Which autism causation theory has the most evidence?

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
MCA

Postby MCA » Mon May 01, 2006 5:17 pm

Could someone point me in the direction of the studies of the immune/gut connection? I would really appreciate it.

Mary

Postby Mary » Mon May 01, 2006 6:03 pm

MCA wrote:Could someone point me in the direction of the studies of the immune/gut connection? I would really appreciate it.

There were some presentations at the last DAN that will be on their web site in a few months, if you missed the conferences. Check back at the ARI or DAN Conference web sites. You also can order the book with the powerpoint slides for $20 now, but if you wait, the presentations on the web site are free.

Gabesmom

Postby Gabesmom » Mon May 01, 2006 8:00 pm

BDTD,

Thanks for sharing that research regarding brain structure. That was fascinating and seems to make a good deal of sense. In our case, I believe my son's autism has a very strong genetic component and a study that points out obvious brain structure differences definitely lends credence to that theory. I have often wondered how my son has been able to read and write words well in advance of most of his peers but has such a hard time with verbal communication, joint attention, etc. I think that a lot of HFA kids got placed in gifted programs in the past (I think my hubby was one of them) because of their ability to use their visual strengths to compensate for their weaknesses. They tend to do well on superficial academic tests, so no one realizes that they have a problem until they get older and their higher order processing skills are called upon more and more. Some of them still get by in high school because they tend to have excellent rote memory skills which work out well on multiple choice tests. Many of them finally tank in college or in life in general and become depressed because their underlying weaknesses have never been diagnosed or addressed. Many of them never know why they have such a hard time holding down a job or maintaining a relationship- at least not until they have a child that is diagnosed as autistic and all of the pieces start to fall into place.
Jennifer, Mother to Anna, 5 (NT), Gabriel, 4, Autistic

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”