Question about fatty acid levels

Discuss autism diets and biomedical treatments of autism.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Rachel-Car

Question about fatty acid levels

Postby Rachel-Car » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:44 pm

My son Colby had a fatty acid test done and his EPA is extremely low, Omega6/3 danger level, AA/EPA EXTREMELY HIGH and his threshold AA/EPA/EPA should be .1-.5 and the danger zone is >10 AND COLBY'S IS 113.64 SOUNDS SCARY!

Can somebody help me make sense out of this?

I understand that he needs Omegas and the doc that ran the tests suggested Pro-Omega Liquid as well as PRO EPA, and I started giving it to him BUT I have also read that fish oils can be hooey based on the fact that the Omegas break apart so easily that they aren't even getting absorbed. Flaxseed is much better. Has anyone else heard this?''

How dangerous are his levels and how does it relate to PDD?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:14 am

"Fatty Acids are important in maintaining cell membranes as well as in cell to cell transport. Unfortunately we tend to only hear about supplementing Omega 3's ...and not enough about the Omega 6's. An alarming imbalance of too much Omega 3's and not enough Omega 6's is seen.. So I would like to remind all parents that a BALANCE is very important for optimal functioning in your child! Another point I would like to make that often the whole family is deficient in the essential fatty acids."
(message from DAN conference)

If they are too low, supplement with a good essential fatty acid blend from a reputable source. If they are too high isn't that what the enzymes are for? ladies?...a good enzyme with every meal will help break down the fats.
BTW I learned about EFAs before the test and my boys came back with the word "Good!" written at the top. Not all was rosy however ....they knew my secret ....the Total C: 18 Trans was very high....written across that one....."Bad trans fats: diet(underlined, double exclamation marks)"
....the secret....still give junk food....ok I'm sorry.
S

Rachel-Car

Postby Rachel-Car » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:26 pm

Thanks for your response... but I'm so dense I just don't get it. Colby's EPA was dangerously low. His DHA and total Omega 3's were in the caution level, a little low.
If this is the case... why are his total Omega 6/3 dangerously HIGH and his AA/EPA SKY HIGH, and threshold AA/EPA/EPA off the charts HIGH?

Is it too high, too low???? I don't understand. Does he need more enzymes or more fish oil/FLAX ? Or less?

The first 3 tests (EPA, DHA and Total Om3 list a healthy rate as a high number and they go down from there on the healthy/caution/danger chart.
Then the next tests for Total Om6/3, AA/EPA and threshold start with low numbers that get higher as they list healty/caution/danger and of course, his numbers are off the chart danger level.

so confused. Can somebodoy help me make sense of this?

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:22 pm

AA/EPA Ratio - the test measured the ratio of arachidonic acid(AA) to eicosapentaenoic acid(EPA). It's to see the balance of the main Omega 3s and Omega 6s. Balancing the eicosanoids in the body is the way to control things like heart disease and other chronic and inflammatory processes. A lower AA/EPA ratio says there is a better balance of the "good" and "bad" eicosanoids in his body. Since his is high this says the balance is not good, have you been giving him one kind of omega? it's very important that they have a balance, give him a EFA with 3, 6 and 9 in it. Also important is to watch the diet or the Trans will sky rocket - my boy's was almost off the chart - and I thought I was being careful.
One clue to see if he's getting "good" EFAs - soft shiny hair! Is your child's hair shiny or is it dry and straw-like?
S

Rachel-Car

Postby Rachel-Car » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:20 pm

I haven't been giving him ANY Omegas until I got the test results back. His hair is a little dry, but then again he comes from a family with course dry hair. I THOUGHT I was careful with his diet too. I'm actually suprised because he loves salmon and nuts and generally eats a good diet. As a matter of fact, I started a WF,GF, SF diet before the blood test. Hhhmmm. Anyway, I have him on pro-omega liquid and pro-EPA which I believe are omega 3's. What about the 6's and 9's? Do I need to give him those or were his levels too high in that area? I'm still a little confused. How to I get him balanced?
Thanks for helping me clear this up!
Is there an EFA that you suggest?

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:42 am

"Often the whole family is deficient in essential fatty acids"
(the quote from the DAN doc)
I believe this to be true, although I had nice shiny hair when I was young as I got older - now 40ish, I got the old lady "dried up frizzy hair". Started my boy on the EFAs and gave it to myself too. My hair and my boys is smooth and shiny, also my skin is softer. Try it on yourself, works wonders and nice boost to the ego when people compliment on how beautiful your hair looks.
I get the Omega Essentials 3*6*9 - 180 caps on sale(or the other brand they carry, which ever is on sale at the time) from GNC. There may be better brands but with all the sups I give him we have to save somewhere!! :D
To get definite answers it would probably be a good idea to contact the lab/doc.
S

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:48 am

Hi Rachel-
I'm going to give this a shot, since I know that Omega 3 supplementation has helped Jack tremendously. I'm basing loosely this information on what I've read by Dr. Andrew Weil in his book "Eating Well for Optimum Health."-check out his website for more information.

Omega 3's compete with Omega 6's for prostaglandins, which "govern all cell growth and differentiation, blood clotting, and key aspects of immune function."

Omega 6 fatty acid is plentiful in our diets, including nuts, seeds and all polyunsaturated veg. oils on the market, and accumulates in the fat of some animals. Other sources include:
Corn oil
Cottonseed oil
grapeseed oil
meat
peanut oil
poultry
safflower oil
sesame oil
soybean oil
sunflower oil

The higher level of Omega 6's to omega 3's decreases the efficiency of omega 3's because they are competing for prostglandins. Since you know that his omega 6's are high, I would think you would want to even out the levels by supplementing the 3's initially. I'm sure your dr. took this into account when recommending a particular supplement. I believe you feed Colby wild salmon and free range meats-but farm raised animals, including salmon, are low in omega 3's.
Very confusing...check http://www.drweil.com . Maybe it will help :wink:

Kristin

Rachel-Car

Postby Rachel-Car » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:55 pm

Kristin, thanks so much for clearing that up! You are awesome. I LOVE DR. WEIL too. I'm overwhelmed from that holistic theif, oops, I mean doctor, that I told you about. I'll stick with the 3's for now and after a blood restest, then I'll switch to the whole EFA's.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INSIGHT!

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:14 am

Anonymous wrote:"Often the whole family is deficient in essential fatty acids"
(the quote from the DAN doc)
I believe this to be true, although I had nice shiny <b style="color:black;background-color:#99ff99">hair</b> when I was young as I got older - now 40ish, I got the old lady "dried up <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">frizzy</b> <b style="color:black;background-color:#99ff99">hair".</b> Started my boy on the EFAs and gave it to myself too. My <b style="color:black;background-color:#99ff99">hair</b> and my boys is smooth and shiny, also my skin is softer. Try it on yourself, works wonders and nice boost to the ego when people compliment on how beautiful your <b style="color:black;background-color:#99ff99">hair</b> looks.
I get the Omega Essentials 3*6*9 - 180 caps on sale(or the other brand they carry, which ever is on sale at the time) from GNC. There may be better brands but with all the sups I give him we have to save somewhere!! :D
To get definite answers it would probably be a good idea to contact the lab/doc.
S

Return to “Diet and Biomedical Treatments for Autism”