Apparently B1 causes mast cells to degranulate and release histamine and, at the same time, blocks the DAO enzyme, which is supposed to break down histamine. But there could be other things behind B1 function that worsened your brother symptoms. For example, B1 is also supposed to reduce the release of dopamine in the prefrontal cortex. When dopamine levels are reduced, the amount of dopamine receptors increases as part of a compensatory system, which helps learning. Perhaps this is what caused your brother to become worse. In general, it is recommended to take B's as a complex because they work in synergy. I personally don't believe in B's: if I give my son B complex, I don't see any changes. If I stop them, I don't see any changes either. B6 on its own does increase irritability in my son (promotes conversion of histidine to histamine, L-DOPA to dopamine, inhibits MAO).

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:24 am

FatherOf2 wrote:There was a parent here, JeniB, who gave B1 to her son. Apparently, it helped him a lot. I don't know exactly how B1 works, but I recently came across it when I was studying things that increase histamine. Apparently B1 causes mast cells to degranulate and release histamine and, at the same time, blocks the DAO enzyme, which is supposed to break down histamine. But there could be other things behind B1 function that worsened your brother symptoms. For example, B1 is also supposed to reduce the release of dopamine in the prefrontal cortex. When dopamine levels are reduced, the amount of dopamine receptors increases as part of a compensatory system, which helps learning. Perhaps this is what caused your brother to become worse. In general, it is recommended to take B's as a complex because they work in synergy. I personally don't believe in B's: if I give my son B complex, I don't see any changes. If I stop them, I don't see any changes either. B6 on its own does increase irritability in my son (promotes conversion of histidine to histamine, L-DOPA to dopamine, inhibits MAO).

Thanks Fatherof2 for your reply. Apparently that what happened to my brother( dopamine receptors were increased) he sadly took Quetiapine after that, after he felt better and reduced his medications intake. However, I think B3 works in the other way that's why was an alternative medication for Schizophrenics over decades. I have read a lot about B3 therapy recently and it must reduce both dopamine and adernalin in patients. But it has to be at mega dose to work and I don't think my brother would take that much but we will start at 100mg and see.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:32 am

You made me think about B3 again. The question is which version? Niacin or Nicotinamide? One causes flushing and the other doesn't. Is flushing an important component of B3 action in schizophrenics? Remember that lack of flushing is one of the possible signs of schizophrenia.

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 am

FatherOf2 wrote:You made me think about B3 again. The question is which version? Niacin or Nicotinamide? One causes flushing and the other doesn't. Is flushing an important component of B3 action in schizophrenics? Remember that lack of flushing is one of the possible signs of schizophrenia.

I read a paper about that, I will post it here if I found it.
They assume that Niacin is better which causes flushing because that flushing increase blood flow in the brain, provides oxygen and nutrients. However, the lack of flushing in schizophrenics as you mentioned due to their lack of that vitamin and improper functioning in the body, so Niacin get stored wherever is needed.

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Update:
I took 50mg of Niacin and I didn't flush! I think it is low dose at least for me.
I found this:
It is difficult to predict a saturation level for niacin because each person is different. As a general rule, the more you hold, the more you need. If you flush early, you don't need much niacin. If flushing doesn't happen until a high level, then your body is obviously using the higher amount of the vitamin. But if you take niacin, you ARE going to flush.

I think my body need more than 50mg. However, I felt very relaxed(it teally has a sedative effect) I think it would help with anxiety or panic disorder.

Marya

Postby Marya » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:56 am

Beside the benefits of B3(Niacin) in decrease high levels of dopamine and adrenaline, increases bloodflow in the brain, and can reduce anxiety. It could increase the level of BDNF in the brain
Niacin also increases BDNF. Chinese scientists studying neural degeneration discovered that niacin and niacinamide increased BDNF and turned on "genes required for axonal development and neuronal survival".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4192966/

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”