Do the specific bacteria strains in the probiotic matter?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

MCA

Do the specific bacteria strains in the probiotic matter?

Postby MCA » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:45 pm

For some reason, my son is having an allergic reaction to one of the probiotics I am giving him. I say that because I have only given it to him 3 times, each spread apart by weeks, and each time he gets dark circles under the eyes, red cheeks, skin bumps, and his autism symptoms get more severe.

The only things different about this one probiotic are:

One of the ingredients, silica. Sand, right? That's not in any of the other formulae he gets

One of the bacteria strains... L. Bulgaricus.

How do you choose which bacteria strains are the best? And could either of those 2 ingredients be causing a reaction? My pediatrician blew it off.

I found this description of bulgariucs on the Dr. Atkins website... it sounds great!

Bulgaricus: This probiotic may stimulate the immune system more than acidophilus. In an encouraging study of one hundred cancer patients, the bulgaricus strain known as LB-51 showed very impressive results as an adjunct treatment for a range of cancers. It enabled the patients to live longer, stopped or slowed tumor growth, and halted the cancer's spread through the body."

Elaine

Postby Elaine » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:50 pm

Debbie -

Many multi-strain probiotics are good, like Klaire and Kirkmans. What I like in particular is Lactobacillus rhamnosus, because it quickly becomes colonized in the small intestine, and crowds out bad bacteria like clostridium and also yeast.

Hope this helps -

Elaine
Elaine - Stevie's Mom

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”