methyl B12 reaction

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

EmilyV

methyl B12 reaction

Postby EmilyV » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Dear all,
My son started M-B12 2.5 wks ago. Also 3.5 wks ago we removed from his SCD diet squash, which turns out was likely a major allergen (now his rash is much better since we stopped it). We are doing preservative-free Lee Silsby's shots.

question #1. toe walking. After starting B12 he is toe walking, was not really doing it before. Also interestingly, when he started SCD diet, he toe walked in the beginning of it, then got better with his core ASD Sx, and toe walking stopped. Do you know what causes toe walking, could it be a sign of detox in this context, or does it mean he is not tolerating MB12?

question #2. Which form of B12 shots are best for him? There is no consensus among the 2 providers we saw which form of B12 to give. These are his results of Yasko's test.
++ MTHFR/A1298C, CBS/C699T, VDR/Taq1, MAOA
+- SHMT/C1420T, AHCY/1, AHCY/2, AHCY/19, MTRR/A66G, MTRR/K350A, BHMT/2, BHMT/4, COMT/V158M, COMT/H62H, VDR/Fok1

According to her table, only 3 out of 9 groups of combination of COMTV158 and VDR/Taq1 can tolerate MB12 better, and he is one of them, but recommendation is "all three forms of B12 with less methyl B12 based on Yasko's test. However one of our practitioners thinks methylB12 is usually better to start with, as we have more research with its effectiveness.

question #3. While his verbal skills probably improved since the start of Mb12 (he restarted using "I" in his sentences, more complex sentences maybe, some new words), his episodes of "being in the zone" when he is hyperfocused on something and not responding much to name, or when he frowns, are not necessarily more frequent, but more intense. What could this be due to? Is the dose too much, or he is not tolerating it, or it's excepted with detox?

Thank you very much.
-----

Emily
mom of 2.9 yo boy with diagnosis of ASD, mild secondary mitochondrial dysfunction, on SCD for 4 months

EmilyV

Re: methyl B12 reaction

Postby EmilyV » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Could anyone please give your advice? When getting MB12 slightly less than standard dose he had progress with speech but worse strabismus, worse eye contact and stimming more, and toe walking. We were told by our MAPS doc that the bad reaction to B12 was likely due to the fact that he needs it in conjunction with folic acid, especially since the lab result just showed high level of binding antifolate antibodies, and he has also a ++ MTHFR/A1298C mutation. Does anyone have any experience with it?
We stopped MB12 for almost a week now and started leucovorin - this is day 3, but toe walking and strabismus still continue. I understand probably these things take a while to resolve, or notice any effect, but I just don't want to make it worse for him!

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:27 pm

Your son has very similar genetic mutations to my son. MB12 shots didnt halp at any dose, skiping 0, 1, or 2 days, with or without folic acids or lithium. Some doctors just cant accept the fact that B12 doesnt help everyone and try to come up with the "soup from an axe" approach. Vitamins feed not only the body but viruses, bacteria and fungi too. Perhaps your child like mine is overmethylator. You need to look into that. Search this site for discussions regarding overmethylation.

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Fatherof2, which mutations does your son have?
Thank you so much for responding. I will look into overmethylation.

EmilyV

Postby EmilyV » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:47 pm

Father, also did you try any other form of B12 like hydroxy or adenosyl?

FatherOf2

Postby FatherOf2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:54 pm

I am using hydroxy chewables but no visible effect.

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”