enzymes side effects

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

giovanna

enzymes side effects

Postby giovanna » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:14 pm

My seven yo son is autistic and I started giving him Enzymedica Spectrum less than three weeks ago. I started slow, so he takes a third of a capsule with every meal. However, his behaviour has started to deteriorate to the point that his school is really not happy about his running away from class all the time, which he never used to do before. He looks more spaced out and rambles a lot. He also has puffy eyes and dark rings around his eyes, which he had a bit before, but now he looks worse. I read De Felice's book about enzymes and it does say that you might get this kind of effect initially, but I wonder if anybody has had something similar and did it get better? Right now I am really worried, my son looks worse than ever.

Ruvi

Re: enzymes side effects

Postby Ruvi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:22 am

Hi,
Are you talking about Chymotrypsin enzyme ?
I recently start this medicine to my son and I am facing similar behavior problem.

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:48 am

Hi Ruvi , no, I don't know what that enzyme is that you mention. We have been using Enzymedica Broad Spectrum and now I just added Virastop, which is now called Complete Defence. I have to say that as soon as I gave him the minimum dose yesterday my son seemed more chatty and realaxed, he even made a cake all by himself for the first time! But then he became really emotional and tearful and the bad language and anger came...We are having a long weekend, so he won't be back to school until Tuesday, so I have a couple of days left to play with the supps and see what happens. Unfortunately everything seems to set my son's mood off, whenever we try new supps. He is on Bioray Happy and Calm as well and he's been detoxing for over a year, so his system shouldn't be so bad, but you never know. I am hoping in some good reaction, like a fever or even chicken pox, to clear his system of hidden viruses, which I know he has. The few times he was ill with fever when he was little, he always improved, moodwise, but other than that he's never been ill, which is not a good thing for a little child!

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:53 am

giovanna wrote:Hi Ruvi , no, I don't know what that enzyme is that you mention. We have been using Enzymedica Broad Spectrum and now I just added Virastop, which is now called Complete Defence. I have to say that as soon as I gave him the minimum dose yesterday my son seemed more chatty and realaxed, he even made a cake all by himself for the first time! But then he became really emotional and tearful and the bad language and anger came...We are having a long weekend, so he won't be back to school until Tuesday, so I have a couple of days left to play with the supps and see what happens. Unfortunately everything seems to set my son's mood off, whenever we try new supps. He is on Bioray Happy and Calm as well and he's been detoxing for over a year, so his system shouldn't be so bad, but you never know. I am hoping in some good reaction, like a fever or even chicken pox, to clear his system of hidden viruses, which I know he has. The few times he was ill with fever when he was little, he always improved, moodwise, but other than that he's never been ill, which is not a good thing for a little child!

We ve been ok with all enzymes apart from virastop which made him feel and act very asd! I assume unlike other enzymes you give this with empty stomach?

With regards to viruses are you actually giving antivirals?

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:19 am

Yes, I give VIrastop on an empty stomach. So far no side effects, it's only been three days. Yesterday a little sore tummy, but very briefly. He is on two caps a day, plus Enzymedica Broad Spectrum, which he takes with meals (one cap with every meal).
I might up the dose soon if I don't see any effects, either good or bad.

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:20 am

By the way, Nikkie111, I don't give my son any antivirals, I think Virastop should be enough.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:01 am

giovanna wrote:By the way, Nikkie111, I don't give my son any antivirals, I think Virastop should be enough.

Thanks giovanna.... for us we had to go hardcore with antivirals, 4 different types of medicines, but I hope virastop does it for you

Good luck

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 am

My son took virastop when he was 4. It immediately made him calm and focused. It stayed that way for about a week. Then he went back to "normal". After that, giving hims virastop even after a break wouldn't do anything. I think these enzymes are hard on stomach lining, irritate it. You should try it on yourself to see if you get stomach pain. I usually try everything on myself before I give anything to my son.

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:36 pm

When you tried Virastop again after a break did you increase the dose or did you stay at the same dose? Sometimes you need to increase to get to the right level. I do try sups on myself too, enzymes are ok for me, they help me digest, especially carbs, but when I first started my son on Enzymedica Spectrum, he got really hyper for the first three weeks and I was giving him only a third of a capsule per meal! Then I gradually increase to one cap per meal and then on Frday I introduced Virastop, which made him irritable the first day, today I gave him 5x in total and he seems happy enough. I would like to see him perma-mucus gone at least...

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:50 am

giovanna wrote:When you tried Virastop again after a break did you increase the dose or did you stay at the same dose? Sometimes you need to increase to get to the right level. I do try sups on myself too, enzymes are ok for me, they help me digest, especially carbs, but when I first started my son on Enzymedica Spectrum, he got really hyper for the first three weeks and I was giving him only a third of a capsule per meal! Then I gradually increase to one cap per meal and then on Frday I introduced Virastop, which made him irritable the first day, today I gave him 5x in total and he seems happy enough. I would like to see him perma-mucus gone at least...

Not sure for Fo2 but we did start low and then increased it ... we definitely saw improvements initially but nowhere near to the level of some herbal or some medicinal antivirals
Also when improvement plateaued we then started seeing a lot of irritation and regression!!
But it truly has worked for some parents so keep us updated

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:16 am

Well, yesteday my son had x5 caps of Virastop and I guess I jumped the gun too soon, because in the evening he had a big stomach ache and went to bed with a hot water bottle, no dinner at all...So today I'm keeping him off all supps and start again tomorrow, but slow and go back to x2 Virastop, plus 3x Spectrum enzymes and the Tyrosine.
He used to be on loads of supps that his naturopath recommended after his dna test, but I found that he couldn't tolerate the CoQ10 at all (he threw up every time he took it) and the LDN did nothing at all, either good or bad. He is also completely intolerant of B12, methyl or hydroxo, he just goes crazy mad on it. I guess dna tests are great to give you an idea of what is going on, but that doesn't mean it's that straightforward...
Before the dna test I used Enhansa, which was great and I'm going back on it, and Cytoflora, Calm and Happy.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:32 pm

giovanna wrote:Well, yesteday my son had x5 caps of Virastop and I guess I jumped the gun too soon, because in the evening he had a big stomach ache and went to bed with a hot water bottle, no dinner at all...So today I'm keeping him off all supps and start again tomorrow, but slow and go back to x2 Virastop, plus 3x Spectrum enzymes and the Tyrosine.
He used to be on loads of supps that his naturopath recommended after his dna test, but I found that he couldn't tolerate the CoQ10 at all (he threw up every time he took it) and the LDN did nothing at all, either good or bad. He is also completely intolerant of B12, methyl or hydroxo, he just goes crazy mad on it. I guess dna tests are great to give you an idea of what is going on, but that doesn't mean it's that straightforward...
Before the dna test I used Enhansa, which was great and I'm going back on it, and Cytoflora, Calm and Happy.

We had same issues with those bloody DNA tests, total waste. This is more complicated area than immunology I think as you need to look at combinations of SNPs plus some mutations are not even expressed

Anyway if virastop irritates him too much you might want to consider keeping it low but adding something else with it either drug or herb like OLE
Good luck

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Agreed, Nikkie111.
Bioray Happy has OLE and other herbs that help eliminate unwanted parasites and heavy metals from the digestive system. My son was on Liver Life for a long time last year, to detox his liver and it took a long time, as it was really toxic and even on drop of the stuff in a glass of water was enough to make him really irritable, but slowly he managed until his urine Ph was in range, which meant that his liver was finally clear.
The gut is really the key, I think: one of the major breakthrough was when I gave my son Cytoflora and within TWO DAYS his speech made an amazing jump! How does a pre-biotic improve speech??? But it does and I'm not the only one to experience this.
The naturopath who read the dna test was more concerned about my son's mitochondrial mutations, that's why he focused on Mito Restore and COQ10, but, as I said, total waste of money, he can't keep the stuff in! Besides, if his mitochondria are so dysfunctional and are the cause of intellectual delay, I really don't think there is much I can do about it.

giovanna

Re: PQQ SIDE EFFECTS

Postby giovanna » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:55 am

Yesterday I introduced Kirkman's PQQ 20mg and this morning my son wakes up with sore tummy and feeling sick. I know he was actually sick with COQ10, which I had to stop for this reason and that is why I am trying PQQ instead, but it looks like he can't tolerate that either.
Can anybody explain why this is happening? All the articles I read on these mito supps state that there are virtually no known side effects and nausea is very rare.
My son is quite good at tolerating all the other supps. The naturopath who read his DNA test was really concerned about my son's mitochondrial stress and recommended quite a lot of COQ10 and other mito support, but I had to stop all that.
Has anybody had this experience with mito support?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:40 pm

You need to check inactive ingredients. I gave my son vit E tocotrienols in some exotic oil in softgels, and he thew up, which was the first time ever. Then I bought a different vit E, still tocotrienols, but softgel'd in a different oil, and he was fine.

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:49 pm

I thought about that too with the coq10 and changed brand, because the first one had some orange flavourings, but the result was the same. the Kirkman PQQ has nothing else added from what I can see on the ingredients list.

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 am

Hi all, just to give an update on Vira Stop: my son is on 4 caps a day, taken with Candidase. No more side effects of sore stomach or anything like that. The perma-mucus in his nose seems less (I don't hear the usual snorting sound anymore from my son's sinusis), but, other than that, no great results either. He is also taking Spectrum enzymes, one cap for each meal.
I read that some kids were on 20 caps of Vira Stop a day before they could see any results; how is it possible to take that many pills? I'm not even going into the cost of following that particular protocol, but surely taking that much of anything can't be a good thing?

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 am

giovanna wrote:Hi all, just to give an update on Vira Stop: my son is on 4 caps a day, taken with Candidase. No more side effects of sore stomach or anything like that. The perma-mucus in his nose seems less (I don't hear the usual snorting sound anymore from my son's sinusis), but, other than that, no great results either. He is also taking Spectrum enzymes, one cap for each meal.
I read that some kids were on 20 caps of Vira Stop a day before they could see any results; how is it possible to take that many pills? I'm not even going into the cost of following that particular protocol, but surely taking that much of anything can't be a good thing?

No I wouldn't do that either just doesnt sound right
Maybe look for other natural or med antivirals
Good luck

giovanna

Postby giovanna » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:11 pm

We finished the bottle of Virastop and Candidase, I can't say there was a difference. I have also finished the bottle of Spectrum and just started Enzymedica Gold, which includes probiotics, so I don't need a separate bottle of probiotics. My son has a rash around his mouth now, it doesn't bother him. I have read other posts about rash around the mouth from enzymes, but it's still not clear whether it's a cleansing reaction or a side effect?
The regression in behaviour caused by the enzymes has gone, thanks largely to Bach flower remedies, which are a life saver.

giovanna

CARNOSINE

Postby giovanna » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:58 pm

Have been giving l-carnosine to my son, 800mg a day. I have not seen any effect so far, either good or bad. I know it's early days, but I read that this supp acts quickly, so you can tell pretty fast wether it works or not.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”