Melatonin: Negatives?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

mama23miracles

Melatonin: Negatives?

Postby mama23miracles » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:13 am

Hello,

I was just wondering if there are any negative side effects to taking Melatonin. I have been giving 3 mg to my 3 year old son for about 6 months...I can't exactly remember when I started giving it to him.

Last night he stayed over at his grandparents. I forgot to send along his pill. My mom said that he woke up multiple times as though he was having nightmares and once he was awake...he was up for good...ready to take on the day (even though it was still night).

I was just wondering if he has become dependent on this med. Are there any known negative side effects from taking this med and then forgetting to or stopping usage?
Thanks!
Jen (mom to Zach - 5 yo with mild/moderate autism and Dylan & Drew - 3 yo twins with PDD-NOS

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:03 am

From what I understand, melatonin is a natural hormone produced by our bodies and some ASD kids have a deficiancy. I've given my son 1.5 mg when he was 3 but I wouldn't go much much over that especially with long term use. I only give it to him now when we go out of town to help him calm down when he has to sleep away from home. He's had terrible panic attacks before and the melatonin helps him relax enough to fall asleep.

Since adding back the LDN cream, he really doesn't need the melatonin. I'm not really sure about the dependency issue. I think the body may become dependent on the abundance of melatonin but not "addicted" if that makes any sense.

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:42 am

Hi Jen. We had this discussion a couple months ago on this board and got some really interesting dosing information on how much and how often and with what side effects people were having.

What I posted was that I personally cannot take melatonin because it gives me vivid, hallucinatory nightmares. When I gave even 1/2 MG to my son, I felt the same was happening to him. His sleep was quite fitful and he did not wake up rested.

Some of the other posters on this board advised me to adjust the dosage instead of cutting out melatonin entirely, but I did not have much better luck doing that.

Do a search for melatonin discussions on this board. Most people do like it for their children and feel it is like a godsend allowing them to get some sleep. I will not take it myself, I have woken up with headaches after awful nightmarish nights even on small doses.

Debbie/Mommy in CA

livsparents

Postby livsparents » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:55 pm

Diane,

Olivia has had sleep issues for a long time now, and they seem to run in cycles. I have been giving her 1.5 melatonin for about 5 months now. In the beginning it helped, but now even with the melatonin she will wake up 3 to 4 times a week between 1:00 am and 3:00 am wide awake. Last night I didn't give it to her, and she slept all night!

She started LDN (only 1 line) on Friday. What dose do you give Luke, and when did you notice an improvement in his sleep? Is improved sleep a side effect of LDN?

Linda

Maryann R

Melatonin

Postby Maryann R » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:08 pm

Hi,
Regarding Melatonin. We have used it sporadically for my son (just turned 5). It has always helped to put him RIGHT to sleep but very often after using it on consecutive days we found him to wake up in the middle of the night every time we gave it. We decided not to use it and let him stay up a little longer at night and prefer that rather than us all having to wake with him in the middle of the night (as just when he was waking at about 1:00 - 2:00 am .. my hubby and i were just getting off to bed ourselves). It also seemed to cause him to be very stimmy on the next day. Would love to learn more about it's use and WHY do these kiddos seem to sometimes have the night awakenings with it?
Maryann

Grandma C

Postby Grandma C » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:17 pm

Dear Moms - I wish I remembered the reasons, but I do remember several years ago (when melatonin was the 'new' rage for helping with sleep in the general population), there was some warning about its safety. I don't want to scare anyone, but I would really check into it...esp. if you are using other supplements. Remember, just because something is "natural" does not mean it is always safe.

Grandma C

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:38 pm

Hi Linda,
I started Luke back on the LDN about 2 weeks ago. I give him 1 line. It has improved his sleep. He was waking up in the middle of the night taking off all his clothes (and pullup!) and crying/screaming until someone came in and got in the bed (this has stopped since the LDN.) He likes to sleep in the Lazy Boy recliner, but he goes back and forth from the chair to the bed.
He still may wake up occaisionally but for the most part, he's sleeping well at night. So the LDN must have some effect on sleep. But don't give too high a dose because that can cause the opposite effect. I started Luke out on the prescribed dose and he was up all night a few times :( Even just a little dab works wonders.
I'd stop the melatonin for Olivia and see how she does with just the LDN.
Take care,

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

jcwikli

What is LDN cream

Postby jcwikli » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:54 pm

Would love to know what it is and what it does

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”