Dental procedure under anesthesia?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Jillh

Dental procedure under anesthesia?

Postby Jillh » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:15 pm

My son is 9 and has serious anxiety when it comes to doctor visits, especially the dentist. That said his appointments usually consist of me talking with the dr, showing photos I've taken of his teeth and on really good visits the dr can glance in his mouth. We brush and floss daily and while I don't believe he has cavities, I'm not 100% sure. He does have a few dark spots that could be staining or cavities. His dr recommend that we do an out patient procedure where my son is put under and he'll get a cleaning, X-rays and any repairs needed. Has anyone else done this? I asked about an in office sedative, but he said it's not as reliable and he doesn't want him waking up and isn't comfortable heavy dosing bc that sedation isn't as closely monitored. I'm just really nervous and hate to have him put under if it's not totally necessary. But it could be if he has a mouth full of cavities I don't know about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

stang95

Re: Dental procedure under anesthesia?

Postby stang95 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 am

We had to do this last year for my 10 year old son with autism. He had 2 cavities and there was absolutely no way he would sit still and cooperate so we had to put him under. It went perfectly with absolutely no issues except for the $500 bill for the anesthesiologist....

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:51 pm

stang95 wrote:We had to do this last year for my 10 year old son with autism. He had 2 cavities and there was absolutely no way he would sit still and cooperate so we had to put him under. It went perfectly with absolutely no issues except for the $500 bill for the anesthesiologist....

Thanks so sharing your experience! If you don't mind me asking. How did the appointment go? I can't imagine them being able to place an IV line in him without it being super traumatic:( Was your son given anything prior to that being done? Thanks!

stang95

Postby stang95 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 am

It honestly went great much easier than I expected. They gave him a shot in the thigh that made him drowsy and then they were able to do everything else. It was a tiny shot and they did it so quickly that he was surprised for a second and that was it. Got sleepy a couple minutes later and they were able to do everything else to put him under.

Nikkie111

Postby Nikkie111 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Jillh wrote:
stang95 wrote:We had to do this last year for my 10 year old son with autism. He had 2 cavities and there was absolutely no way he would sit still and cooperate so we had to put him under. It went perfectly with absolutely no issues except for the $500 bill for the anesthesiologist....

Thanks so sharing your experience! If you don't mind me asking. How did the appointment go? I can't imagine them being able to place an IV line in him without it being super traumatic:( Was your son given anything prior to that being done? Thanks!

Ask for nebusiler anaesthesia, that's what we had for a different operation
Good luck x

Jillh

Postby Jillh » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Nikkie111 wrote:
Jillh wrote:

Ask for nebusiler anaesthesia, that's what we had for a different operation
Good luck x

Thanks!! I've never heard of that. I'll definitely ask:)

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”