Anyone here Critical of Neurodiversity?

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
ylevental

Anyone here Critical of Neurodiversity?

Postby ylevental » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 am

I'm 23 and I used to think Autism was great but now I'm tired of it. It has no more positive benefit in my life. The best argument I can find against neurodiversity so far is here http://jonathans-stories.com/non-fiction/neurodiv.html

Santosg

Re: Anyone here Critical of Neurodiversity?

Postby Santosg » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:32 am

Thanks for the link. I think there is a lot be said for understanding the differences we all have and appreciating those differences. It is, however, another thing entirely to try to make a political crusade of autism as simply another perspective on life.

Autism speaks directly of core deficits in communication and social interaction that are central to how we navigate the world. They are not marginal. They are problems. Some autistic people have other skills. Great. There are a lot of 'neurotypical' people who are also good at math or programming. The issue with autism is what the individual struggle with certain fundamental skills. It has NOTHING to with their strengths.

Everyone requires self esteem. An autistic person, like any person, only gains confidence and self belief by moving into the world, through struggle, through overcoming challenges. People who are basically lost in their own limited self beliefs believe that the fact that they are 'purple' 'orange' or 'spotted' is behind all the problems in their life. If only you told the world that 'spotted' people are great all the problems of life will be solved. But they can't and they won't be, because in the end you are only dealing with other people in the world and not labels. Each person has to go and try to fight for what they want in life.

Now, onto the biggest problem, I'm glad at the author of the post you linked to called out and questioned many of these spokesman for the neurotypical/autism acceptance movement. Sorry, but I don't believe that people who were always in typical classroom environment, did not require aids or special education and have always 'passed' as normal individuals are autistic. But that's the pattern you find with the spokesman of the neurodiversity bandwagon.....many people who are diagnosed as adults, often only after having a child diagnosed. I think it comes from a need to identify with the child. Left that that, its innocent enough. For others, though, its a weapon to be used to garner ever more attention for themselves.

I perfect case study in this would be the slimy Golem like Fiona O'Leary. Just another person who was diagnosed as an adult, yet has been able to successfully operate in society, get and stay married and have children. A publicity hound, she's actually made a name for herself by attacking individuals in the biomedical community. After all, no one should seek to address autism medically or at all. The nasty little shrew actually set off the chain of events that resulted in the death of Dr. Bradstreet.

I'll give her this, Fiona O'Leary is ambitious. She appoints herself the great defender of autistic people and goes after soft targets. People already at the margins of the medical establishment. Practioners who are actually trying to help them, such as Dr. Bradstreet. Her current theme is MMS. Again, a soft target. She never asks any useful questions about why the rate of autism are increasing so steadily. I don't see actions taken against pharmaceutical companies. For instance, the fact that risperdal--prescribed to lots of autistic individuals-had side effects that were kept hidden. Where is the organized protests against them?

After the Washington Post article on Bradstreet, Fiona was immediately on the boards eat up every second of it. Eager to keep the fun, amusing event dancing before her eyes.

But there is a method to her madness. It's all part of a bigger plan. Did you know she just announced she's running for public office? Suprised? I'm not either. It's Fiona's world, autistic people just happen to live and be tools for her to use in it.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”