The Kids Who Beat Autism

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
BTDT

The Kids Who Beat Autism

Postby BTDT » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:20 am

The Kids Who Beat Autism
By RUTH PADAWER
JULY 31, 2014

At first, everything about L.'s baby boy seemed normal. He met every developmental milestone and delighted in every discovery. But at around 12 months, B. seemed to regress, and by age 2, he had fully retreated into his own world. He no longer made eye contact, no longer seemed to hear, no longer seemed to understand the random words he sometimes spoke. His easygoing manner gave way to tantrums and head-banging. “He had been this happy, happy little guy,” L. said. “All of a sudden, he was just fading away, falling apart. I can’t even describe my sadness. It was unbearable.” More than anything in the world, L. wanted her warm and exuberant boy back.

A few months later, B. received a diagnosis of autism. His parents were devastated. Soon after, L. attended a conference in Newport, R.I., filled with autism clinicians, researchers and a few desperate parents. At lunch, L. (who asked me to use initials to protect her son’s privacy) sat across from a woman named Jackie, who recounted the disappearance of her own boy. She said the speech therapist had waved it off, blaming ear infections and predicting that Jackie’s son, Matthew, would be fine. She was wrong. Within months, Matthew acknowledged no one, not even his parents. The last word he had was “Mama,” and by the time Jackie met L., even that was gone.

In the months and years that followed, the two women spent hours on the phone and at each other’s homes on the East Coast, sharing their fears and frustrations and swapping treatment ideas, comforted to be going through each step with someone who experienced the same terror and confusion. When I met with them in February, they told me about all the treatments they had tried in the 1990s: sensory integration, megadose vitamins, therapeutic horseback riding, a vile-tasting powder from a psychologist who claimed that supplements treated autism. None of it helped either boy.

Article continues at link

donnaiarra

Re: The Kids Who Beat Autism

Postby donnaiarra » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:07 pm

After 10 years of therapies, diet, biomed and supplements I can say my son will probably be recovered in another few years. He has gone from non-verbal to conversational, from severe to indistinguishable...not over night This is for warriors and those who can fight a war of attrition. those who can persevere without months or years of change or progress. Its a healing process. just because diet doesn't work over night doesn't mean it wont kick in. I never gave up.

Supplements are key. We use incredible supplements. Blessings.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:23 pm

donnaiarra wrote:After 10 years of therapies, diet, biomed and supplements I can say my son will probably be recovered in another few years. He has gone from non-verbal to conversational, from severe to indistinguishable...not over night This is for warriors and those who can fight a war of attrition. those who can persevere without months or years of change or progress. Its a healing process. just because diet doesn't work over night doesn't mean it wont kick in. I never gave up.

Supplements are key. We use incredible supplements. Blessings.

Great to hear when a child is doing so well!

Though with all due respect to your son's progress, you said the same thing 8 years ago under your previous username:

donnaiarrapino wrote:July, 2006:
Now, doing the paperwork makes me realize how almost "recovered" he REALLY IS! He looks normal. We go to the movies, stores, parties and the amusement park and no one knows he even has a diagnosis....
http://www.autismweb.org/forum/viewtopi ... 9d9#p47653

So he has been "almost recovered" for over 8 years now (and is still "almost recovered")? I just think an accurate picture/history is important when recovery claims are made and associated with treatment advice.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Notwithstanding whether recovered or not (and even Donnaiarra acknowledges not yet), the progress is very impressive considering starting from non-verbal / severe. Also, I believe there is quite a bit of difference from "almost recovered" or being indistinguishable from peers at 4 years old and claiming the same at 12 years old. Lots of developmental and cognitive changes during this time and glad to hear was able to keep up with the trajectory.

Many would consider our 4 year old son to be indistinguishable from peers even right now (most won't be able to tell but I can), but whether that will be true when he is 12 years old is what concerns me. So, I do appreciate the progress updates from parents with claim of "recovered" or in this case, "almost recovered" kids.

HDLMatchette

Postby HDLMatchette » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:23 am

This story is so wrong. You can't "beat" autism nor is there any real reason to

HALT1980

Postby HALT1980 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:24 pm

kulkulkan wrote:Notwithstanding whether recovered or not (and even Donnaiarra acknowledges not yet), the progress is very impressive considering starting from non-verbal / severe. Also, I believe there is quite a bit of difference from "almost recovered" or being indistinguishable from peers at 4 years old and claiming the same at 12 years old. Lots of developmental and cognitive changes during this time and glad to hear was able to keep up with the trajectory.

Many would consider our 4 year old son to be indistinguishable from peers even right now (most won't be able to tell but I can), but whether that will be true when he is 12 years old is what concerns me. So, I do appreciate the progress updates from parents with claim of "recovered" or in this case, "almost recovered" kids.

True. But online busy-bodies such as "Winnie" cannot help from dragging anyone through the mud that he/she disagrees with.
the old "mommyjen"
~Mommy to 6 wonderful kids~

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:41 pm

HALT1980 wrote:True. But online busy-bodies such as "Winnie" cannot help from dragging anyone through the mud that he/she disagrees with.

mommyjen, the next time you start whacking folks with your Bible, please give yourself a few good licks. You are all on board if I happen to be questioning the story of someone you disagree with or do not like, but righteously indignant otherwise. You have accused others of being "liars" here, including a long-time member (you even PM'd me about) who you feel lied about their child's "recovery:"

HALT1980 wrote:Who I am is the wife of an army man, four kids, and working to help my kids on their walk with Christ. That is who I am. My story has never changed. I don't think yours has as far as I know either. But not only has this R. Cochran story changed (as well as many other details about herself), I know of at least one other prominant person on this board who has either blatantly lied or just has completely forgotten their child's progress (amazingly enough, also related to AC chelation). But all those things are easily searched for.

If you want, you can put Winnie on my trail to see if I have lied in the past. Forgetting a few details, can be understandable. Lying about who you are or changing your story on your child before and after chelation- not understandable one iota. I am just tired of the liars. Really really tired of the liars. Some people need their followers and need to feel like leaders though I guess.

viewtopic.php?p=189321#p189321

And you have asked the same kind of question I raised in this thread:

HALT1980 wrote:The only part I ever questioned was you saying chelation brought your child from severe autism to almost recovered. Because before chelation, you said your son was almost recovered or also in managed recovery.
viewtopic.php?p=189695#p189695

You even left this forum because you felt attacked by parents who claimed to have a "recovered" child:

viewtopic.php?p=173755#p173755

So decide how you feel about the truth. Or just be content to be a hypocrite.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”