My experience with CDP-Choline

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Marya

My experience with CDP-Choline

Postby Marya » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:48 am

Hi folks,
Happy weekend!
So recently about 5 days ago, I've started taking CDP-Choline. After 2 days I felt well enough.
What I have noticed so far, my cold and sweat hands and feet are nicely dry now :D
I no longer have fears so I feel confident and content.
For cognition I feel it gave me a bit of focus, it may take time to work for cognition and memory, I'm not sure but will record after a while.
Interestingly, there is a study on treating Schizophrenia with CDP-Choline and a drug called Galantamine.
Here is a topic
http://www.schizophrenic.com/content/sc ... nt/choline
And this is the paper of the study
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20041669

Aspie1983

Re: My experience with CDP-Choline

Postby Aspie1983 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:02 am

Hi Marya,

I have a similar experience with CDP-Choline, started it a few weeks ago, my cognitive and emotional capacity has more than doubled!
Ive been using 250-500mg a day, sometimes I find that I sometimes get euphoria, over arousal and intense emotional revelations with the 500mg dose, so I dont see any pointi in going any higher.

I have Aspergers syndrome and according to examine.com on CDP-Choline it seems that increases activity in alot of important areas including the amygdala (I believe I have hypofunction there by nature).
If you want to read more about my experiences Im also active on epiphany blogspot.

If anyone who has also has Aspergers is reading this, I would highly recommend trying CDP-Choline.

What were you diagnosed with by the way Marya?

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Aspie1983 wrote:Hi Marya,

I have a similar experience with CDP-Choline, started it a few weeks ago, my cognitive and emotional capacity has more than doubled!
Ive been using 250-500mg a day, sometimes I find that I sometimes get euphoria, over arousal and intense emotional revelations with the 500mg dose, so I dont see any pointi in going any higher.

I have Aspergers syndrome and according to examine.com on CDP-Choline it seems that increases activity in alot of important areas including the amygdala (I believe I have hypofunction there by nature).
If you want to read more about my experiences Im also active on epiphany blogspot.

If anyone who has also has Aspergers is reading this, I would highly recommend trying CDP-Choline.

Hi Aspie, I had a good experience with CDP-Choline and I became high function while on it. My executive function got better!
I stopped it for a while because I don't want to become tolerant to it. the research suggests taking it with a drug called Galantamine to avoid receptors desensitization. For how long have you been taking it? and does it still working for you? The last question, are you taking other supplements that boost it or on its own? I was taking it with my regime(NAC, Omega3, vitamin D, Lion's mane)
I was on 250mg CDP-Choline by the way and I never took more than that since it was enough for me( I'm under weight so probably that's why)
I didn't know that it is important for the amygdala area! I know it boost acetyl choline in the brain so it support brain function.
I will read on that!
What were you diagnosed with by the way Marya

I was diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism syndrome.

Honestly, after trying CDP-choline I'm thinking to try Piracetam, It is very safe and effective. Have you considered it?

Aspie1983

Postby Aspie1983 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:03 am

Marya wrote:
Aspie1983 wrote:Hi Marya,

Hi Aspie, I had a good experience with CDP-Choline and I became high function while on it. My executive function got better!
I stopped it for a while because I don't want to become tolerant to it. the research suggests taking it with a drug called Galantamine to avoid receptors desensitization. For how long have you been taking it? and does it still working for you? The last question, are you taking other supplements that boost it or on its own? I was taking it with my regime(NAC, Omega3, vitamin D, Lion's mane)
I was on 250mg CDP-Choline by the way and I never took more than that since it was enough for me( I'm under weight so probably that's why)
I didn't know that it is important for the amygdala area! I know it boost acetyl choline in the brain so it support brain function.
I will read on that!
What were you diagnosed with by the way Marya

I was diagnosed with Aspergers/Autism syndrome.

Honestly, after trying CDP-choline I'm thinking to try Piracetam, It is very safe and effective. Have you considered it?

Same here Marya, I have been using it for about a month in total now and I can strongly recommend this to anyone with Aspergers, I have not noticed any tollerance to it yet, taking it on an empty stomach seems to give better effects compared to taking it with a meal.
I also use NAC, taurine, glutamine, citrulline, omega3 and I also responded very well to cordyceps which I used 2-3months ago but ran out of my supply.
Piracetam puts my brain into overdrive (even at 400mg), Im not sure if I really liked the effect, it certainly helps to 'understand' things more easy and made life less stressfull, however it felt as if my emotional capacity was behind my cognitive function while on it.
It will definatly help your cognitive function, however start low, the pills I have are 800mg and they can be broken into half, but im sure that even 200mg might have an effect on you.
On other forums Ive also read that piracetam is used by alot of people with aspergers, this is due to it affecting the corpus callosum which allows more efficient communication between the left and right side of the brain.
Vitamin d3 I have stopped using as my levels have more than double exceeded the upper limit (it definatly was beneficial though).

Marya

Postby Marya » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Aspie1983 wrote:
Same here Marya, I have been using it for about a month in total now and I can strongly recommend this to anyone with Aspergers, I have not noticed any tollerance to it yet, taking it on an empty stomach seems to give better effects compared to taking it with a meal.
I also use NAC, taurine, glutamine, citrulline, omega3 and I also responded very well to cordyceps which I used 2-3months ago but ran out of my supply.
Piracetam puts my brain into overdrive (even at 400mg), Im not sure if I really liked the effect, it certainly helps to 'understand' things more easy and made life less stressfull, however it felt as if my emotional capacity was behind my cognitive function while on it.
It will definatly help your cognitive function, however start low, the pills I have are 800mg and they can be broken into half, but im sure that even 200mg might have an effect on you.
On other forums Ive also read that piracetam is used by alot of people with aspergers, this is due to it affecting the corpus callosum which allows more efficient communication between the left and right side of the brain.
Vitamin d3 I have stopped using as my levels have more than double exceeded the upper limit (it definatly was beneficial though).

Ah you are lucky then if you haven't noticed any tolerance. I would try Piracetam. Would you recommend any brand please?

If CDP-Choline work well with you, I would recommend you to try a drug called Galantamine. It is very safe drug and children here have already taken it. You can get it prescribed from your doctor. The reason I'm recommending this is because CDP-Choline down regulates alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. How long that takes I don’t know yet. Galantamine is used to upregulate a7 nAchR. There are some research out there that they combined them but I think they shouldn’t be taken simultaneously. A friend has recommended this to me and I'm going to try it shortly. I would take CDP-Choline 2-3 weeks then Galantamine 1 week. If you try it keep us updated please and I will update my experience here as well.

Aspie1983

Postby Aspie1983 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:40 am

Marya wrote:
Aspie1983 wrote:

Ah you are lucky then if you haven't noticed any tolerance. I would try Piracetam. Would you recommend any brand please?

If CDP-Choline work well with you, I would recommend you to try a drug called Galantamine. It is very safe drug and children here have already taken it. You can get it prescribed from your doctor. The reason I'm recommending this is because CDP-Choline down regulates alpha 7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. How long that takes I don’t know yet. Galantamine is used to upregulate a7 nAchR. There are some research out there that they combined them but I think they shouldn’t be taken simultaneously. A friend has recommended this to me and I'm going to try it shortly. I would take CDP-Choline 2-3 weeks then Galantamine 1 week. If you try it keep us updated please and I will update my experience here as well.

Marya I have already tried galantamine, it insentified ONLY MY NEGATIVE MEMORIES/EMOTIONS, and gave me the 'sludge syndrome' a well known side effect of galantamine.
I tried both 2mg and 4mg per day, I did notice better sleep quality on that, thats about the only positive though, I couldnt handle the negative emotions amplification and fatigue from it.
I still got the almost entirely full botth (got it from amazon), I might try it in the futre and only take 1mg, but it is annoying considering the capsules are filled with 4mg.

Have you tried inositol? this worked great for my repetive behavior and social life, the only downside with it was that the effect only seemed to last 3 hours then I would have to redose, however it tastes very sweet and can easily be mixed in any drink and carry that with you the entire day.

Marya

Postby Marya » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Aspie1983 wrote:
Marya I have already tried galantamine, it insentified ONLY MY NEGATIVE MEMORIES/EMOTIONS, and gave me the 'sludge syndrome' a well known side effect of galantamine.
I tried both 2mg and 4mg per day, I did notice better sleep quality on that, thats about the only positive though, I couldnt handle the negative emotions amplification and fatigue from it.
I still got the almost entirely full botth (got it from amazon), I might try it in the futre and only take 1mg, but it is annoying considering the capsules are filled with 4mg.

Have you tried inositol? this worked great for my repetive behavior and social life, the only downside with it was that the effect only seemed to last 3 hours then I would have to redose, however it tastes very sweet and can easily be mixed in any drink and carry that with you the entire day.

Ah I see. Sorry to hear that! I have read some where that the prescribed Galantamine is better than the supplement one though. I know what you are talking about when you said negative memories and emotions, I had a similar experience with some supplements in the past which were supposed to boost memory and brain chemicals. But since CDP-Choline worked well for me I need to upregulate the receptors at least one week monthly with low dose 2mg. I meant I'm not going to take Galantamine for a basic treatment and daily, just to make everything in track, if you know what I mean. My protocol is as this; 2-3 weeks CDP-Choline and 1 week Galantamine. They shouldn't be combined!

The other reason that I want to take Galantamine for is verbal fluidity! Have you noticed any effect on your verbal while on it? If not what have you taken for that?
I haven't tried inositol. Oh wow that's actually great!! CDP-choline was good for social life indeed!
I'm looking for something to help with my executive function these days and so far choline seems the best. Pircetam should be the next but I'm still not sure if I should try it.

Aspie1983

Postby Aspie1983 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:24 am

Piracetam is a well studied drug and from what I know has quite a high safety profile indeed.

The pills I got are 800mg each and it says Piracetam AL 800 and the rest is all in russian honestly, so cant make much sense of that :)

They do work but I only use them if I got alot of work to do, Ive noticed it puts my intelligence/processing speed in overdrive and it seems to lessen my emotional response somewhat.

Marya

Postby Marya » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Aspie1983 wrote:Piracetam is a well studied drug and from what I know has quite a high safety profile indeed.

The pills I got are 800mg each and it says Piracetam AL 800 and the rest is all in russian honestly, so cant make much sense of that :)

They do work but I only use them if I got alot of work to do, Ive noticed it puts my intelligence/processing speed in overdrive and it seems to lessen my emotional response somewhat.

From which company did you purchase your Piracetam?
Hopefully it is not expensive!
You actually reminded me of MSM when I was on it, it gave me a good mental clarity and processing speed. But then it increased my cortisol level and I stopped it. Have you tried it ?

Aspie1983

Postby Aspie1983 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Marya wrote:
Aspie1983 wrote:Piracetam is a well studied drug and from what I know has quite a high safety profile indeed.

From which company did you purchase your Piracetam?
Hopefully it is not expensive!
You actually reminded me of MSM when I was on it, it gave me a good mental clarity and processing speed. But then it increased my cortisol level and I stopped it. Have you tried it ?

Hi Marya,

I got them from docsimon (https://www.docsimon.com/), but there alot of sources you can easily get piracetam from honestly, im not sure if you are familiar with the nootropics reddit, but piracetam has been heaviliy discussed there and finding a reliable vendor should not be hard at all.
And yes they are cheap.

With regards to MSM I responded horribly to that, I strongly suspect im an overmethylator, I get raging anger issues on TMG aswell (trimethylglycine), my body just screams NO NO NO NO, the odd thing is that this anger isnt directed against anyone its almost as if this anger is a reflection of being angry at my own body that I just ingested something that my body absolutely hates!
Piracetam does not give me aggression issues, but like I said before it does put my brain into overdrive literally.
I notice when my brain processes too fast I start to make errors, which my body just doesnt like, once again 200-400mg for me is optimal anymore = overkill and works against me instead of with me.

Bit of a question unrelated to supplements and the like: were you always thirsty as a kid and still are now? this seems very very common in people with aspergers and highly suggest oxytocin/vasopressin malfunction.
They are both water controlling hormones (mainly to prevent water loss) and obviously also critical for social functioning.

Now Inositol and Taurine are both osmolytes and indeed strongly effect my mood.
If I take more than 3gram taurine my sexual urges get out of hand and I tend to have too much meaningless sex, which annoys me as I want more of a romantic feel to it...
Inositol on the other end seems to make me socially more open and I absolutely love the effect but it is very short lived (2-3hours then needs redosing), also higher doses of inositol gives gas and intestinal discomfort, something that took me so long to fix with the help of probiotics and such.

Have you tried inositol?

Also Im sure you are aware that cdp-choline effect both vasopressin and oxytocin in multiple studies?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Aspie, have you tried Rhodiola. I have been giving 'Perfect' Rhodiola (200mg in am) to my son for the past 3 weeks. The results so far are great. My son is more 'awake' on it, speaks and plays more, engages with peers. I believe it is due to its dopamine raising properties and the fact that my son has MTHFR A1298C +/+ mutation, which makes him deficient in dopamine and serotonin. One day I forgot to give Rhodiola to him, and that day he was back to his 'normal' sleepy don't-care look. School said he did poorly that day. The next day, when I didn't forget Rhodiola, school reported that he had a great day. I think the trick with Rhodiola, which will cause tolerance if given continuously just like any other drug/supplement, is to give a break for 1-2 days a week (for instance, don't give on weekend) or have 2-4 weeks on/1-2 weeks off cycling. We are going to try cordyceps next, another dopamine raising supplement.

Aspie1983

Postby Aspie1983 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi,

I seem to respond bad to serotoninergic drugs and supplements, and yes I have tried rhodiola, I didnt really like it.
I have just been looking at the video about Suramin, which looks by far the most promising out of everything.

https://vimeo.com/239193768

As far as 23andme data, I have not done mine eventhough I probably should.
I strongly benefit from mitochondria enhancers, gut microbiome alteration and things that dampen my immune function.

Look on epiphany blogspot, I am highly active on there.
What has your son been diagnosed with?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:15 pm

My son has a classical autism, regressed at 1.5 to 2y, regained speech at 3y on Piracetam, abnormal EEG, no eye contact, speech delay, cognitive problems, narrow interests, tantrums and SIB (now almost gone), social awkwardness. Things that helped most are Piracetam, HBOT, Trileptal (got rid off SIB and helped EEG), Lamictal (helped with social and completely stabilized EEG, reduced speech regressions), now Rhodiola.

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:44 am

Aspie1983 wrote:
Hi Marya,

I got them from docsimon (https://www.docsimon.com/), but there alot of sources you can easily get piracetam from honestly, im not sure if you are familiar with the nootropics reddit, but piracetam has been heaviliy discussed there and finding a reliable vendor should not be hard at all.
And yes they are cheap.

With regards to MSM I responded horribly to that, I strongly suspect im an overmethylator, I get raging anger issues on TMG aswell (trimethylglycine), my body just screams NO NO NO NO, the odd thing is that this anger isnt directed against anyone its almost as if this anger is a reflection of being angry at my own body that I just ingested something that my body absolutely hates!
Piracetam does not give me aggression issues, but like I said before it does put my brain into overdrive literally.
I notice when my brain processes too fast I start to make errors, which my body just doesnt like, once again 200-400mg for me is optimal anymore = overkill and works against me instead of with me.

Bit of a question unrelated to supplements and the like: were you always thirsty as a kid and still are now? this seems very very common in people with aspergers and highly suggest oxytocin/vasopressin malfunction.
They are both water controlling hormones (mainly to prevent water loss) and obviously also critical for social functioning.

If I take more than 3gram taurine my sexual urges get out of hand and I tend to have too much meaningless sex, which annoys me as I want more of a romantic feel to it...
Inositol on the other end seems to make me socially more open and I absolutely love the effect but it is very short lived (2-3hours then needs redosing), also higher doses of inositol gives gas and intestinal discomfort, something that took me so long to fix with the help of probiotics and such.

Have you tried inositol?

Also Im sure you are aware that cdp-choline effect both vasopressin and oxytocin in multiple studies?

Thank you Aspie for the details about Pircetam! I will order some shortly.
Regarding your question, no I wasn't thirsty as a kid but now yes due to some supplements I'm taking!
How much do you take regularly of taurine? I only take 500mg before bedtime and it is ok, but I would increase it a little bit.
I haven't tried inositol yet but I will give it a try once I finish my current course.
Honestly, I didn't know about the effect of CDP-Choline on vasopressin and oxytocin but I will read about that. Thanks for letting me know.

I wish there was something would help to stable my mood! sometimes I feel happy and good and during the evening or at night the mood just switch and I feel that I want cry!

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:55 am

FatherOf2 wrote:Aspie, have you tried Rhodiola. I have been giving 'Perfect' Rhodiola (200mg in am) to my son for the past 3 weeks. The results so far are great. My son is more 'awake' on it, speaks and plays more, engages with peers. I believe it is due to its dopamine raising properties and the fact that my son has MTHFR A1298C +/+ mutation, which makes him deficient in dopamine and serotonin. One day I forgot to give Rhodiola to him, and that day he was back to his 'normal' sleepy don't-care look. School said he did poorly that day. The next day, when I didn't forget Rhodiola, school reported that he had a great day. I think the trick with Rhodiola, which will cause tolerance if given continuously just like any other drug/supplement, is to give a break for 1-2 days a week (for instance, don't give on weekend) or have 2-4 weeks on/1-2 weeks off cycling. We are going to try cordyceps next, another dopamine raising supplement.

Hi FatherOf2, I'm glad that your son doing well while on Rhodiola. I started to taking it again but I stopped it because I'm not sure if I have low or high dopamine. I jus have a question unrelated to that, I didn't see Choline on your recommendation list recently. Does that mean you are no longer interested in choline receptors treatment?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 am

I just forgot to include them. Choline CDP and Galantamine whould have been on that list.

Aspie1983

Postby Aspie1983 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Marya wrote:
Aspie1983 wrote:
Hi Marya,

And yes they are cheap.

Have you tried inositol?

Thank you Aspie for the details about Pircetam! I will order some shortly.
Regarding your question, no I wasn't thirsty as a kid but now yes due to some supplements I'm taking!
How much do you take regularly of taurine? I only take 500mg before bedtime and it is ok, but I would increase it a little bit.
I haven't tried inositol yet but I will give it a try once I finish my current course.
Honestly, I didn't know about the effect of CDP-Choline on vasopressin and oxytocin but I will read about that. Thanks for letting me know.

I wish there was something would help to stable my mood! sometimes I feel happy and good and during the evening or at night the mood just switch and I feel that I want cry!

I take about 3grams of taurine a day, thought I probably could go with 1gram a day now, it has helped completely annihilate my mildy elevated bloodpressure due to daily stressors with the help of some other supplements that I take aswell, but I feel as if taurine is responsible for atleast 70% of the effect.

Seems you respond the same to most of the supplements as me, so wondered about the thirst :)

Aspie1983

Postby Aspie1983 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:27 pm

FatherOf2 wrote:My son has a classical autism, regressed at 1.5 to 2y, regained speech at 3y on Piracetam, abnormal EEG, no eye contact, speech delay, cognitive problems, narrow interests, tantrums and SIB (now almost gone), social awkwardness. Things that helped most are Piracetam, HBOT, Trileptal (got rid off SIB and helped EEG), Lamictal (helped with social and completely stabilized EEG, reduced speech regressions), now Rhodiola.

I was talking really late from what Ive heard from my parents aswell, piracetam makes life too 'clear' for me so to speak, it makes me feel too smart and takes the mystery out of life and the joys that come along with it some times, thats why I only take pira if I got alot of work to do, and take 400mg max per day.

Marya

Postby Marya » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:12 pm

Aspie1983 wrote:
FatherOf2 wrote:My son has a classical autism, regressed at 1.5 to 2y, regained speech at 3y on Piracetam, abnormal EEG, no eye contact, speech delay, cognitive problems, narrow interests, tantrums and SIB (now almost gone), social awkwardness. Things that helped most are Piracetam, HBOT, Trileptal (got rid off SIB and helped EEG), Lamictal (helped with social and completely stabilized EEG, reduced speech regressions), now Rhodiola.

I was talking really late from what Ive heard from my parents aswell, piracetam makes life too 'clear' for me so to speak, it makes me feel too smart and takes the mystery out of life and the joys that come along with it some times, thats why I only take pira if I got alot of work to do, and take 400mg max per day.

Hey FatherOf2 and Aspie, I think Piracetam is such a miracle supplement! I've looked it up and found that also schizophrenics take it and benefit from it! Thus, I would check with my brother's psychiatric if it would be possible to give him a low dose of Pircetam.
Here are some sources
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6415738
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17685739
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10583700
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/116278
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20163115
What I didn't know about Pircetam, it regulates Glutamate which is not only going to benefit Schizophrenics but also Autistics/Asperger's and bipolar disorder ..etc
FatherOf2, why did you stop giving it to your son? Because of tolerance? And have you thought of reintroduce it again?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Experts say Piracetam only helps those who needs it. I took Piracetam, and it did absolutely nothing at 800mg or 1200mg. My son on the other hand, had greatly improved memory and reaction time on Piracetam. It made him to seek communication with us and use words within just a couple of days of starting Piracetam. So, it was the biggest wow for us. But after he started talking, Piracetam wasn't contributing to social conversation, but to verbal stimming and echolalia. Galantamine was more helpful with social speech, but the effect only lasted 2-3 weeks. Namenda brought overall calmness and social language, but eventually led to irritability. If MCT oil is fuel for the brain, XCT oil is jet fuel: MCT oil helped my son, but XCT oil made him crazy. My son also took Russian nootropic Pantogam, but I didn't notice any wow's. Piracetam was better.

One of the interesting nootropics is Modafinil. It increases dopamine, but not as habit forming as ADHD drugs.

Marya, for us, Rhodiola is much better than Piracetam. It is like a missing piece of a puzzle. I remember one Psychiatrist told me that there is only one way to increase cognition, proved through clinical trials - by increasing Dopamine. I was too afraid to try it for a long time and missed on a huge opportunity to improve my son earlier. Even Galantamine is better than Piracetam, but this is all individual. To rank all these drugs/supplements for the brain:
#1 Rhodiola
#2 Galantamine
#3 Namenda
#4 MCT oil / Creatine / NADH / Quercetin / Luteolin/ Berberine
#5 CDP Choline
#6 Piracetam (but #1 if child is non-verbal)
#7 Pantogam
#8 Leucovorin Calcium (just makes my son hyperactive)

Brain supplements that made things worse:
- DMG (triggered SIB)
- phosphatidylserine (triggered SIB)

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”