Writing Advice

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
JeffHanson

Writing Advice

Postby JeffHanson » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:34 am

I'm writing a travel story and I want Max (22) to contribute material. As you can guess, getting him to sit down to work with any kind of formality or process will be tough. Has anyone any advice on how to structure time for a high-functioning but easily distracted spectrum writer?

Also, Max and I have a Kickstarter going to fund the project. It will be a travel story where the main characters are an autistic adult and his sister. Max and I are going on our own road trip to give him places and experiences to write about.

B.L. Pike

Re: Writing Advice

Postby B.L. Pike » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 am

Oh my goodness, what a fantastic idea!

Lots to think about here. Do you read aloud together? We do that here, and our (adult) son loves hearing travel stories (like The Hobbit, for instance), so we read every evening at dinner. Sharing the writing of others is inspiring and also gives us common ground for talking about day to day experiences. Since you'll be writing together, that kind of shared background could be priceless as you compose your own adventures.

Our son is not very high-functioning, but we have worked on creative projects together (nothing as impressive as an entire book!) Recording short sessions of story "brainstorming" is invaluable because it gives me his exact wording of ideas, which I can draw on later as I turn them into "his" short stories. He also enjoys drawing and will talk out whole stories while engaged in his artwork, so recording that is helpful as well.

I would think short spurts of working on the writing would be easiest to manage, interspersed with physical activities and some "reward" activities--whatever your son especially enjoys. Certainly your idea of traveling together will be the best inspiration. Plan each travel day to include scheduled stops for meals and a regular time (or times) when you'll work together on the writing, so that the schedule itself does some of the work of making the writing happen.

Do keep us posted on your progress--we're excited for you!
B.L.

DanceProphecy

Re: Writing Advice

Postby DanceProphecy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:40 am

Writing an article or a book is more realistic when your inspiration comes from your own experience. The true emotions is there.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”