reviewers needed for autism theory

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
apraxiaincanada

reviewers needed for autism theory

Postby apraxiaincanada » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Hello Autism Parents,

I am the Mom of two girls, one with symptoms of autism and an apraxia diagnosis, I am also a teacher, and an amateur autism theorist.

I have a theory - consumption of low mineral water as a contributing factor in autism.

To be honest I am sick of working on the theory and sick of even looking at it.

I need a few people to look at the theory and tell me what to do next.

Let me know, thanks.

Santosg

Re: reviewers needed for autism theory

Postby Santosg » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:35 am

This is not a theory. It is the kernel of a theory. Also, the treatment of water is decades older than the rise of autism. So what is it particular to water in the last few decades that can be causally linked to the rise of autism? I am not aware of a specific link.

harrymallen

Re: reviewers needed for autism theory

Postby harrymallen » Mon May 09, 2016 5:34 am

Theory of mind refers to the notion that many autistic individuals do not understand that other people have their own plans, thoughts, and points of view. Furthermore, it appears that they have difficulty understanding other people's beliefs, attitudes, and emotions.

Many of the tasks used to test this theory have been given to non-autistic children as well as children with mental retardation, and the theory of mind phenomenon appears to be unique to those with autism. In addition, theory of mind appears to be independent of intelligence even though people with Asperger's syndrome exhibit this problem to a lesser degree.

Interestingly, people with autism have difficulty comprehending when others don't know something. It is quite common, especially for those with savant abilities, to become upset when asking a question of a person to which the person does not know the answer.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”