Jenny McCarthy:My Son Is Being Bullied–But Doesn't Realize

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
Winnie

Jenny McCarthy:My Son Is Being Bullied–But Doesn't Realize

Postby Winnie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:42 pm

For a child whose self-aggrandizing mother claims she “recovered” him from autism, Evan sure seems a lot like a child with autism. Wait – now he has autism after all? Poor Evan – what a sham -- how difficult it must be to have JM as a mother.

Just another self-aggrandizing “Warrior Mom” who spun a tale to ca$h in on attention and $$ on the back of her child. At least her ignorant yap is no longer in the spotlight where autism is concerned.

Jenny McCarthy: My Son Is Being Bullied – But He Doesn't Realize It

By Charlotte Triggs
07/21/2014 01:05PM

Seeing her son Evan, 12, get bullied while off at summer camp has been Jenny McCarthy's nightmare.

But watching his reaction – because of his autism, he doesn't pick up on social cues well enough to realize he's being bullied – has left her wondering what to do.

In a conversation on The View Monday, McCarthy, 41, described her conundrum.

"My son's main goal is to make as many friends as possible," McCarthy said, before adding that she got a heartbreaking email from the camp revealing that the kids he believes are his "friends" are actually bullying him.

"They're laughing at him but he laughs too," she said. "I said, 'You have to find the kids that like you and are nice to you. Who do you sit next to in the cafeteria?' And he said, 'No one. I ask, and they say no.' "

In some ways, McCarthy is relieved Evan is unaware he's being ostracized. "It's so wonderful that he's not aware that kids are making fun of him. But at what point do I need to teach him that?" she asked. "Evan told me, 'They ask me to put bugs down my pants and I do it and they laugh.' He thinks it's funny. Do I just let him be? At what point does it stop? In high school they'll be like, 'Here drink this?' 'Okay!' "

Full article: http://www.people.com/article/jenny-mccarthy-the-view-autistic-son-bullied

and

The departing “View” co-host shared the story about her 12-year-old son, whom she called a “rule follower,” on her Sirius radio show “Dirty Sexy Funny,” according to ABC News.

“We're driving in the car and of course I text and drive," she said on the radio program. "He called the police on me and said, 'My mom is texting and driving right now.' True story."

The radio host said she responded by throwing his phone out the car window. But that wasn’t the only time Evan called the police about his famous mom. When she once sneaked out of the house to smoke a cigarette, he became anxious when couldn’t find her, and so called for help.

"He called 911 and said, 'I am alone in the house. My mom abandoned me,'" McCarthy said. "I go back in the house and it's 911 and they're like, 'Your child just called. Is there an emergency?' I'm like, 'What? No! Everything is fine.'"

Full article: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1880164
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

frivera28

Re: Jenny McCarthy:My Son Is Being Bullied–But Doesn't Reali

Postby frivera28 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:18 pm

I am actually very sad for Evan that he has to be bullied and does not know it. Sounds like this could be my son or anyones kid on the spectrum. I really dont care that this is Jenny McCarthy's kid and honestly for most people, the story here would be about a poor kid putting bugs down his pants from terrible kids.

I often wonder is it better to not tell your kids if they are getting bullied, but I always come back to that they should learn the signs of bullying.

As for Jenny, she put a light on Autism like no one other than Temple Grandin for most of the people in this world and for that she should be applauded. It's better to be talking about Autism than not to be at all.

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:32 pm

Actually, that could even be my NT son who is shy and small for his age and easy target for teasing/bullying (unlike his younger ASD brother, who is big and assertive). So, I do empathize regardless of whether on the spectrum or not. I would like to think that is that (empathizing, not attacking parent) is the first instinct that comes to mind for most.

-Sophie-

Postby -Sophie- » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:46 pm

"My son's main goal is to make as many friends as possible," McCarthy said, before adding that she got a heartbreaking email from the camp revealing that the kids he believes are his "friends" are actually bullying him.

Hopefully the parents of the camp bullies got emails as well so that the bullying can stop!
Evan needs to be taught/understand what a real friend is all about-and encouraging him to think that it's about quantity just isn't the way to help him. Hopefully he will find someone who IS competent to give him some needed guidance in this area.

“We're driving in the car and of course I text and drive," she said on the radio program. "He called the police on me and said, 'My mom is texting and driving right now.' True story."

Jenny McCarthy should be jailed for texting while driving-and I'm glad that Evan called her on it, and phoned the police.
YAY for good thinking Evan!

frivera28 wrote:As for Jenny, she put a light on Autism like no one other than Temple Grandin for most of the people in this world and for that she should be applauded. It's better to be talking about Autism than not to be at all.

As for her "talk" about autism-instead of being applauded, she ought to have just kept her great big ignorant mouth shut.

Josie

Postby Josie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 pm

As for her "talk" about autism-instead of being applauded, she ought to have just kept her great big ignorant mouth shut.

Why? What harm is she doing? Why does this bother you?

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:40 am

kulkulkan wrote:Actually, that could even be my NT son who is shy and small for his age and easy target for teasing/bullying (unlike his younger ASD brother, who is big and assertive). So, I do empathize regardless of whether on the spectrum or not. I would like to think that is that (empathizing, not attacking parent) is the first instinct that comes to mind for most.

FWIW, being "big and assertive" will not prevent a child with autism from being an easy target for bullying.

I do feel bad for Evan -- his mother used him in her self-aggrandizing sham to make $$ and gain attention. And I feel sympathy for any child entering his teens whose mother's ongoing (very public) filthy behavior and job provides additional fodder for ridicule. Jenny is all about Jenny -- she apparently does not consider how her behavior and past recovery ruse affects her son.

In some ways it may be a blessing that he is so naïve -- about his mother anyway. Though considering, his path will almost certainly grow more difficult as he transitions into his teen years.
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

-Sophie-

Postby -Sophie- » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:06 pm

Josie wrote:

Why? What harm is she doing? Why does this bother you?

Well, of course, she's absolutely and completely ignorant from a scientific point of view ( "Evan is my science!"), so she continually makes ridiculous claims, spreads all sorts of pseudo scientific nonsense about autism and vaccines. She is inconsistent and contradicts herself whenever talking about her own son and autism. Recently, she talks about her autistic son being bullied. In 2007 she gushed to the planet that "the autism is all gone". Clearly, she is just full of shite.

And who can forget this ridiculous and irresponsible answer:

PR.com: You never hear about it, you never see it. Where are the autistic adults?

Jenny McCarthy: It’s cause there weren’t any. It’s all now.

AND This reprehensible statement she allowed to be published in her book:

“Autism, as I see it, steals the soul from a child; then, if allowed, relentlessly sucks life’s marrow out of the family members, one by one. It relegates every other “normal” thing to utter insignificance.”

Josie

Postby Josie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Maybe she was just feeling the pain and sadness that happens when a child has autism.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”