LMP did you see this?

Discuss autism theories, media stories, and efforts to put ASD on the government agenda here.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Please limit quotes from articles to five paragraphs. Also, researchers may post study information here.
mom_of_an_autie

LMP did you see this?

Postby mom_of_an_autie » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:28 pm

New Jersey Father On Hunger Strike For Autism Funding
http://tinyurl.com/fdrk3

Cherry Hill -- A local father of an autistic son began a weeklong fast
at midnight today in defense of special needs funding in school districts
around the state.
Stuart Chaifetz will consume nothing but water for seven days to call
attention to what he says is a lack of state funding for children who are
developmentally and educationally at risk.
He wants the state to transfer $2 million budgeted for recreational
hunting programs from the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife and put
it toward the state Department of Education's special education and autism
grants.
The state has appropriated about $19.5 million for the grants,
Chaifetz said. But he fears the funding will be cut in the final budget bill
because of the state's difficult financial situation, he said.
"We are putting before the governor and legislature the choice between
the worthy and unworthy, education versus recreation, kids before killing,"
said Chaifetz, who also directs an animal rights political action committee.
Chaifetz is the primary caregiver for his 4-year-old son, Akian
Chaifetz-Green.

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:08 pm

We need some parents in Alabama to do that LOL. Our Autism funding SUCKS!!! By the way I have found a non-profit who only donates money to parents who are using it for biomedical. I'll email you application. I'm applying for a grant for HBOT in Sept. I'm talking to the lady about making a chapter in Alabama so that we can do fundraisers and have the money actually go to our KIDS treatments instead of books and literature on what autism is. I think we all know what autism is by now.

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:19 pm

sashasmom wrote:We need some parents in Alabama to do that LOL. Our Autism funding SUCKS!!! By the way I have found a non-profit who only donates money to parents who are using it for biomedical. I'll email you application. I'm applying for a grant for HBOT in Sept. I'm talking to the lady about making a chapter in Alabama so that we can do fundraisers and have the money actually go to our KIDS treatments instead of books and literature on what autism is. I think we all know what autism is by now.

Crystal, can you email me the info too? ald36611@highstream.net

Thanks!

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:29 pm

Done! :wink:

Susan'sHope

Postby Susan'sHope » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:42 pm

Crystal,
Could you also email me the information?

By the way I have found a non-profit who only donates money to parents who are using it for biomedical.

I've never heard of anything like that. Is this just something that is in your state or does this include all states? It would be great to have any financial help, even if it is only a little bit.

Thank you so much Crystal :) .

My email - Mom2Joshua@comcast.net
Knowledge Without Experience Is Just Information ~ Mark Twain

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:05 pm

It is based out of NC but they give money to any parent who applies. Lately they have become more popular and have ran out of funding but are having another fundraiser in the fall. A board agrees on who get's what amount and if they can offer the full amount or just partial. Even $50 would be helpful. This mom is amazing. I will email the application and her phone number.

I offered to do a fundraiser in our state for her foundation but it will benefit anyone who applies for a grant or scholarship. She said that last year 4 parents were approved for a $4500 grant each for biomed treatments. Not sure of the specifics but I know the money is written to the provider and not the parent themselves.

I will do all I can to get her some corporate sponsorers b/c she is doing an amazing thing letting all the money go to the kids for treatments, therapy, and dan appointments including chelation. She just needs funding so if any of you get involved think about trying to get her some funding. Another great thing is people who want to donate as a tax write off for your child may be able to donate to her non-profit and send it for your child's treatments. Just a thought.... It would have to be approved by her I'm sure.

Susan'sHope

Postby Susan'sHope » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:48 pm

Crystal,
Thank you so much! Wow, both of you are such great moms (women)! I've never been one that was good at orginizing anything. I'm not sure how I would go about in helping her get funds?? I've never been involved in any type of orginization. Though I would love to help her in any way that I could. I just need to learn the ropes to how all of it works. Thank you so much for your help. And your right, even $50 is a help! I have a health insurance plan that will pay nothing that is alternative or not from my son's primary doctor, so I have been paying everything cash. I've given up everything that I could so that I could save money. Me and my husband call the savings the Joshie Fund :lol: . I've had a few people help me here and there, but even my friends and family don't have much money. Thank you so much for everything!

dgdavis64

Postby dgdavis64 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:59 pm

Susan'sHope wrote:Crystal,
Thank you so much! Wow, both of you are such great moms (women)! I've never been one that was good at orginizing anything. I'm not sure how I would go about in helping her get funds?? I've never been involved in any type of orginization. Though I would love to help her in any way that I could. I just need to learn the ropes to how all of it works. Thank you so much for your help. And your right, even $50 is a help! I have a health insurance plan that will pay nothing that is alternative or not from my son's primary doctor, so I have been paying everything cash. I've given up everything that I could so that I could save money. Me and my husband call the savings the Joshie Fund :lol: . I've had a few people help me here and there, but even my friends and family don't have much money. Thank you so much for everything!

Are you saving your receipts? We were able to write off most of the biomed expenses on our taxes last year if it's a certain percentage of your income. And you itemize your deductions. You should check into this. Every little bit helps.

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:05 pm

I would just spread the word and tell people to donate in the name of your child and let her know your plan. Email friends and family members and tell them to ask their companies to make a corporate donation even if it is only $100 it's more than nothing. That is a great way to get the word out for her if you are not the organizing type. My sister leaves all the organizing up to me and she shows up for support LOL. That works best for us. :wink:

I think I emailed you her # too. Did you get my email? Cindy is such a super sweet mom. I have already got her a corporate sponsorer in Alabama and I can't wait to get the ball rolling. I am all for an organization who actually gives money for kids treatments rather than literature and books. We have too many organizations who are "informational". 10 organizations giving out the same info that most of us already know is annoying to me. I'll let everyone on here know when we me and autie_mom get a walk together here and raise money. We'll have forms and all kinds of things for donations and letters that can be mailed and emailed. Anyone is welcome to participate even if you are not in AL b/c it's going to this woman's foundation who provides for anyone not just people in her state (NC).

Good luck susan's hope and keep in touch. Give Cindy a call when you get a chance. She is a lovely person. -Crystal

Susan'sHope

Postby Susan'sHope » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:06 pm

Diane,
Yes I save all my reciepts and their piling up too - lol! I save reciepts for all the lab work I have to have done, Dan! fee's, prescriptions and all the trillion supplements I have to buy. I even save the reciepts for any educational supplies that I buy. I don't know if they would be willing to take that off too, but it's worth a try. Thanks for letting me know about the tax write off. I think I knew I could do this in the back of my head, but I totally forgot about it so thank you for reminding me. We've already did our taxes for last year (darn!) so I will have to wait till next tax season.

Crystal, I did get your email and thank you so much. I will fill out the application soon and also give her a call. I will try to spread the word about her foundation. We will see how good I am at getting people to want to donate their money :wink: . It will be new territory for me so I might feel a little out of place at first. But I will get over it because it is for a good cause. I know other mom's of ASD children and I know that they would never have the finances to doing anything alternative. I always feel so sad for them and so fortunate that I have a husband that works so hard that we are able to afford what we have so far. I would love to take my son to Miracle Mountain, but that is something that I can't afford right now (even at it's cheeper rate.) I've also thought about Dr. Kringsman but that is definetly something that I can't afford.

Once again thank you so much!!!!!!!! :D :D

LittleManzParents

Postby LittleManzParents » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:08 pm

No, I had not seen this...

Imagine that - and in one of the "good states".
Well good for him! I wish I had the willpower to join him.
I'd be more inclined to enter a pie-eating contest to raise funds. :lol:

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:13 pm

Susan,

If you call Bob or Judy at MM and ask them if you can apply for a grant they often fund an entire treatment for one family each month. You may have to go a month that funding is available but if you can work your schedule around theirs you may get funding for the HBOT for free through them. You would have to pay housing and that ranges from $490 (sharing housing) to $980 (private housing). It's worth a try. I would call them asap though b/c the more people who know they give a grant the more people will apply. www.miraclemountain.org I wish I had known when we went but it was too soon of a booking to apply and in Sept they have used all their money so we can't get it through them when we go.

-Crystal

mom_of_an_autie

Postby mom_of_an_autie » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:37 pm

LittleManzParents wrote:No, I had not seen this...

Imagine that - and in one of the "good states".
Well good for him! I wish I had the willpower to join him.
I'd be more inclined to enter a pie-eating contest to raise funds. :lol:

LOL :lol:

Susan'sHope

Postby Susan'sHope » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:50 pm

Crystal,
Wow, thank you so much!!!!!!! I had no idea that they offered that. It would be so wonderful if they gave my son the grant. If he were able to go I would have to be brave because I would have to go by myself. My husband wouldn't be able to afford to take off from work that long, and neither would anyone else I know. It sounds like such a big trip. I would have to fly there since I'm all the way in California - to far to drive - lol! Then I would have to look into renting a car because I'm sure nothing is within walking distance :D . If I were able to get in during summer break it's possible that my older sister might be able to come with me for a little bit. She's a school teacher so she would be work free for awhile :D . I'm so excited now that there might be a chance for my son to go!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing!!!!

mom from mass

Postby mom from mass » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:59 am

I had not heard of this neither we wouild like to take Evans to miracle mountain & have him have these treatments. We have know of these treatments for 7 yrs but we do not have the money to take him. A finacial help would be very welcome. We applied to a group who get's funds in our area, to see if they would be able to help us recieve some money, to help us with some of his Biomedical supp. It took one yr but it came threw 2 months ago and we are so grateful for that help espeacially now with 2 more kid's added to the fam. We have not recieved any money yet, but as you said Any help would be a wonderful blessing. If we can get some finacial help/grant to take Evans to miracle mountain & have HBO that would be a dream come true for us. Thank You very much & may God Bless You for sharing this info with us. Mom fr Mass

sashasmom

Postby sashasmom » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:06 am

They will not turn down a family b/c of financial issues. Just tell them that you have been wanting to go for several years now but have always not been able to b/c of financial reasons. Then as if you can apply for a grant to cover the HBOT.

Miracle Flights will fly you to NC for free. All you need is to fill out their forms and have your doctor fill out and sign one of them. www.miracleflights.com

Car rental may be pretty expensive but with the money you are saving on the other 2 you may be able to pull it off. We got our church involved and lots of friends and family to help us. After Sasha's fundraiser I did 3 weeks before we left I ended up paying $500 our of pocket for the MM trip in May. Fundraising may be another thing to look into.

-crystal

mom from mass

Postby mom from mass » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:38 am

Thank you for taking the time to provide this info. I'll look into it, We have lot's of Biomedical expenses going on at this time with Evans, and Lawyers for the 2 children we took in. We had to do one part of the adoption for now & that is only temp paper work. We need to go back to end the process in 2 more months and that will take more $$$$$. My oldest is graduating this week from H.S. she will be needing a car to go to college $$$$ We are in the process of moving out of the 3 bed room house into a 4 bed room house $$$$ & Valtrex as you all have read is to be given to Evans if all goes well with his DAN which comes to more $$$$ because we all did not fit in my hubbys or my car we had to buy a extra car, Miniban to fit all 6 of us now we have 3 cars :shock: $$$$

O.K let's see, WHY don't we have enough money for Miracle Mountain againe i forgot ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :) :wink: thank you once more crystal :wink:

Return to “Autism Articles, Studies & Politics”