What happend to Secrtin? anyone using it?

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Eden

What happend to Secrtin? anyone using it?

Postby Eden » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:46 am

I remember a huge thing going on about if few years back, i wonder if anyone is still using it, or have used it before with a positive result?

Thanks

Eden

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:06 pm

Hi Eden,
We've done about 7 secretin infusions with really great results. IT was the very first biomedical (besides GFCF) treatment that we did. Gavin was having completely undigested stools. He had a distended tummy and puffy face that he looked chunky instead of sick. Everyone would comment what a healthy boy he was, as I was changing chewed up green beans and meat in his diaper. His skin was translucent. You could see the veins so clearly, especially on his face. His appetite was not great either. After one week of secretin, he had his first normal stool. The distended tummy went way down and got much softer. His appetite went up along with his ability to eat foods without gagging. We didn't notice any obvious improvements in his behaviors or autistic symptoms but I do think it allowed him to really start to heal.

I have heard that secretin infusions don't work as well if there is a bad overgrowth of yeast. I don't know if that is true. But something to keep in mind if you are going to get it done. I just mentioned that because Gavin responded really well to all of his secretin infusions, except this last one. We noticed no changes. I don't know if it's because he no longer needs them or if it's cause he did have a yeast issue at the time. I am not sure. I don't know if there is any connection whatsoever, but that is what I heard from another parent.

If I were to start all over again, I'd definitely do the secretin as we did. Gavin definitely benefited from it physically. I hope this helps.
Tami

Eden

Postby Eden » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:04 pm

Thank you Tami,

do you think you will do it again?

I would love to do it to my son. I talked to the DAN! dr once and he said they do it at the office and i told him i will think about it.

It's so amazing how yeast can affect everything.

Thanks

Eden

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:41 pm

I would do it again if I thought he needed it. But he's been doing good with his tummy lately. He's lost his distended tummy again and has been having decent stools. If this changed, I would consider doing it again....definitely. I think it's a safe enough treatment to try to see if it helps. Gavin's never had a negative response to any secretin infusion. The first ones we did were the really expensive pork secretin. Then after that he had the synthetic human secretin. He benefitted from both forms. The only reaction he did have (doc office said was common) is a redness around his neck about 5 minutes after the synthetic secretin. It went away after about 20 minutes. Goodluck deciding!
Tami

Eden

Postby Eden » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:31 pm

Thanks Tami, i appreciate it.

Eden

gdv2500

Postby gdv2500 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:28 pm

Isn't there a transdermal Secretin? I think someone in my wife's support group is using that with their child, but I don't know how it's working. I may just be remembering wrong, too.
Gary - Cameron's Dad

TamiW

Postby TamiW » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:46 pm

Eden,
Anytime!

Gary,
I am pretty sure you're right. I think there may be a nasal secretin also and I know there is a homeopathic secretin. I don't know how well any of those work. For us the IV secretin infusions took about 2-3 minutes and lasted 3-4 months. I think we paid $200 or $225 for our last infusion. I knew another mom who was giving either the transdermal or nasal, I can't remember....but I think she paid $99 per month. My memory may be wrong. IT's been a long time but that's what I think she said.
Tami

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”