Who is Melvin Bubble?

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
MCA

Who is Melvin Bubble?

Postby MCA » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:10 am

This is a children's book that has nothing to do with autism. HOWEVER, why I'm posting about it (besides the fact it's hillarious) is that the subject of the book is how different characters perceive the main character depending on their point of view. It's a great theory-of-mind/perspective taking book despite not being intended to be any sort of teaching tool.

It's so funny. There's a little boy named Melvin Bubble, and all these different characters come out and comment on him. His dad sees him one way, his mother another way, his best friend another, the Tooth Fairy sees him another way, his teddy bear another, and so on.

I checked it out because I thought it would be a great way to introduce theory of mind to my son; specifically what "beliefs" are and how they are developed based on individual experience and perceptions (I'm always thinking of Michelle Garcia Winner's work on that), but it ended up being an absolutely hillarious children's book that we all loved.

The different characters that come out to comment on this little boy are so diverse and so funny that they merit discussion themselves. There's "the meanest man in the whole world," which led to a discussion with my kiddos about why he might be so mean. And on, and on, and on... such a great book.

I'm an afficionado (sp?) of children's literature and this book is close to my favorite at this point.

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks for this review MCA. I got the book recently for Harry to read and have found it really helpful to talk about what others are thinking and feeling, plus it's a really cute book. Another book I got at the same time is called "Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons" that helps to talk about concepts like cooperate, respect, trustworthiness, etc.
Last edited by BTDT on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCA

Postby MCA » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:38 am

I'm glad you like it! We returned ours to the library this week and I thought DS was never going to recover.

Thanks for the Cookie book recommendation. I skimmed the Amazon.com page on it and love, love, LOVE it. That sounds like a seriously outstanding book, one that you'd want to refer back to over the years. I just put a hold on it at our local library but I bet I'll end up buying it.

I just realized that we JUST checked out the same author's book One of Those Days from the library, it is outstanding as well, I highly recommend it. What a fantastic author!

ETA: Check out this author's works. She has some really witty things!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/102-2718753-3050544?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Amy%20Krouse%20Rosenthal

ETA again: http://www.mommymommy.com/ How cute is that?

Thank you for the heads up, BTDT!

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:27 am

Very cute website I really liked the articles:

Heck, Yeah, I Want a Medal

and

42 things parenthood has taught me

MCA

Postby MCA » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:33 am

BTDT, I finally got the Cookies: Bite Sized Life Lessons book from the library. What an outstanding book; I'm going to buy it. Absolutely perfect. Thank you again for the recommendation.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”