Autistic boy hospitalised after receiving holistic treatment to 'cure' condition

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
Winnie

Autistic boy hospitalised after receiving holistic treatment to 'cure' condition

Postby Winnie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:21 am

A four-year-old boy has been admitted to hospital after he was given holistic medicine to ‘cure’ his autism, doctors have warned.

Doctors writing in the British Medical Journal have appealed to parents of autistic children to avoid the potentially dangerous treatments and urged them that rather than ‘curing’ autism, such medication could put children at risk of serious harm.

Doctors Catriona Boyd and Abdul Moodambail say they treated the child, who has not been named, after he was admitted to hospital with vomiting, constipation and weight loss. After doctors examined him they found him to be suffering from hypercalcaemia, an abnormally high level of calcium in the blood, as well as a high level of vitamin D.

Days after he was admitted to hospital, his mother admitted a naturopath had told her to give the boy holistic supplements to treat his autism, including camel milk and silver. The doctors wrote: “Several days into his admission his mother disclosed that for a number of months he had been taking 12 different holistic supplements recommended to the family by a naturopath to help with his autism.

“These supplements included vitamin D, calcium magnesium citrate, cod liver oil, camel milk, silver… epsom bath salts and sodium chloride.”

Full article: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/autistic-boy-hospitalised-after-receiving-holistic-treatment-to-cure-condition-a7348671.html
Winnie
"Make it a powerful memory, the happiest you can remember."

AspieGenes

Re: Autistic boy hospitalised after receiving holistic treatment to 'cure' condition

Postby AspieGenes » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Almost every naturopath I meet has zero idea about the function and interplay between various enzymes and cofactors in the body. I would not trust one of them with my child, and I would not trust myself either even with everything I know. I know you all are suffering and want to help your children but you have to go slow and careful with this stuff, if you do it at all. Acceptance first, then healing.

Winnie

Re: Autistic boy hospitalised after receiving holistic treatment to 'cure' condition

Postby Winnie » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:25 am

AspieGenes wrote: I know you all are suffering and want to help your children but you have to go slow and careful with this stuff, if you do it at all.

Good advice. :)
Winnie

Santosg

Postby Santosg » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:43 pm

AspieGenes wrote:Almost every naturopath I meet has zero idea about the function and interplay between various enzymes and cofactors in the body.

Do you really suppose its very different from medical doctors? I had a conversation--casual, had nothing to do with my son--with an M.D. who graduated from Harvard Medical School. He'd studied biochemistry as an undergraduate. Anyway, long story short, his knowledge of genetics was incredibly thin.

In terms of this particular case, either the boy had a significant metabolic issue or was giving an insanely high dose. In either case, it could hardly be said to be fair to cast the entire field into disrepute. Medical doctors kill through negligence daily, but we don't tell people to avoid all medical doctors because that would be seen as a ridiculous generalization.

Frankly, I find the parents that avoid all alternative interventions, such as even basic targeted supplementation, metabolic testing, etc, to be the ones being steered in the wrong direction. Autism is many things, caused by many factors. There are no simple answers or single solutions. Parents of autistic children are too complacent, too inactive, too willing to just take the pediatricians 'word for it' and never seek out answers. My only regret with my son is that I started biomedical interventions too late, too meekly. If I could do it again, I'd definitely have started everything sooner, avoided somethings, added others. But I would definitely not say 'don't do it.' That would be the worst suggestion that I could have received and absolutely the worst suggestion I could give another parent.

AspieGenes

Postby AspieGenes » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:00 pm

Santosg wrote:
AspieGenes wrote:Almost every naturopath I meet has zero idea about the function and interplay between various enzymes and cofactors in the body.

Do you really suppose its very different from medical doctors? I had a conversation--casual, had nothing to do with my son--with an M.D. who graduated from Harvard Medical School. He'd studied biochemistry as an undergraduate. Anyway, long story short, his knowledge of genetics was incredibly thin.

In terms of this particular case, either the boy had a significant metabolic issue or was giving an insanely high dose. In either case, it could hardly be said to be fair to cast the entire field into disrepute. Medical doctors kill through negligence daily, but we don't tell people to avoid all medical doctors because that would be seen as a ridiculous generalization.

Frankly, I find the parents that avoid all alternative interventions, such as even basic targeted supplementation, metabolic testing, etc, to be the ones being steered in the wrong direction. Autism is many things, caused by many factors. There are no simple answers or single solutions. Parents of autistic children are too complacent, too inactive, too willing to just take the pediatricians 'word for it' and never seek out answers. My only regret with my son is that I started biomedical interventions too late, too meekly. If I could do it again, I'd definitely have started everything sooner, avoided somethings, added others. But I would definitely not say 'don't do it.' That would be the worst suggestion that I could have received and absolutely the worst suggestion I could give another parent.

It is different, but in a different way. MD'a are bad but they are more careful. They will do nothing instead of guessing. To me, if I am paying someone to help my child, I would want them to be careful and scientific. I agree MDs know nothing about genetics, but neither do the naturopaths. They think just because a gene has a SNP it needs to be treated. It might be that you have an MTHFR SNP for a GOOD reason.

I talk to naturopaths all the time. One simple question I ask them is "How do vitamins work?" You would be surprised how many cannot answer that question. Even the difference between giving someone 5-MTHF and Riboflavin for MTHFR fails to phase them. Also, hair testing, they have no idea how poor it is as a marker. For instance, some things can be high in the hair and low in the serum. That is a big deal! They are just very unscientific and I would rather have a doctor who is more scientific than someone who is not and will try risky things.

To me, there is a simple cause and solution behind ASD. I am being cautious right now because I do not want people acting on it. I agree that doing nothing is not a good option, but giving your child to a naturopath is worse that nothing at this point in my opinion.

To me, the most important things a parent can do is limit their child's exposure to chlorine, chloramine, fluoride, pesticides and sulfites and observe them constantly to link their behavior with environmental factors. And get a serum molybdenum test.
http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/ ... tive/89270

Winnie

Postby Winnie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:48 am

AspieGenes wrote:I talk to naturopaths all the time. One simple question I ask them is "How do vitamins work?" You would be surprised how many cannot answer that question. Even the difference between giving someone 5-MTHF and Riboflavin for MTHFR fails to phase them. Also, hair testing, they have no idea how poor it is as a marker. For instance, some things can be high in the hair and low in the serum. That is a big deal! They are just very unscientific and I would rather have a doctor who is more scientific than someone who is not and will try risky things.

Related (sort of) article:

Herbal and dietary supplements tied to liver damage

Published October 06, 2016
· Reuters

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/10/06/herbal-and-dietary-supplements-tied-to-liver-damage.html
Winnie

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”