New to ASD....Need advice from experts (Fatherof2 please help us)

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Maggy

Re: New to ASD....Need advice from experts (Fatherof2 please help us)

Postby Maggy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you Fof2 for all your input,when ever I see a reply from you I feel big relief, my son says lot of words but only when he wants to and his understanding is improving now a days he is saying two word sentences now a days (daddy comeback,mommy go back) but all these are occasional only when he is in a good mood,his speech therapist says he has speech but only problem is his eye contact
The other problem we are noticing is he is becoming sensitive to noise and new places(we never had this problem before all these started after mb12)

Thanks
Maggy

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Maggy wrote:Thank you Fof2 for all your input,when ever I see a reply from you I feel big relief, my son says lot of words but only when he wants to and his understanding is improving now a days he is saying two word sentences now a days (daddy comeback,mommy go back) but all these are occasional only when he is in a good mood,his speech therapist says he has speech but only problem is his eye contact
The other problem we are noticing is he is becoming sensitive to noise and new places(we never had this problem before all these started after mb12)

Thanks
Maggy

You may want to consider adding 5mg of Lexapro (needs prescription). My son was ok going to public places like a restaurant, but if a baby cried there, he would start crying too, wanting to leave. It came to the point that he associated bad memories with places where he heard babies cries and didn't want to go there. After we started Lexapro, this anxiety was gone. The memory of "bad" places remained, but at least he stopped noticing babies cries.

SSRI's like Lexapro can improve language too. Dr. Goldberg uses SSRI's in his treatment of autism (read his book "The Myth of Autism"). Not only they make kids less anxious and more social, but they trigger neural growth factors, which leads to growth of new neurons and their connections. I would not advise Lexapro doses above 5mg. Easy does it.

Maggy

Postby Maggy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Hello Fof2 ,

We got our son's FRAT results today,FRAT Binding Assay came out positive.What does it mean?

thanks
maggy

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Maggy wrote:Hello Fof2 ,

We got our son's FRAT results today,FRAT Binding Assay came out positive.What does it mean?

thanks
maggy

We never did this test because Dr. Frye suspended it at the time when we did our first tests, suspended because he was commercializing it. I am glad to see that it is now commercial and called FRAT.
If antibodies to the Folate receptor are present, then there is an indication that Folate is not being properly distributed across the blood brain barrier, or into other important tissues. In these instances, Folate is either being “blocked” or “binded” by these antibodies, ultimately impeding its proper delivery

Your doctor will most likely prescribe Leucovorin Calcium, which is a form of folinic acid, which uses different receptors to deliver folate to the brain. Most likely your son will become hyper on it. You may see improvements or may not. Leucovorin Calcium was the first thing our MAPS doctor prescribed even though we didn't do FRAT. I think it is over-rated, but worth trying just because you have those antibodies.

Maggy

Postby Maggy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 pm

My son is already on Leucovorin calcium but we are not noticing much improvement with that other than some improvements in his understanding,is this some test do I have to really worry about

FRAT blocking Assay- Negative
FRAT binding Assay-positive

I have been trying to find information about online but found nothing

Thanks
Maggy

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”