CDC Autism Whistleblower Admits Vaccine Study Fraud

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
dgdavis64

CDC Autism Whistleblower Admits Vaccine Study Fraud

Postby dgdavis64 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Finally some truth... :D

William W. Thompson, PhD, Senior Scientist with the CDC has stepped forward and admitted the 2004 paper entitled "Age at first measles-mumps-rubella vaccination in children with autism and school-matched control subjects: a population-based study in metropolitan Atlanta," which has been used repeatedly by the CDC to deny the MMR-autism connection, was a fraud.

continues here:

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1164046

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

dgdavis64

Re: CDC Autism Whistleblower Admits Vaccine Study Fraud

Postby dgdavis64 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:31 am

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:23 pm

livsparents

Postby livsparents » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:56 pm

Bill
Aly 19;Dillan 16;Jason 14
Liv 11 ASD
Grace 9 PDD

and Linda

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:21 pm

The key statement is the opening paragraph by Mr Thompson which mainstream is deliberately not reporting (as that provides some support to the Hooker study as CDC data also suggested that initially) and they have turned the spin to focus on "safety" of MMR rather than the real story. Well spun.

My name is William Thompson. I am a Senior Scientist with the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention, where I have worked since 1998.

I regret that my coauthors and I omitted statistically significant information in our 2004 article published in the journal Pediatrics. The omitted data suggested that African American males who received the MMR vaccine before age 36 months were at increased risk for autism. Decisions were made regarding which findings to report after the data were collected, and I believe that the final study protocol was not followed.

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:48 am

The spin never seems to stop... lets protect and defend the CDC liars:

http://www.autisminvestigated.com/biome ... an-hooker/

There is nothing “unlawful” about “possible undeclared competing interests,” and the excuse for removing Dr. Hooker’s study makes no mention of “threatened legal claims.” BioMed Central breached its own “Permanency of articles” policy by deleting his study, amounting to scientific censorship and casting serious doubt on the objectivity of the publisher’s ongoing investigation of the paper. Moreover, the statement from the CDC whistleblower who coauthored the original study Dr. Hooker reanalyzed the data from lends credence to the validity of his conclusions.

Expanding on these concerns, so I wrote the following in email to BioMed Central with the subject title, “Pulling Dr. Hooker’s paper violates your policies”:

continues at the link

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:34 pm

Yep. Little wonder that the mainstream media didn't jump on this considering the depth of the scummy characters Hooker is involved with along with their past fraud and previous sensational stunts. Little wonder the journal site put it on hold considering the characters and depth of conflict of interest involved.

How anyone could depict what little mainstream media interest there is on this story as "spin" or "cover-up" -- with a straight face -- after Wakefield's silly video -- is beyond me.

I'm interested in Thompson's story and motivation though. If he actually had any proof of fraud or misconduct, he could have legitimately declared whistleblower status a long time ago (as a federal employee) for protection instead of involving himself with clowns who betrayed him (and continue to betray each other) for a place in the spotlight.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:28 pm

That was very poorly spun whereas the cnn piece is more well spun. It is a compliment.

If Hooker or Hooker study didn't exist (which it doesn't now that it has been taken down), the story is still the first paragraph (which isn't quoted in any mainstream media), not fifth or sixth paragraph which is spun to imply vaccines are safe.

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Who knows why Thompson decided to come clean right now? Only he knows. Who cares? Only people with agendas who want to defend the deceitful Thorsen "research." The others involved in that fraud junk science are clearly more questionable than Wakefield ever was. Dr Krigsman did replicate the 1998 Lancet paper findings.

(Audio) CDC Addresses Allegations on Vaccine-Autism Link Omission

http://sharylattkisson.com/audio-cdc-ad ... ission-576

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:10 pm

dgdavis64 wrote:Who knows why Thompson decided to come clean right now? Only he knows. Who cares? Only people with agendas who want to defend the deceitful Thorsen "research." The others involved in that fraud junk science are clearly more questionable than Wakefield ever was. Dr Krigsman did replicate the 1998 Lancet paper findings.

I don't know of anyone who has defended Thorsen's embezzlement of research monies. He is a criminal.

The only defense of fraud appears to be yours, of Wakefield's (proven) fraud. Krigsman did not do anything to exonerate Wakefield of his research fraud or other behavior that led to his professional dismantling and shaming.

As far as agendas are concerned, I don't know anyone here who stands to profit from the outcome of this situation (or any other vaccine issue) one way or another. Except perhaps for you -- since you filed 2 personal injury lawsuits that did not prevail, and as it appears from the public document, you have chosen to continue. After wasting over $15,000 in legal fees paid to your attorney from the VICP intended to support those with actual vaccine injuries, and after this attorney broke up with you, have you found an attorney to take your case who will only be paid if you prevail?

Will you be changing your story (again) now claiming your children received the MMR? And are African-American? I honestly wouldn't be surprised.

And Brian Hooker -- he filed lawsuits too as I understand. Is this correct? Does he have an agenda?

***ETA: Yep, Brian Hooker has been $uing since 2002 trying to collect $$ for vaccine causation/his son's autism. lol, nope, no agenda there:
http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/7m3of04r/united-states-court-of-federal-claims/hooker-et-al-v-hhs/
Last edited by Winnie on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winnie

livsparents

Postby livsparents » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:58 pm

OK, a rehashing of a 10 year old study to accuse the CDC of a cover up because of a blip in a SUBGROUP of children? Let's put this in focus: Roughly 2500 subjects, 624 were autistic, not clear how many were African American. If anyone could find a RELEVANT statistically significant figure in this 10 year old data. It is apparent that the autism world has changed rather drastically in the last dozen years, and the only clear fact in chasing ghosts in 10 year old data is that this guy is trying desperately to stir up controversy...

Him and King and the church of latter day vaccination causationists...shameful use of science journals and the media to stir a dead issue...
Bill
Liv 11 ASD
Grace 9 PDD

and Linda

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:41 pm

This is only a "dead" issue for people in shillville with agendas. If anyone thinks Thorsen is a "criminal," then why is his junk science still there? People who continually protect corrupt scientific frauds. Fortunately, it's not working. :D

http://sharylattkisson.com/cdc-responds ... study-link

“It’s the lowest point in my career that I went along with that paper,” Thompson tells Hooker in a recording played on the online Autism Media Channel. “I went along with this, we didn’t report significant findings.”

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:52 am

livsparents wrote:OK, a rehashing of a 10 year old study to accuse the CDC of a cover up because of a blip in a SUBGROUP of children?

3.4x relative risk isn't a BLIP and just because the SUBGROUP was African America doesn't mean it is not important or small - in fact it is the majority group in Atlanta, Georgia.

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:16 pm

kulkulkan wrote:
livsparents wrote:OK, a rehashing of a 10 year old study to accuse the CDC of a cover up because of a blip in a SUBGROUP of children?

3.4x relative risk isn't a BLIP and just because the SUBGROUP was African America doesn't mean it is not important or small - in fact it is the majority group in Atlanta, Georgia.

Oh good grief. Livsparents certainly wasn't implying that African American children aren't important. That's the card Wakefield played in his ridiculous video.

A result in a subgroup of a subgroup -- that Hooker found by manipulating the statistical analysis differently from the original study -- may or may not be statistically meaningful (important). It appears to be a "blip" as it is dissimilar to other groups in the same study, and does not reflect the prevalence in this subgroup found in other studies (which one might reasonably expect). The number of children we are talking about in this subgroup of a subgroup (especially if small) might also contribute to a "blip."

Hooker is not a statistician, and he quite obviously is not "unbiased." He has been trying to find some vaccine causation for years and years, and filed a personal injury suit to that effect.

But if the anti-vaccine folks want to accept Hooker's "analysis" as the final word, then I guess they will also have to accept that the MMR does not increase risk for any other group. And that runs contrary to what they have claimed and want to believe.
Winnie

livsparents

Postby livsparents » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:24 pm

But with the idea that autism is/was not often diagnosed in African American children because on socio-economic factors back in 2004 could very well make it a much smaller sub-group, even in Atlanta. The group of African American children would likely be more severe, since milder cases may not have been picked up in lower income households.

The problem with looking a these 2004 numbers as static data sets is that the autism spectrum is an was such a dynamic and SUBJECTIVE diagnosis. If the last 10 years have shown us one thing, it's that microcosms can vary wildly between areas, between types of autism and means of diagnosis. These people are continually treating this as black and white (scuse the pun), that there is/was a blood test that separates the autistic from the non autistic. For example, there was a 58% change in GA between 2002 and 2008 for 8 year olds; the change was 77% for African Americans (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6103a1.htm?s_cid=ss6103a1_w#Tab5

I still can't find what the 'n' was for the African American subgroup. It could probably be calculated from the tables, but I never took any advanced statistical analysis classes.

http://www.safeminds.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MMR-African-American-Boys-Autism-Hooker-2014.pdf

I'm still under the supposition that there can easily be alternate explanations to the 'statistically significant'. There are too many socio-economic factors to ignore...too many leaps of logic to conclude a grand cover-up...
Bill
Liv 11 ASD
Grace 9 PDD

and Linda

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:44 pm

Lots of generalizations with respect to African American population deleted

The N for African american kids is not provided in Stefano or Hooker study. But given it was significant enough to increase relative risk to 1.5x for all races in Stefano study at 36 months (rather than 3.4x for African American and 1.0x for all other races in Hooker study), it was likely a large segment of the population studied (which would be consistent with the demographics in Atlanta, Georgia) and my guess would be the majority of the kids (over 50%).

...too many leaps of logic to conclude a grand cover-up...

While it may not seem grand from your perspective, it was an intentional omission with very large ramifications both from ASD research perspective as well as potentially help identifying one major susceptibility in major subset of the population. Could have done at least two or more studies in the past decade testing this correlation in this sub-group in other areas of the country using larger datasets.

And it does not require much leap of logic here (don't even need the Hooker study) when the CDC insider who co-authored the paper has already formally acknowledged 1) his regret on omitting statistical significant information with respect to MMR given to male African american children before age of 3 years, 2) the final study protocol wasn't followed and 3) again, relevant findings were omitted in the study. Then we have him referring to these finding as "sensitive" and "problematic" results in couple of emails disclosed so far. And also have him on tape saying things like he was tired of all the lying. The context for these will hopefully be investigated more formally, but it is clear that he feels guilty for what he did back then.

And it isn't a question of causality, con-founders, or alternate explanations, it is a question of being ethical / transparent here - disclose the "sensitive" findings, try to come out with alternate explanations, but most important, in the end acknowledge that it needs to be further investigated or replicated. Even if it is a correlation based risk, the parents deserve to know and be aware. There are dozens of correlation studies in ASD - this would have been yet another one, but with much broader ramifications.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:25 pm

This is a new one although it is an obvious and factual acknowledgement i.e. doesn't really mean much unless really studying it.

http://sharylattkisson.com/cdc-possibil ... ger-autism

A coauthor of the questioned study is Dr. Frank DeStefano, Director of the CDC Immunization Safety Office. In a telephone interview last week, DeStefano defended the study and reiterated the commonly accepted position that there’s no “causal” link between vaccines and autism.

But he acknowledged the prospect that vaccines might rarely trigger autism.

“I guess, that, that is a possibility,” said DeStefano. “It’s hard to predict who those children might be, but certainly, individual cases can be studied to look at those possibilities.”

Hmmm... How about studying African American population and MMR?

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:44 pm

And you can add the varicella to that kulkulkan...

http://www.standardnewswire.com/news/965249574.html

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Epidemiologist #CDCwhistleblower confirms new review showing vaccine autism link

Admits Agency’s Data Manipulation and Concealment of Research Findings on Initial 2004 MMR Vaccine Study That Found a Strong Statistical Association Between the Timing of the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) Vaccine and Autism Incidence in African-American Boys

...“Ten years ago (February 2, 2004), Dr. Thompson expressed concerns about the [MMR] study’s findings in an urgent letter to CDC Director Dr. Julie Gerberding,” said Dr. Hooker. [Thompson] wrote: ‘I will have to present several problematic results relating to statistical associationsbetween the receipt of the MMR vaccine and autism.’ Referring to the upcoming Institute of Medicine (IOM) meeting on immunizations and autism.

Dr. Thompson received no reply from Dr. Gerberding but was removed from the IOM speaker schedule just days before the meeting. The 2004 IOM report, which omitted his findings, was cited in the Omnibus Autism decision that denied 5,000 families compensation for vaccine injury claims. The report continues to be widely cited for its position of exonerating vaccines’ role in causing autism.

Dr. Gerberding subsequently left the CDC in 2008 and in 2009 became president of Merck’s multi-billion dollar vaccine division, a position she still holds today.

http://www.robertscottbell.com/governme ... tism-link/

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:11 am

https://www.facebook.com/ljgoes/posts/10203437644914451

Lisa Joyce Goes shared Dana Gorman's video.
October 12 at 7:00am ·

Good Morning. Getting lots and lots of calls from people wanting to know how I got on MSNBC. Super simple really:

I spoke at Autism One, thanks to Teri Arranga and Ed Arranga

Some lovely influential people in the audience, spoke to me after my talk.

We established mutual respect.

They called me when a friend of theirs, the powerhouse known as Mary Tocco, was asked if she knew anyone with a vaccine injured child. Mary was smart enough to avoid vaccines so this was not her. They thought of me.

BAM!

So...this is how you do it. I know this is the BAZILLIONTH time I have said it, but YOU NEEEEED TO DO THIS. Get a room at your local library or a restaurant. TALK ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR KID. You do not have to be charismatic or perfect or brilliant or exceptional. YOU JUST NEED TO BE YOU!

You have to love your child more than yourself (done) you have to have read the science (done) you have to have done all the work (done) and you have to want this to change not just for yourself, but more importantly, for ALLLLL the children of this country...including those whose parents think you are a stark raving mad lunatic and take every opportunity to tell you so.

You talk a few times. You get a reputation for being sane and real and...a parent who knows what the heck they are talking about.

The same people who criticize you will start coming to you for advice (TRUE).

They will STILL deny knowing you in public. They will still let people smear you and not stand up for what they are beginning to know as the truth. Ask yourself...really...WHY DOES THIS MATTER? Because, you represent the truth, you are a part of something much bigger than yourself, and your ego does not exist anymore. Your ego died the day your child's immune system was destroyed. The blinders are off. Now, you are a part of something much bigger than you and YOU HAVE TO SEE IT THROUGH. Stay calm and steadfast and keep going.

Keep recovering
Keep talking
Keep working
Keep loving
Keep moving FORWARD.

Stay faithful and know that you are on the RIGHT SIDE. We are WINNING. I am Very VERY excited to see many of my fellow moms and dads and THINKERS on all of the other major networks. Now is the time IT IS YOUR TURN! Goooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”