born on a blue day by daniel tammet

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
tmarthaler

born on a blue day by daniel tammet

Postby tmarthaler » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:12 am

i just started this book (a memoir) about an autistic savant in the uk who is now about 25. versus temple grandin looking at the world in pictures this guy looks at the world in colors and numbers..it is really interesting. he is a high functioning savant.
Hope
Mom of Three - TG - 13, ER - 10 and Sam - 8.

marilyna

Postby marilyna » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:42 am

I loved the book, but I wish he had told about how/when he was diagnosed and how he felt about it.
Marilyn
Mom of Jay, age 8, moderate autism, Tiffany, age 7 NT

thesedays

Postby thesedays » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55 pm

IIRC, he was diagnosed as the book was going to press. He hadn't been diagnosed yet when the show "Brainman" was produced.

That he is gay adds yet another dimension to the story. Dawn Prince-Hughes' "Songs of the Gorilla Nation" is also about a person who is both gay and autistic, and in a long term relationship as well.
Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate!

johntoh

Re: born on a blue day by daniel tammet

Postby johntoh » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:11 pm

This book is a must read for anyone who wants to understand the human mind a little better. It is a very personal tale, but reading this book made me reevaluate how I judge people when I first meet them. Daniel's warmth and intelligence comes through as he tells his life story, but equally it is plain that he would struggle to communicate these qualities at first face to face.

A really fascinating book that may change the way you see the world a little.

Dani

Re: born on a blue day by daniel tammet

Postby Dani » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:48 pm

I finished reading this book. It's fascinating. He may be the only person in this world with the "synaesthesia and savant syndrome" on top of his Asperger's Syndrome. This allows him to do fantastic math calculations in his head. He also sees numbers and words/sounds/numbers are seen with texture and color. He is a very high-functioning individual - diagnosed when he was a young adult. However, if you like to read books about ASD or about people with ASD, this is a must have book. As the mother of a child on the autism spectrum, I try to read first-person accounts about ASD to get a sense of what worked for that person, what their parents did or didn't do, and what it's like to be autistic. The book was very helpful in that regard. It's very clear and straightforward. It was written so well that I thought he used a ghost writer, but apparenty he wrote the book himself. Remarkable considering that many neurotypical authors use ghost writers for their memoirs.

Daniel comes across as a warm and giving individual. I was blown away by his abilities. I found it fascinating to read about his loving parents, the friendships he could only form with immigrant children and exchange students (also fish out of water like he was), his struggles in childhood to fit into his mainstream school, and his life now with his partner who clearly helped him to grow socially and emotionally.

The book mentions his struggles growing up, but I suspect he didn't mention all the bad things. He chooses to focus on the positive. Though he doesn't mention in great detail what his parents felt raising him, it's very clear that they probably struggled a lot. The father had several nervous breakdowns and suffered from poor health frequently. Daniel writes about these episodes with a bit of detachment, but that is to be expected given his diagnosis.

Two of his quotes that I love ""Most important of all, give your children the self-belief to hold on to their dreams, because they are the things that shape each person's future." and "You don't have to be disabled to be different, everybody's different".
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”