Vitamin D improved ASD symptoms, a case study

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
kulkulkan

Vitamin D improved ASD symptoms, a case study

Postby kulkulkan » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25511123

Pediatrics. 2014 Dec 15. pii: peds.2014-2121. [Epub ahead of print]
Core Symptoms of Autism Improved After Vitamin D Supplementation.
Jia F1, Wang B1, Shan L1, Xu Z2, Staal WG3, Du L4.
Author information

Abstract
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a common neurodevelopmental disorder caused by a complex interaction between genetic and environmental risk factors. Among the environmental factors, vitamin D3 (cholecaliferol) seems to play a significant role in the etiology of ASD because this vitamin is important for brain development. Lower concentrations of vitamin D3 may lead to increased brain size, altered brain shape, and enlarged ventricles, which have been observed in patients with ASD. Vitamin D3 is converted into 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 in the liver. Higher serum concentrations of this steroid may reduce the risk of autism. Importantly, children with ASD are at an increased risk of vitamin D deficiency, possibly due to environmental factors. It has also been suggested that vitamin D3 deficiency may cause ASD symptoms. Here, we report on a 32-month-old boy with ASD and vitamin D3 deficiency. His core symptoms of autism improved significantly after vitamin D3 supplementation. This case suggests that vitamin D3 may play an important role in the etiology of ASD, stressing the importance of clinical assessment of vitamin D3 deficiency and the need for vitamin D3 supplementation in case of deficiency.
Copyright © 2015 by the American Academy of Pediatrics.

noelm

Re: Vitamin D improved ASD symptoms, a case study

Postby noelm » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:52 pm

I personally concur to this. That being said, Vit D is very tricky. When I researched earlier, I found conflicting information with evidence. Vit D deficiency is the cause of inflammation according to some studies, where as others concluded that inflammation reduced Vit D levels, and supplementing it is not really going to help with inflammation. So it is very confusing what to make out of it, and just a little scary that by supplementing vit D, you are not causing more harm. Since I noticed, benefit, I supplement it along with Vit K2.

Offnote, do you know if someone has mutations in VDR Taq, that acts downstream and is a last step before conversion to Calcitriol, how does it really work? I can't find any conclusive information about the effect of VDR Taq mutations in levels of bioactive Calcitriol.
iHerb code BMV549
$5/$10 off on $20/$40 first order
uBiome 10% off http://bit.ly/1xYWjbG

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:26 pm

This group had reported another case report that I believe I had linked before.

http://image.hanspub.org:8080/pdf/ACRP2 ... 515140.pdf

Both reported efficacy with 150,000 IU shot. The starting vitamin D levels were extremely low (less than 15ng/ml) and levels reached 50-80 within few months which is pretty quick.

Our objective has been to simply bring and keep vit D at normal range (regardless of efficacy) and for that need much higher doses than 400IU daily. Since we have been doing this for more than two years at a slow rate (not single shot), I am not sure if any efficacy was tied to vit D supplementation. We do supplement with K2 as well and have been able reach levels of 50ng/ml and higher.

I did try to research vdr taq (we have vdr taq TT) but didn't find anything conclusive either. In the interim, our objective is to keep levels above 50 which require larger doses than normal. Right now we are doing 500-1000IU daily and 20000IU once on weekends (winter only).

EDIT: Per below blog, the first and second paper from the same group on Vitamin D helping may be the same boy (32 month old) but published twice.
http://questioning-answers.blogspot.ca/ ... -take.html

noelm

Postby noelm » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:09 am

I am not brave enough to shoot 150K units to my 6.5 YO. While it 'may' work in getting Vit D levels in range, we will have no idea what it will do to other oil soluble vitamins. I read cursory remarks that somehow there is a system that keeps all oil soluble vitamins in check and more of one or less of one triggers complicated imbalance in it. Until I find out more about this system, I am not going to supplement more than 10K units/day. Currently, we have been supplementing only 5K once a day (along with SuperK) and 2K for rest of the days of the week, along with Vit K2 every day. I am keeping it this way until I find out his levels earlier next year. My goal is 75ng/ml.

My target number has correlation with my own Ulcerative colitis remission. As and when my Vit D levels hover around 60-70ng/ml, I maintain remission. As and when there is a flare, I notice my Vit D levels are less than 30ng/ml. Although I maintain 5000IU daily, irrespective of the season, I have no idea why it fluctuates. May be fall/winter is the trigger, as majority of the flares have started after august in past 6 years. But it is not the case that I soak sun a lot in summer. I personally hate summer and bright sunlight ( as it triggers migraine) so I don't lie on the beach in summer either as majority of folks, so this is a puzzling piece for me.

I could not read the article, Chinese, but what a news on Autism Speaks website says, thats pretty much same with DS too. His first sign was spinning around himself, at age of 9 months. We found it 'funny' in the beginning, but looking back, that was our first sign. As we started supplementing Vit D, that behavior disappeared. He never had it again. I Hope the authors evaluate child regularly to see how he progresses.

Re: VDR Taq, we both are in same boat. If you find anything, please share.
iHerb code BMV549
$5/$10 off on $20/$40 first order
uBiome 10% off http://bit.ly/1xYWjbG

kulkulkan

Postby kulkulkan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:50 pm

That is interesting on UC remission correlating to Vitamin D levels. We were only able to hit 60+ level once (when we were more aggressively dosing initially) but it dropped down to 49 later. Ideally, I would like to see 75 or higher as well but haven`t been able to achieve that. Interestingly, my wife was able to achieve level of 50 much more rapidly than my son despite using lower and infrequent dosage, both had similar starting point and my son gets a lot more sunlight.

makingitpossible

Postby makingitpossible » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 am

I read somewhere about tanning beds that were not suppose to be carcinogenic and boost vitamin D levels. Now I can't find anything on that. Has anybody else?
We live in Minnesota now so I feel myself getting depressed around this time of year. Every chance we get in spring, summer and early fall we soak up the sun. Her after-school program requires sunscreen but I use the natural stuff and I am thinking I may just make my own next year and put it in a bottle made of carotenoids, shea butter, etc. I feel like living here she doesn't need sunscreen in the summer.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”