Vitamin C

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

donnaiarrapino

Vitamin C

Postby donnaiarrapino » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:38 pm

Hi does anyone have any suggestions for vitamin C? I have been looking into NSI Liquid Vitamin C and Twinlab Allergy C. Anyone have any success with these. Any input would be helpful! Thanks.

Donna

dawnrinchicago

Postby dawnrinchicago » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:28 pm

Our DAN recommended the Twinlab buffered corn free C, 250 mg twice a day for my 2.4 year old. The capsules she gave me are 750 mg capsules, so I give her 1/3 of a cap at breakfast and 1/3 of a cap at dinner.
Dawn

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:13 pm

Dawn,

I'm sorry, I know this is off of the topic but I noticed that you are from Illinois and I was just wondering if you could tell me who your Dan Doctor is. Is he here in Illinois? After we get our testing done from the Great Plains labs, I'm thinking this may be the next step. If you don't mind telling me, because I was wondering if there is a good one close by.

Thanks,
Concerned Mom

dawnrinchicago

Illinois DANs

Postby dawnrinchicago » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:17 pm

We see Anju Usman in Naperville, but I think her practice might be closed to new patients.

We've also seen Dr. Hicks (www.pathwaysmed.com) and he is just over the border in Wisc.

Dawn

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:27 pm

Dawn,

What was your opinion of this Dr. Hicks? Where did you go to find these doctors? Is there a certain website that names Dan Doctors? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just trying to figure out where to start.

Thanks,
Concerned Mom

Susan'sHope

Postby Susan'sHope » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:18 pm

You can get the list of Dan! doctors off of the Generation Rescue website. Plus it has so much information. I spent weeks reading every thing on there!
http://www.generationrescue.org/index2.html

I hope this helps! :D
Knowledge Without Experience Is Just Information ~ Mark Twain

dawnrinchicago

Postby dawnrinchicago » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:33 pm

My opinion of Hicks:

Expensive. He runs more tests than others. But the tests are REALLY helpful in treatment. He was very worried about telling us one test would be $500, but all the blood tests he ordered ended being 12 tubes (on an 18month old) and over $6000. He didn't mention the $6 grand. Luckily, insurance covered almost everything, but did so "out of network" so we had to pay 30% for the visits (but nothing for the $6grand blood draw!)/

Brusque. He is very blunt and direct and gave me the impression that he was saying "Take my advice, or don't, but you're lucky to get it." A little God-like. I tend to like my doctors more new school (partners in recovery) than old school (this is what you will do).

Homeopathic. He uses more homeopathy than other docs. My first reaction was that it was for crystal-waving, seance people. I've since learned better. It is very gentle and very effective.

Lack of support from his office. We were only two months into our research when we went to see him. The first supplement he gave us was homeopathic drainage and my daughter had a very severe, medical-textbook-like rash in response. My husband and I were scared and didn't get the support we needed from his office. In retrospect, I get it. These docs are incredibly busy and I don't get much more support from Dr. Usman's office. But now I really understand that to get ahead, you sometimes need to give a supplement that causes temporary regression. It's as if you are stirring up the bad stuff, which affects the child more for a short time, but then you are left with less bad stuff and noticeable gains.

In retrospect, he was very knowledgable and his treatment plan was a good one, although maybe a little accelerated, but hey, recovery is better done sooner than later.

Although Dr. Usman is more personable, I think Dr. Hicks is a great choice. Just remember, always research everything before trying it. Never rely on one person (the doctor). The parents on these boards know a lot.

Dawn

If you have questions --
drochlen
AT
ameritech.net

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:37 am

Dawn,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm always interested to see how other parents feel about certain Doctors. I would love to be able to take my little guy to Dr. N that everyone is talking about on the board but I think that would be a little too long of a travel. Thanks again!!

Susan,

Thanks Susan for the website!!!! I will definately be checking it out. This is also very helpful.

Thanks again,

Concerned Mom

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”