question about dark circles under eyes

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Heather

question about dark circles under eyes

Postby Heather » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:58 am

My son always has shiners under his eyes. They have actually gotten worse this past year. I have increased zinc and increased calcium/magnesium- still no change. What else could be causing this? Hidden food allergies? He does not show any physical symptoms of food allergies like rashes, stomach aches, e.t.c.
He did have his peptide readings evaluated and they were normal. If I had him get a food allergy test, could he have a sensitivity to milk or wheat even if the peptide reading were normal?
Even after being casein free, the dark circles are still there. Any thoughts?
Heather

bizymom

Postby bizymom » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:02 am

Dark circles can be a sign of: environmental allergies (seasonal, mold, perfumes, chemicals, etc.), phenols/salicylates sensitivities, yeast . . .

Dana R.

Kenny V

Postby Kenny V » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:11 am

Yes I would consider hidden food allergies, and what you describe IS a physical reaction that you often see as a result in food allergies. Often times you have what they called delayed reactions to foods that are not necessarily immediate responses to offending foods. I would look into foods that are high in sugar, yeast, and phenols and work my way from there.
This may take some time as well as some hard work to isolate.

Best example I can give it’s like reintroducing foods all over again when you first introduce new foods to a baby. I would definitely consider diet modification; rotation diet and elimination from any suspected offending foods. Also digestive enzymes as well as generous amounts of probiotics and anti yeast treatments are all involved in this type of intervention.

I would work with a Dan! Doc who is familiar with this as they may want to get a work up on IgG and IgA reactions to your child’s food sensitivities.

We originally had ours from Immuno Laboratories which was very informative, we didn’t have the shiners but my son was a SUPER allergic Kid to many foods and also wasn’t able to eat to many others without delayed reactions. We had no choice to go GfCF and it has paid off. We also started off with 4 yeast infections; leaky gut and phenol intolerance’s to top it off.
It didn’t take too long to start to clean up his Gut and start to se a marked difference ( about 3- 6 months.)We have maintained a strict GFCF, DF,SF,YF Sf, for many years now . And as his diet improved so has his options for other foods has expanded. Today as we continued to chelate we have found that he was able to handle many foods that he wasn’t able to before. I believe my sons gut is almost there.

To answer your Question yes Gluten can still be a problem, as can many others foods untill their gut is healed.

HTH
Kenny V

Heather

Postby Heather » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:41 am

Thanks Kenny- I guess this whole peptide test is throwing me off because I keep telling myself that he does not need the diet because his readings were normal. He is almost GF/Cf but I went ahead and started enzymes.
I guess I always thought the signs of food allergies were rashes, hives, wheezing, but now I understand it can be behavioral. Ugg... I don't know what to do. My son is a prettty calm child but does have repetitive and obsessive play that I get concerned about. I've got a lot to think about and I need to get an action plan in place.
Heather

dawnrinchicago

Postby dawnrinchicago » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:13 pm

Have you considered an anti-viral like Valtrex? You can get more info at the nasalMB12 and Valtrex yahoogroup.

Dawn

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”