Autism: a form of lead and mercury toxicity

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
kulkulkan

Autism: a form of lead and mercury toxicity

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Chelated with DMSA and saw improvements.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25461563/

Autism: A form of lead and mercury toxicity.

Authors
Yassa HA1.
Author information
Journal
Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2014 Nov 6;38(3):1016-1024. doi: 10.1016/j.etap.2014.10.005. [Epub ahead of print]

Affiliation
Abstract
AIM: Autism is a developmental disability characterized by severe deficits in social interaction and communication. The definite cause of autism is still unknown. The aim of this study is to find out the relation between exposure to Lead and/or mercury as heavy metals and autistic symptoms, dealing with the heavy metals with chelating agents can improve the autististic symptoms.

METHOD: Blood and hair samples were obtained from 45 children from Upper Egypt with autism between the ages of 2 and 10 years and 45 children served as controls in the same age range, after taken an informed consent and fill a questionnaire to assess the risk factors. The samples were analyzed blindly for lead and mercury by using atomic absorption and ICP-MS. Data from the two groups were compared, then follow up of the autistic children after treatment with chelating agents were done.

RESULTS: The results obtained showed significant difference among the two groups, there was high level of mercury and lead among those kids with autism. Significant decline in the blood level of lead and mercury with the use of DMSA as a chelating agent. In addition, there was decline in the autistic symptoms with the decrease in the lead and mercury level in blood.

CONCLUSION: Lead and mercury considered as one of the main causes of autism. Environmental exposure as well as defect in heavy metal metabolism is responsible for the high level of heavy metals. Detoxification by chelating agents had great role in improvement of those kids.

Copyright © 2014 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
PMID 25461563 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Santosg

Re: Autism: a form of lead and mercury toxicity

Postby Santosg » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:06 am

Every published study I've come across about chelation for ASD has been positive. In my research I've been really fascinated to find how prevalent arsenic is for ASD children. This is particularly true when they collect urine samples. Arsenic is often the most present metal.

kulkulkan

Re: Autism: a form of lead and mercury toxicity

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Santosg wrote:Every published study I've come across about chelation for ASD has been positive. In my research I've been really fascinated to find how prevalent arsenic is for ASD children. This is particularly true when they collect urine samples. Arsenic is often the most present metal.

Yes, there about half a dozen or so chelation studies and all showing some efficacy. However, none of these were controlled and this one is weak as well in that regard.

Arsenic is very common - CCA wood / decks built would probably be the biggest source aside from insecticides, etc. (though removed now these do still exist - all around our neighbourhood including our backyard). Food sources would include rice. Notwithstanding, arsenic never did show up high for us either in hair or urine. The big ones for us are lead, cadmium and mercury that show up in hair or urine. But that could be function of the chelator (DMSA/DMPS) used.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”