"Autistic kids fall victim to parents who run amok"

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
littlebopeep

Postby littlebopeep » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:07 pm

Mary wrote:Of course, her judgement comes in the same column that makes the astonishing comment that ALL children have special needs, thereby minimizing the TRULY special needs of a severely autistic child. Guess there's no need to provide extra resources to that stressed parent, if her child's needs are no different than that of a NT child?

I agree with you there, Mary. All problems concerning one's children are not created equal and the author is in no position to say that it is. Her point is well taken, though, that the murder of one's child is never justified.
Fred, 7, NT
Barney, 5, autism

MCA

Postby MCA » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:51 pm

^^^ Very well said. I just can't say it as succinctly^^^

mouseker

Postby mouseker » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:53 am

I have to agree with MCA, Littlebopeep that was very well said.

I really liked the video. Living with an autistic child is very hard and it is not something that many people understand unless they have taught and or babysat for one. It is still such a relatively new diagnosis that people just don't understand, not only do we have this disability to help our kids over come but it goes way beyond that for us where it doesn't for others. Insurance will cover any number disabilities but they will not cover anything related to autism. Being blind or deaf is a known quantity people with these disabilities have gone on to have remarkable lives. I can count on one hand the number of adult autistics that have achieved the same sucess. The future of autistic kids is so unknown that the thought of "what happens to my autistic child when I die" is really terrifying. Most disorders have a known cause, many parents of autistic kids carry around a self created burden of guilt "did I do something that injured my child?" If a child is blind or deaf they automatically have access to 30,000 worth of education often at private institutions. Where we have to push school boards to create autistic classrooms.

All disabilities are hard but the lack of programs, lack of school support, unknown causes and unknown futures take dealing with autism to a whole new level.

I understand the frustration and the sorrow and the anger but there is still always that part that keeps me from doing something permanant about it such as killing a child. But some people just do not have that check to stop them and it doesn't have to be an autistic child just last week a man was convicted of killing his little girl still a toddler not autistic. So I think that what we are seeing here is that the number of children with autism has gotten to be so many that we are now seeing some of the horrors of the general public crossing over into the autism community.

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”