Research points to "novel gut disease" in ASD kids

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
mom2mom

Research points to "novel gut disease" in ASD kids

Postby mom2mom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:40 am

http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm/cmi_718068

AUSTIN, Texas -- A maverick British scientist who now works in Austin has completed a new study on autism that links the disease to a novel intestinal illness.

The research, which will be published in this month's issue of the Journal of Clinical Immunology that is expected to come out today, opens the door to testing treatments for some autistic children, including a diet that forbids dairy products and certain grains.

Dr. Andy Wakefield, whose earlier work caused a furor by suggesting an association between a common childhood vaccine and autism, said he considers the latest research groundbreaking.

The study by Wakefield and three collaborators builds on previous research connecting autism and the gut.

But it goes several steps further: It identifies a new inflammatory intestinal disease in some children who appear normal but regress into autism; it suggests the intestinal disease is viral, thus giving clues about the nature of this type of autism; and it provides new targets for treating autism in some children.

"This now gives us the basis of what is driving that disease and what we can do to treat many children" who regress into autism, said Wakefield, who is setting up a research, education and treatment center for autistic children in Austin called the Thoughtful House.

go to link to read the rest

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:32 am

How fitting that I would wake far too early to diarrhea diapers (still! after 1 minor infraction with milk a week ago!) and find this article. So thankful that research is being done. SLOWLY but surely.

Diarrhea and inflamed intestines go together so well with morning coffee. :wink:

Joey'smom

Postby Joey'smom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:19 pm

Too bad some of these researchers can't spend some time with you at your home and see the diarreah diapers for themselves. Sorry, docs, researchers, pediatricians, THIS IS NOT NORMAL!! I just wonder how long it IS going to take before someone makes a connection that leads to treatment that is PAID FOR through insurance and not by laying it all on parents who are going out on limbs along with diet and other interventions...
Joey, 10 yrs., PDD-NOS was our last dx
GFCF, Yasko, ABA
Hoping to get to RDI

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:46 pm

Ya know, I've been thinking about this a great deal, particularly since this "novel gut disease" seems to be found in children with regressive autism.

I am really not sure how to classify my son. In my opinion, he did not progress "normally" from pretty early on in that he was late reaching milestones, sharing smiles, etc., etc. HOWEVER, there was also a period, somewhere between 9 mos old and 13 mos old that I stopped worrying about his development so much. During that time, he was saying mamma and dadda (clearly distinguishing one from the other), he was also attempting to say sky ("kai"), car, truck, etc., and he had started pointing out objects in a book with prompting. One of the objects he pointed out was a "nemo fish" (clown fish), and this was particularly exciting because it was on a page with about a dozen different colorful fish . . . Then it all stopped.

Now, with dietary experimentation, a little information, some hindsight, and our present bout of diarrhea and raw butt cheeks, it is quite clear to me that he has "gut issues".

I wonder, I wonder, I wonder. . .

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”