Help please: Problematic Behavior in Public Settings Study

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
Sgwalden

Help please: Problematic Behavior in Public Settings Study

Postby Sgwalden » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to the discussion. My name is Shana and I am a psychology student in Pensacola, Florida where I study ASD at our local university.
I am writing an analytical paper on The Difficulties or Concerns faced for Families with Autistic Individuals in Public Settings. I have reached out to my community and I am reaching out to you.
I came upon this topic when I was frustrated in a restaurant when another patron became verbally frustrated with an autistic child with food sensitivity and becoming upset . Forgive me as I have the best intentions saying this, but my frustration arose from sympathy. Not for the family with the autistic child, but for the individual too close-minded to ever understand such a disorder. People are quick to judge autistic individuals, without ever knowing their entire story. I do not claim, nor will I ever to fully understand the challenges faced in homes with autistic members; however, I am dedicating my years at the university to seeing how we as a society can be more respectful and understanding of the different needs of autistic children. We need understanding without sympathy and without treating anyone differently.
I have created a ten-item questionnaire online that is completely anonymous. No IP addresses are recorded, no demographics will be asked; just personal experiences. If you choose to participate, any identifying information will be omitted from my analysis. My purpose of this is to write an educational piece for caregivers and general public that discusses common problematic behaviors that can arise from excessive stimuli in public settings. Further information is available on the link. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know on this thread. Thank you everyone for considering.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YNWLTPP

B.L. Pike

Re: Help please: Problematic Behavior in Public Settings Study

Postby B.L. Pike » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:14 pm

Hello, Sgwalden,

I haven't read your survey, but your post here made me wonder, since you're hoping to create understanding and empathy from the general public, why you wouldn't be asking instead for personal experiences of particularly joyful or successful public moments. People with autism have an understanding of certain aspects of our shared existence that others of us lack, and learning to recognize and value that perspective is an even bigger need that discussing (yet again!) all the potential misunderstandings and upsetting experiences.

Just a thought, anyway.
B.L.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”