Brain inflammation a hallmark of autism

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
BTDT

Brain inflammation a hallmark of autism

Postby BTDT » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Brain inflammation a hallmark of autism, according to large-scale analysis
by Bob Shepard
December 10, 2014

While many different combinations of genetic traits can cause autism, brains affected by autism share a pattern of ramped-up immune responses, an analysis of data from autopsied human brains reveals. The study, a collaborative effort between Johns Hopkins and the University of Alabama at Birmingham, included data from 72 autism and control brains. It was published online in the journal Nature Communications.

“There are many different ways of getting autism, but we found that they all have the same downstream effect,” said Dan Arking, Ph.D., an associate professor in the McKusick-Nathans Institute for Genetic Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. “What we don’t know is whether this immune response is making things better in the short term and worse in the long term.”

Article continues at link

kulkulkan

Re: Brain inflammation a hallmark of autism

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:38 pm

I think a big positive step in the right direction. Hard to get this kind of data to study.

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:25 am

“Given the known genetic contributors to autism, inflammation is unlikely to be its root cause,” Arking said. “Rather, this is a downstream consequence of upstream gene mutation.”

Vaccine induced brain encephalopathy.

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:19 am

I think that is already a known potential cause but a viral infection can do the same as well.

Full study here.
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/14121 ... s6748.html

I believe below is the key finding. The key ASD gene candidates identified in past decade of genetic research didn't differ much in terms of expression.

Three of the twelve modules were differentially co-expressed (P<0.005), with mod5 (P=9.64 × 10−4) exceeding the multitest correction threshold (Ppermutated<0.002, PBonferroni<0.004; Fig. 3a,b). Mod5 comprised 759 genes (Supplementary Fig. 2a) with enrichment for M2-microglial cell states (Phypergeometric=1.22 × 10−39; Supplementary Data 12 and Fig. 3c) and the GO term ‘Type I Interferon pathway’ (Phypergeometric=1.19 × 10−20; Supplementary Data 13e and Fig. 3d). Type I Interferon responses in the brain are classically attributed to viral infections that can produce M1 activation states in microglia26. Accordingly, mod5 also shows enrichment for GO terms ‘defense response to virus’ (Phypergeometric=6.83 × 10−17) and ‘cytokine-mediated signalling pathway’ (Phypergeometric=6.31 × 10−16; Supplementary Data 13e). In opposition to M1-activated microglia, M2 responses are responsible for mediating anti-inflammatory remediation responses to damage caused by viral infections. M2 microglial cells also secrete ​brain-derived neurotrophic factor (​BDNF), increase the production of neural progenitor cells and promote myelination27, 28, 29. These data provide support for a mechanistic connection for viral-infection hypotheses30 for autism with neural over-growth hypotheses31 through the novel identification of exaggerated M2 activation states in autism brain tissue.

DDMom

Postby DDMom » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Another Read:Study Suggests Brain Inflammation Is A Hallmark Of Autism
You may read this at: Autism Speaks.org-Click on- Research Box
Article posted 12-10-14
There is a mention in this article of using a medication Rapamycin-click on the line See(Brain Study Suggests That Autism Involves Too Many Synapes.
(I apologize)I don`t know how to post a direct link.
Thanks,DDMom

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:53 pm

DDMom wrote:Another Read:Study Suggests Brain Inflammation Is A Hallmark Of Autism
You may read this at: Autism Speaks.org-Click on- Research Box
Article posted 12-10-14
There is a mention in this article of using a medication Rapamycin-click on the line See(Brain Study Suggests That Autism Involves Too Many Synapes.
(I apologize)I don`t know how to post a direct link.
Thanks,DDMom

Here you go.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/sci ... ark-autism
http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/sci ... y-synapses

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”