Regressive Autism,any test available to check the nutrients level?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Mrs Khan

Regressive Autism,any test available to check the nutrients level?

Postby Mrs Khan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:32 am

Hi all,
My typically developing son regressed at 2 years of age. He lost his eye contact, lost his speech completely, all acquired skills climbing, feeding, play skills everything. We were trying to figure out and then a diagnosis showed, he had celiac disease. We started gluten free diet and in 2 months time he is babbling again, eye contact lot better, socially better, other skills are coming along. But he is still far behind from his age kids.
I tried to make him Casein free too, but he loves yogurts and milk. He is very picky eater, only eat few things, avoid vegetables and meat altogether. Hence removing casein is very difficult as he wont be able to eat much then.

I read somewhere, there are urine test available which can show if he is lacking in some nutrient or if something is in excess in his body. That way his recovery will be quicker. If anyone have info about that test in UK please let me know, where about , and how much can it cost.

Another thing, how can I heal his gut quickly. He love sugary stuff and it looks impossible to stop sugar completely. Though I have reduced it and replaced it with honey.

He is 2 years and 9 months old. Only taking Abidec multivitamin

Barbibul

Re: Regressive Autism,any test available to check the nutrients level?

Postby Barbibul » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:08 am

Only a blood test may provide useful informations.

A gluten free diet is useful in case of celiac disease, unless there is a true milk allergy which is in fact very rare, the usefulnesse of a caseine free diet has never been proven. Casein is a protein that is more dfficult to digest than the average, autistic kids are lacking zinc and zinc is crucial for the efficiency of many digestive enzyms.

It's not necessary to supplement him with zinc because this zinc deficiency is not due to a lack of zinc in the diet, but to a malabsorption. Sio the best is to supplement him with vitamine D and vitamine K2 that are essential vitamines for the good absorption of zinc. I do not recommand the use of a multivitamin, I prefer boosting only vitamins and minerals that have to be boosted, other vitamins and minerals must be given by a healthy diet.

Anyway milk and milk products are full of essential nutriments and your kid enjoy them. All the milk products are really beneficial for children with autism.

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Regressive autism can be caused by subclinical (not visible to an eye) seizures such as Landau Kleffner syndrome. LKS happens exactly as you described. The first thing you need to do is 24hr EEG test to confirm or rule out abnormal EEG activity. If it is abnormal, a neurologist should prescribe a course of steroids (Prednisone) and anti-seizure meds (Valproic acid is most commonly used in LKS).

Barbibul

Postby Barbibul » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:41 pm

It seems that regressive autism and Landau Kleffener syndrome are quite different.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1783438/

Seizures are in no way a cause of regressive autisme but a consequence of this disease. Autism has obviously a genetic origin.

I wouldn't recommend valproic acid to a child with autism, just because valproic acid is a well known cause of pseudo autism. Valproic may ease some of regressive autism symptoms, but would certainly aggravate many others. Prednisone treatment as well is not convincing.

http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31804

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”