Supplements for "NT" children with an ASD sibling

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Supplements for "NT" children with an ASD sibling

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:41 pm

If anyone has a NT child and you are doing supplements for an ASD child...do you give your NT child supplements as well? If so, which ones do you give? I would like to give supplements to my "NT" child but I'm not sure which ones....I don't think Flintstones vitamins are substantial enough... there are probably some more beneficial stuff like Omega 3, etc. What do you think?

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:39 pm

We give our NT son who is 16 months old:

1/2 tsp Spectrum Complete once a day
5 drops of Olive Leaf Extract once a day
1/2 tsp of Coconut Oil every other day
Cod liver oil (1/2 tsp) once a day
Pro-EFA (1/2 tsp) once a day
1 TBSP Aloe Vera liquid

-Crystal
Last edited by sashasmom on Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Supplements for NT sibling

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:13 pm

We used both Freeda Vitalets, chewables, because they are GFCF, and later switched to Kirkman's Children's Everyday Multivitamin wafer for a (mostly!) non-autistic sibling. You can buy them both online. Both worked fine and provided more than a drugstore multivitamin -- and without the artificial colors, dyes and gluten and milk in other, drugstore vitamins.

amymc

re: Kirkman's wafers

Postby amymc » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:29 pm

Hi Guest,
Can you tell me how the Kirkman's wafers taste? Would a somewhat stubborn 4 year old take them?
Thanks,
Amy, mom to 4 year old twins, one hfa, one nt (mostly)

livsparents

Postby livsparents » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:35 am

I'm still trying to find something my NT kids will eat. I had samples of Kirkman's multi, and all 3 said yuk. I'm not sure if it is really that bad, but they don't want to eat them.

Linda

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:45 am

My NT son won't eat any 'tablet' supplements either. (2 1/2 yr.)
I was grounding up Flintstones. I might do the Kirkman powders with him if it's not too potent. I have some Spectrum Complete...Maybe I'll do a half dose like Crystal does. Crystal - did you come up with your supplement regime on your own based on what you feel is necessary or your personal experience or is that something your doctor suggested for your NT child? Thanks.

Re: re: Kirkman's wafers

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:19 pm

amymc wrote:Hi Guest,
Can you tell me how the Kirkman's wafers taste? Would a somewhat stubborn 4 year old take them?
Thanks,
Amy, mom to 4 year old twins, one hfa, one nt (mostly)

They taste like a tropical fruit flavor. Not bad at all. Kirkman's usually lets you order a sample for a few dollars. I like them because they have some of the same ingredients as the vitamins for ASD kids, only not in the super high doses you find in Super Nu Thera and other autism vitamin concoctions.

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:34 pm

In our case it was just cheaper to buy the powder spectrum complete and give it to my NY son as well as my ASD son. Whatever his body doesn't take in he pees it out so the high vitamins aren't all being absorbed.

We tried the Kirkman's wafers and they do taste good but they don't last long and cost a lot more than we can keep buying at this point.

-Crystal

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:29 pm

Please be aware that most kids' vitamins sold OTC contain aspartame. Be careful.

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:45 pm

Yeah we stick to the brands that say GFCF on them and do not contain aspartame. It's so sad that just about everything has something in it.
We really like Kirkman's products though, they are over the counter. We make sure that we purchase our OTC items from our pharmacy b/c they carry stuff that is just about free of everything. They may carry something that my kdis can't have but I haven't come across it yet.

-Crystal

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”