Acetaminophen as cause of ASD, ADHD and Asthma

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
kulkulkan

Acetaminophen as cause of ASD, ADHD and Asthma

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:53 pm

This has been put forth as hypothesis by Dr. Shaw before. Now formally written as a paper with more details.

http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/ho ... en-use.pdf

Evidence that Increased Acetaminophen use in Genetically Vulnerable Children Appears to be a Major Cause of the Epidemics of Autism, Attention Deficit with Hyperactivity, and Asthma

By William Shaw, Ph.D.

Abstract

It appears that the marked increase in the rate of autism, asthma, and attention deficit with hyperactivity throughout much of the world may be largely caused by the marked increase in the use of acetaminophen in genetically and/or metabolically susceptible children, and the use of acetaminophen by pregnant women. Toxicity of acetaminophen may cause autism by overloading the defective sulfation pathway catalyzed by phenolsulfotransferase, which is deficient in autism, leading to overproduction of the toxic metabolite N-acetylp- benzoquinone imine (NAPQI). Increased levels of NAPQI reduce the ability to detoxify a host of toxic chemicals in the environment, increasing oxidative stress, which leads to protein, lipid, and nucleic acid damage from free radicals. Epidemiological evidence also supports the association of increased acetaminophen usage with autism, asthma, and attention deficit with hyperactivity. The marked increases in the incidences of autism, asthma, and attention deficit disorder in the United States coincide with the replacement of aspirin by acetaminophen in the 1980s. The characteristic loss of Purkinje cells in the brains of people with autism is consistent with depletion of brain glutathione due to excess acetaminophen usage, which leads to premature brain Purkinje cell death. The anomalous hair mercury concentrations of children with autism are consistent with exposure of growing hair proteins to NAPQI derived from acetaminophen, which competitively inhibits the reaction of mercury with hair sulfhydryl groups. Finally, large-scale faulty production of acetaminophen products, such that the labeled values were exceeded by the true concentrations, in addition to contamination with bacteria and tribromoanisole, may have greatly increased the chances of children receiving overdosages of acetaminophen and potential toxins for perhaps as long as a decade.

Keywords: Acetaminophen; Asthma; Attention deficit with hyperactivity; Autism; Glutathione; N-acetyl-p-benzoquinone imine (NAPQI); Phenolsulfotransferase; Tribromoanisole

Josie

Re: Acetaminophen as cause of ASD, ADHD and Asthma

Postby Josie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Thank you for this information. I have always thought that acetaminophen might be the cause for the rise in autism. I would like to see this information reported in the news. Parents should be warned about this. With my own children my youngest child would not take the Tylenol drops. She hated the taste and spit it up, she did this with antibiotics also. I am now happy that she would not take these medications as I believe they can do more harm than good sometimes.

autismepi

Postby autismepi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:48 am

There is new strong evidence of a link between prenatal use of acetaminophen and autism. A very well done, prospective cohort study found that prolonged prenatal use of acetaminophen was linked to severe adverse developmental outcomes in 3 year olds. These outcomes are all typical autism phenotypes. The researchers also looked at ibuprofen and did not find any of these adverse effects.
This study did not look at acetaminophen use by the infants.
Caution and more research is warranted.

http://sciencenordic.com/prenatal-use-p ... 9-problems
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24163279

Josie

Postby Josie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:19 pm

Acetaminophen (paracetamol) use, measles-mumps-rubella vaccination, and autistic disorder: the results of a parent survey.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18445737

I believe it is time to stop using acetaminophen, and it is time for doctors to stop recommending the use of Tylenol for children.

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:00 pm

I agree. That's all our pediaquack said to give but they don't care who they hurt. They have no liability.

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

mbzoltan

Postby mbzoltan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:49 am

This would explain a lot, as I had constant migraines for much of my second trimester and was advised to take acetaminophen with a cup of coffee and lay down in a dark room.

I likely took it 2-3 times a day for at least 5-8 weeks.

Jesus.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Now the FDA is putting warning on the higher doses of Acetaminophen. This is one drug that should not be given to kids or pregnant women given safer alternatives.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/01/1 ... aminophen/

FDA issues warning on drugs containing acetaminophen
Published January 15, 2014 FoxNews.com
Tylenol
REUTERS/MARK BLINCH

The Food and Drug Administration is recommending that health professionals stop prescribing combination drugs that contain more than 325 milligrams of acetaminophen per tablet, capsule, or other dosage unit, citing the risk of possible liver damage.

The agency said in a statement Tuesday that limiting the amount of acetaminophen per dosage unit will reduce the risk of severe liver damage from an inadvertent acetaminophen overdose, which can lead to liver failure, liver transplant, and death...

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 pm

New Danish study confirming finding of the Norwegian study - Tylenol use during pregnancy increased ADHD in child. Higher the use; higher the risk.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... d/5782763/

My wife spoke to a family friend who is an OB and he still maintains Tylenol is the safest drug for pregnant women despite the four studies referenced in this thread. He is looking for causal evidence - I would think this should be easy to reproduce in susceptible mouse model.

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Oh no, it must just be a coincidence (or better diagnosis, lol). Those kids were going to have autism and ADHD anyway, it couldn't be the Tylenol mixed with the toxic poison in all those vaccines.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:54 am

dgdavis64 wrote:Oh no, it must just be a coincidence (or better diagnosis, lol). Those kids were going to have autism and ADHD anyway, it couldn't be the Tylenol mixed with the toxic poison in all those vaccines.

umm, the paper is not about autism being caused by Tylenol being "mixed with the toxic poison in all those vaccines."

Since, as usual, you didn't read anything before blasting off, here is a simple summary/opinion for you:

The Cuban vaccination rate is 99 percent, and by age 6 each child has received 34 shots. By comparison vaccination rates in the United States for most shots are in the 85 percent range. The major difference is that in Cuba acetaminophen is available only by prescription, and is never given with vaccinations. Indeed the attitude of the Cuban medical establishment is that fever is a normal and beneficial side effect of vaccinations. It is seen as proof that the body's immune system is responding appropriately to the challenge of the vaccination. Their rule is not to give medication unless the fever is above 104F or lasts longer than two days.

The stark differences in rates of autism between the two nations led Shaw to conclude that it was not the vaccinations, but rather the acetaminophen that was the culprit for the sharp rise in autism in nations that routinely use products like Tylenol for children.

Much as I think this paper was off-track out of the gate using an unknown but estimated prevalence in Cuba, if you support the paper, dg, then you have been wailing about and suing over the wrong thing for a decade.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Here is another correlation study in nine countries published last year on circumcision rate, Tylenol, and ASD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673819/

There are already rat studies showing neurotoxicity of Tylenol.

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:36 pm

And ummm you have been wailing about me even though you know I couldn't care less about your opinion for just as long.

The stark differences in rates of autism between the two nations

Now, finally, at least we have acknowledgement of "stark differences in rates" instead of the usual ridiculous "better diagnosis" BS.

But don't come rushing here to comment I was right. Just leave me alone, I don't need your nasty bullying.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:11 am

dgdavis64 wrote:And ummm you have been wailing about me even though you know I couldn't care less about your opinion for just as long.

The stark differences in rates of autism between the two nations

You need to read the entire sentence so that you will have some idea of the point of the paper:

The stark differences in rates of autism between the two nations led Shaw to conclude that it was not the vaccinations, but rather the acetaminophen that was the culprit for the sharp rise in autism in nations that routinely use products like Tylenol for children.

Like I said, the paper is not about autism being caused by Tylenol being "mixed with the toxic poison in all those vaccines." I guess you still haven't read either the paper or the simple summary (both linked).

dgdavis64 wrote:Now, finally, at least we have acknowledgement of "stark differences in rates" instead of the usual ridiculous "better diagnosis" BS.

dg, that doesn't even make sense. Everyone knows different countries report different rates -- some are considered valid, some are estimated, and some are just guessed due to poor (or no) methods to collect data.

But if you insist on taking this hypothesis paper at face value or as "finally, acknowledgment" of different autism rates in different countries -- it blows Generation Rescue propaganda -- that you believe -- in this case, about nations with the highest number of vaccines having the highest rates of autism -- to bits. Kaboom:

Unlike the United States, where vaccines are optional in many states, vaccines are compulsory in Cuba and Cuba has one of the most highly vaccinated populations in the world against a wide variety of infectious agents.8

dgdavis64 wrote:But don't come rushing here to comment I was right.

lol, no problem. :)
Winnie

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:31 am

kulkulkan wrote:Here is another correlation study in nine countries published last year on circumcision rate, Tylenol, and ASD.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673819/

An interesting hypothesis -- I thought about the Kim study (prevalence in South Korea) which found a high prevalence, and then looked up some info on circumcision there. It seems that in general those males who are circumcised undergo this procedure when they are older (not as babies) in South Korea.

The study uses and mentions the Kim study prevalence, but I wasn't clear on what the study authors did to "narrow" the criteria used in the Kim study.
Winnie

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:37 am

No seven year old screen shots of my Tylenol discussions? :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6925&p=48218&hilit=tylenol#p48218

Kaboom, lol

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:51 pm

dgdavis64 wrote:No seven year old screen shots of my Tylenol discussions? :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6925&p=48218&hilit=tylenol#p48218

Kaboom, lol

No, you claimed your twins were "mercury poisoned by toxic vaccines," and filed (unsuccessful) personal injury lawsuits claiming so, along with treating the bogus "mercury poisoning" with just about anything you tripped across on the internet.

And among your other fabricated claims and BS over the years, you boasted that you recovered your daughter from "Asperger's" (which she was never diagnosed with anyway), when she was in kindergarten, by chelating mercury resulting from those "toxic poison vaccines."

If you insist on accepting this paper being validation of something -- it is validation that you have been wailing about, treating, and suing over the wrong thing for a decade. That you were wrong, and worse, a fool to subject your children to whatever quackadoodle junk you found on the internet.

One of your claims since that time (about a year and a half ago) is that your children were diagnosed with Complex I Mitochondrial disease. I doubt that this is true either considering your history with the truth -- but I'm wondering -- how do you integrate that retrospectively into your "recovery" and treatment yarns?
Winnie

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:50 pm

Aw, someone is looking for a spat... good luck! :wink:

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:52 pm

dgdavis64 wrote:Aw, someone is looking for a spat... good luck! :wink:

Apparently so -- you crash the thread with ignorant comments about "pediaquacks" who don't care and Tylenol "mixed with the toxic poison in all those vaccines."

Neither of which pertain to the topic of this thread -- the paper, which you obviously didn't read.

You certainly weren't looking for discussion of the paper. And you didn't have much luck with your backpedal, either.
Winnie

mimicry

Postby mimicry » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:13 pm

To be perfectly fair, tylenol use in the Cuba study isn't the only variable factor. Cuba is also closer to the equator that is a correlation in reduced autism rates. Cuba isn't as industrialized, another correlation. Cuba doesn't have the interstate highways...another correlation, the list likely continues.

Tylenol is not a drug to be taken lightly, and I am no where near saying it has zero effect on autism. But this isn't a well designed and controlled study to start accepting it as fact. Just good to once again state that correlation and causation are not the same thing.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Dr. Shaw's study is a hypothesis piece, which is similar to Shultz who originally proposed this link back in 2003, I believe and again in 2010. There are others who have published this as a hypothesis as well. The Cuba reference is at best anecdotal, not a correlation study.

The two large correlation studies that are reasonably well designed that do show statistically significant link are the ones from Denmark and Norway, the former showing higher Tylenol use in pregnancy, higher the risk and later being sibling controlled which did not show similar risk from ibuprofen use. It is a correlation and if you believe the number of hypothesis on the link, with biological plausibility.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”