Musings Regarding Suramin and Transcranial Stimulation

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
Santosg

Musings Regarding Suramin and Transcranial Stimulation

Postby Santosg » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:37 am

I find the current series of studies on suramin are fantastic. Above all, I think that they have finally started studying autism in a more detailed way: focusing on the problem of intercellular communication as opposed to simply treated it under a broader genetic paradigm that simply seeks to identify genes.

As the lead researcher described, autistic individuals have cells that are highly closed, divensive, rigid. Autistic cells are less social and the aggregate consequence of this are the various social and cognitive impairments that we find in autism.

One of the elements of the brain that always fascinates me is its modularity. It is really ironic. On the one hand we are not really born with a specific set of clusters that oversee our mental and physical activities. But, in another sense, we certainly are. That's why we identify both differences among brains as well as a very wide similarity. But these specialized nodes only come about because there is sufficient global communication among cells that they are create an increasingly efficient division of labor. There are, therefore, cellular networks that are the best as carrying out specific tasks: but in the event of injury or absence, other parts of the brain can learn to take of the task.

In a way, I see the work on suramin and the work on transcranial stimulation as being one in the same. Suramin is so effective precisely because it alters the electric potential of cells. However briefly, it has the capacity to organize electrical signalin between and among cells. That's why, generally, I am skeptical that there will be many fruitful compounds that will emerge directly from this research.

As researchers note, under the enviormental model, there are harmful elements and toxins present in the enviorment that make cells more autonomous, rigid, and defensive. Should such harmful elements, such as phalates or heavy metals, remain within the brain: the short terms effects of suramin: in opening up the channels of intercellular communication, might actually cause more damage. Secondly, it should not change the cellular programming in a meaningful way.

To make a long story short, the implications of the studies really point to the only reasonable long term strategy, should the assumptions be born out: removing the harmful substances from the brain and altering intercellular communication.

Beyond chelation, I think that the most prudent and logical strategy is increasing healthy phospholipids to reconstitute the cells, making them more porus.

Beyond simply helping communication, the real benefits of omega 3s are that they make cells more flexible. They are more porous and therefore more able to receive nutrition, act as conductors, and eliminate waste. That's also, conversely, why trans-fats are so bad: cells will use them because they mirror healthy fats, but they actually make cells highly rigid. Cells can no longer easily act as conductors, get the nutrition they need, or eliminate the waste they generate.

I think it is fairly obvious to state that the very wide success of the MB12 shot rests on its ability to aid brain mylenation. The exactly same thing can be said for the long term benefits of HBOT. HBOT helps to get blood into areas of the brain that are oxygen starved, but these areas of the brain require far more then blood to function properly. They also require a more extensie network of myelin. And that's precisely what long term HBOT does.

Healty cells are porous cells. Another way to cause cells to become porus is through electro magnetic stimulation. Electroporation is routinely done in labs to cells to alter their characteristics: introducing a novel strand of DNA or a virus, etc. I actually spent a bit of time considering using some PEMF devices in conjunction with chelation. I did later hear that Dr. Neubrander had experimented with such a program, but was not at all pleased with patient outcomes. When you actually get into studying the intricacies of the cells, such as the use of ion channels, it becomes very obvious that this is nothing to be trifled with. So I absolutely don't recommend doing it in conjunction with chelation, at least until the individual is basically free of any heavy mental burden at a very advanced state in the process.

PEMF studies are decades old and have been used on lots of different maladies. Anyway, they can, for instance kill cancer cells while leaving health cells alone.

Cells are little batteries. PEMF can help them recharge themselves in very therapeutic and beneficial ways. One of the things I found fascinating was a lecture I stumbled upon by Dr. Bonlie.

I also found an interesting talk on this topic by Dr. Bonlie discussion of the chelating potential of magnets. Another researcher was using magnets to help Parkinson patients. These patients were getting very sick. They collected urine samples and found that they were releasing heavy metals.

Now, there is very little research in this area, but much of what is said in the talk can be validated by external sources in the nature of cells. In the end, we can accept a simple elements: heavy metals embed themselves in cells and inhibit their function. In many instance, such as with arsenic, the burden of the metal rests precisely in the way it inhibits is electrical operation.

The question always becomes, why can't the cells remove the metal? From Dr. Bonlie's talk, the answer rests on the reduced energetics of the cell itself. If, however, you directly increase the energy of the cell, its ATP, past a certain threshold it becomes capable of expelling the metal. And with it, begin effectively chelating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th8IyllBXzs

I would love to test this directly. If there is a parent who is going to have transcranial stimulation done, I think it would be worth collecting money among the members of the board to have urine tested.

I did call Bonlie and spoke to him briefly on these matters. He does not sight any studies beyond the few that are referenced in his lecture. And I have found that to be an extremely problematic and consistent pattern with him: not much proof.

I do, however, find it interesting that Yasko sells Bonlie mattresses. Has anyone used them to come effect? Or nothing?

In an ideal world, I would love to have a study that investigated if transcranial stimulation can act as an effective chelator of metals in the brain.

Secondly, I think the best course of action beyond conventional chelation, would be to have phospholipid IV s. I know that they exist, but they don't seem particularly common. But I think that this would be a more meaningful way to alter the 'locked' down nature of cells we find in autism.

kulkulkan

Re: Musings Regarding Suramin and Transcranial Stimulation

Postby kulkulkan » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:25 am

Interesting. Any studies at all on chelation ability using magnetic fields (even theoretical studies)? The video does talk about the 12 patient pre and post trial. The rest of presentation on curing everything sounds too good to be true.

There appear to be liposomal forms of phospholipids - can do that instead of IV?

Santosg

Re: Musings Regarding Suramin and Transcranial Stimulation

Postby Santosg » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:29 am

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have not found any studies--even the theoretical ones--that have ever explored the use of magnets to chelate metals. I really do think that it is something worth looking at. Bonlie mentions the doctor who first noticed his patients getting sick after using magnets. Anyway, I was able to identify and locate the physician. I have been meaning to call him direct to at least try to verify parts of what Bonlie is saying.

At some level, I think that it does make a great deal of sense. Metals are issues with autism as well as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, etc. Yet we know that magnetic therapy has proven to be of some benefit to these conditions. I think it is only plausible that it has to be able to either compensate for the presents of metals or be able to also more effectively remove them. But its all being said on a very thin layer of suppositions.

There must be at least a few parents on this board who have an MRI scheduled for their child. I think it is worth having a urine collection done to test the hypothesis directly. I'd be happy to contribute to funds.

My son won't be having another MRI done--he only had a very quick scan without sedation--until he's older. Anyway, once he does, I'm going to do the testing myself.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”