snack ideas -gfcf, soy free and rice free

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

snack ideas -gfcf, soy free and rice free

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:40 am

hello
my son goes to preschool and has a snack break. i am tired of giving him potato chips everyday. c an anybody please give me some snack ideas that i can buy in whole foods or order on the internet? my son is gfcf and has an allergy to soy and rice. i am looking for some crackers, vegetable puffs or sticks. most of them seems to have soy and rice.
i really appreciate all the help.
thanks a lot

dawnrinchicago

Postby dawnrinchicago » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:07 pm

Wow. We're GFCFSF, but no rice would hurt. I give my daughter's preschool teachers a ziploc full of her favorite dried fruit and that lasts for a few weeks.

Maybe some cereal? We get EnviroKids Gorilla Munch and it doesn't have rice in it.

Sorry. That's a tough one.

Dawn

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:04 am

thanks dawn. i will try the cereal.

snacks

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:56 pm

the cereal is great we even eat it! for other things you may need to make your own cookies and breads with acceptable flours try the GFCF forum as there is alot of good recipes and disscussions about substituting in recipes. regular bannana bread recipe converts well with many types of flours. also try the organic or whole food stores as the bakery sections often carry allergy free (meaning usually hemp or spelt or other types of binders in their treats) but i do agree we often just use chips for snack quick and easy and i know he eats them plus for sure GFCF so just my 2 cents good luck...

rose

Postby rose » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:19 pm

hi,
i like Schar's crackers for my son, Brown rice snaps by edward&sons, and something called Skinny sticks which are still made of potato but shaped like thin fries, and they only contain potato flour, sunflower oil, and salt and they come plain or in different varieties, some with some spices and veggies i think.
rose

rose

Postby rose » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:26 pm

yikes!!! sorry about suggesting the rice snaps, but the other two should be fine...

LauraM

Postby LauraM » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:41 pm

If your son can tolerate corn, Whole Foods has organic popcorn which has just canola oil and salt added. Also, my son loves "Tings" which taste a lot like Cheetos but are gf/cf, I believe.

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:13 pm

Terra Stix are available in most supermarkets, they also have sweet potato chips, plaintain chips are also available in most stores, check ingredients for no preservatives and make sure they are not fried in soybean oil, there are yucca chips that I believe are sold by Miss Robens, dried fruits that are nitrite free(sparingly), raisins, Robert's American Gourmet sells a line of chips that is also available in most markets - check with them for the GFCF, no soy, rice, GFCF chocolate chips made by Paskesz - Kirkman sells them and so does Enjoy Life.

dawnrinchicago

Postby dawnrinchicago » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:35 pm

Dear original poster --

In moving toward going rice free, I came across some info that potatoes and tomatoes are really bad for some kids. You might want to try a potato-free trial and see if you see any improvement.

Dawn

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”