Neurobehavioural effects of developmental toxicity

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:29 pm

from the Lancet Magazine
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(13)70278-3/fulltext

Summary

Neurodevelopmental disabilities, including autism, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, dyslexia, and other cognitive impairments, affect millions of children worldwide, and some diagnoses seem to be increasing in frequency. Industrial chemicals that injure the developing brain are among the known causes for this rise in prevalence. In 2006, we did a systematic review and identified five industrial chemicals as developmental neurotoxicants: lead, methylmercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, arsenic, and toluene. Since 2006, epidemiological studies have documented six additional developmental neurotoxicants—manganese, fluoride, chlorpyrifos, dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, tetrachloroethylene, and the polybrominated diphenyl ethers. We postulate that even more neurotoxicants remain undiscovered. To control the pandemic of developmental neurotoxicity, we propose a global prevention strategy. Untested chemicals should not be presumed to be safe to brain development, and chemicals in existing use and all new chemicals must therefore be tested for developmental neurotoxicity. To coordinate these efforts and to accelerate translation of science into prevention, we propose the urgent formation of a new international clearinghouse.

Introduction

Disorders of neurobehavioural development affect 10–15% of all births,1 and prevalence rates of autism spectrum disorder and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder seem to be increasing worldwide.2 Subclinical decrements in brain function are even more common than these neurobehavioural developmental disorders. All these disabilities can have severe consequences3—they diminish quality of life, reduce academic achievement, and disturb behaviour, with profound consequences for the welfare and productivity of entire societies.4
The root causes of the present global pandemic of neurodevelopmental disorders are only partly understood. Although genetic factors have a role,5 they cannot explain recent increases in reported prevalence, and none of the genes discovered so far seem to be responsible for more than a small proportion of cases.5 Overall, genetic factors seem to account for no more than perhaps 30–40% of all cases of neurodevelopmental disorders. Thus, non-genetic, environmental exposures are involved in causation, in some cases probably by interacting with genetically inherited predispositions.

Strong evidence exists that industrial chemicals widely disseminated in the environment are important contributors to what we have called the global, silent pandemic of neurodevelopmental toxicity.6, 7 The developing human brain is uniquely vulnerable to toxic chemical exposures, and major windows of developmental vulnerability occur in utero and during infancy and early childhood.8 During these sensitive life stages, chemicals can cause permanent brain injury at low levels of exposure that would have little or no adverse effect in an adult.

more at the address above
WD
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

jaumeb

Re: Neurobehavioural effects of developmental toxicity

Postby jaumeb » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:58 am

It seems like the only way forward is going back to pre-industrial times.

melanie R

Postby melanie R » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:43 am

And especially since all these chemicals ends up in the end in the food chain. Just got to be always super careful

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:34 am

jaumeb wrote:It seems like the only way forward is going back to pre-industrial times.

This is the truth. Sorry, but we so (expletive deleted) up a few generations of those of us genetically sensitive to these pollutants.

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:56 am

Aspie, there are two other aspects, beyond pollutants, that I am interested in.
- diet. The book "nutrition and physical degeneration" was an eye opener for me. It is freely available online.
- pressure on belly and sleeping position: I suspect that anything that puts pressure on the gut just makes things worse. Do you sleep on your belly? I am trying to sleep on my back.

Then there is also general lifestyle. Sunshine, exercise, etc. may also play a role.

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:34 am

jaumeb wrote:Aspie, there are two other aspects, beyond pollutants, that I am interested in.
- diet. The book "nutrition and physical degeneration" was an eye opener for me. It is freely available online.
- pressure on belly and sleeping position: I suspect that anything that puts pressure on the gut just makes things worse. Do you sleep on your belly? I am trying to sleep on my back.

Then there is also general lifestyle. Sunshine, exercise, etc. may also play a role.

Yes, I think diet and lowering stress plays a role, but only a palliative one. I think Molybdenum is the MOST under-appreciated nutrient in ASD as far as mitigating the effects of these pollutants. However, I do not know if the inhibition glyphospates cause to SUOX can be overcome other than by not eating them.

And I always sleep on my side. :)

jaumeb

Postby jaumeb » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:30 am

Thanks for the info, Aspie. I've been eating organic food the last seven years.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”