LOUDER THAN WORDS by Jenny McCarthy

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
Mom26children

LOUDER THAN WORDS by Jenny McCarthy

Postby Mom26children » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi
I was wondering if anyone else has read this book. I bought it yesterday and finished it today. It was an extremely easy read. I have many thoughts on the book, but wanted to compare it to others who have read it.
Thanks,
Jeanette

JennysBook

Jenny McCarthy was on Oprah Yesterday the 18th

Postby JennysBook » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:36 am

Jenny Mcarthys book was on autism and her son has it and she explained the symptoms she missed and in her book she explaines why he got it and she said that everything changed the moment he got the MMR vacine it containts Thimerosol and this was given to him at age two.. most children with autism are boys and they get it around the age of two years and that is when they all start showing the symptoms..

She said right on Oprah its the MMR vaccine that they give a child at age two.. Holly Roberson was also there and her child has it also right after the vaccine..

THe book is LOUDER THAN WORDS by Jenny Mcathy..

I never got this vaccine for my children until they were 6 years old and there brains were much developed I believed the rumors about it and how it caused the childs brain to stop functioning in a normal way.
she also explains the childs play how it changes like he doesnt know what to do with toy or normal things anymore...
Read it its great,,
and Oprah always has a repeat show the following day...

BB
I have posted this in Autism Support/Advice/Education

rosiemom

Postby rosiemom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:58 pm

I just finished the book in about 2 hours - agreed a very easy read. Very much paralled many of my own emotions as I became intimate with autism.

Here are my thoughts: I praise her for being so determined and such an advocate for her son. I undertand the loneliness and pain that occured due to the breakdown of her marriage and I identify with her and the group of moms that will do anything possible to bring their children through the window so when we look back we have no regrets.

I too am a single mom but without many of the resources and connections of Jenny McCarthy. $4k a week for nanny, SP, OT, ABA, play therapy. Very hard to fathom for the rest of us - too bad no one wants to see me in a bikini :D (Also I would KILL for a nanny or local family for support). We each have our story and Jenny's certainly made me proud of myself for putting up with much more than she has endured with a postive outlook, determination and without Ativan.

I like Jenny and am very happy she is getting the word out. She worked hard to get Evan where he is and still has energy to make her voice heard for the rest of us. I'm proud to have her on our team and hope her book will inspire parents to seek more than is being offered by mainstream medicine.

Jenny's message of trusting your instincts is something I need to be reminded of and not forget. In the end, I didn't learn anything I haven't been taught through this site or through my DAN (or other countless hours of research) but for anyone that was just handed the ASD diagnosis this will be a very good initial read to introduce some of the concepts of alternative treatments without overwhelming you with science yet acknowledging the emotional toll.
Mom to Rosie, 7yrs - ASD
Long Island, NY

busywith2boys

Louder Than Words: @#$%&^%$^

Postby busywith2boys » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:44 pm

I too thought Jenny McCarthy's book gave a pretty full picture of what living with a child with autism is like. I was surprised at some of the language that she used in the book. You would think that she would want to appeal to a wider audience.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God.

dgdavis64

Re: LOUDER THAN WORDS by Jenny McCarthy

Postby dgdavis64 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Mom26children wrote:Hi
I was wondering if anyone else has read this book. I bought it yesterday and finished it today. It was an extremely easy read. I have many thoughts on the book, but wanted to compare it to others who have read it.
Thanks,
Jeanette

:?

Beware of the pharma trollbot shills posting from anonymous proxy servers

amy

Postby amy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:49 am

i haven't read it....i've seen a few interviews about the book and flipped through it at Target. i get the idea. i am glad some attention is coming to the topic of autism, but i wish someone would talk about how difficult it is for most of us to find / finance good services for our kids to be the best they can be :( i'm also glad her son is doing so well :D

i can't spend anymore money on books...i have an entire library of books :shock:
amy, mommy to:

zach 2/21/99
jared 8/24/00
katie 8/23/02

soulflower

More than Words

Postby soulflower » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:11 pm

Has anyone read "More than Words" by Fern Sussman? It seems like a good book, but I wanted to get thoughts from anyone who's used it.

thanks
KB
DS - almost 3
DD - almost 1

williams_dad

Postby williams_dad » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:51 pm

Has anyone read "More than Words" by Fern Sussman?

yes, the discussion is here
http://www.autismweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7112
http://spectrumsleuth.fr.yuku.com/forums/11/General/General

Girly Girls

Postby Girly Girls » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Love the book. Love Jenny Mc. Cried through most of it. Appreciate it so much! 8)

Janie

Postby Janie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:07 pm

I finally read this over the weekend, and I was actually really impressed. I read it and Mother Warriors in a couple of days - both very easy reads - but she's a better writer than I'd have thought. I don't mind a little offensive language (I guess I'm harder to offend), and her rage and desperation are obvious and mirror my own.
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”