Mother Warriors by Jenny McCarthy

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
Janie

Mother Warriors by Jenny McCarthy

Postby Janie » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned this book yet. It's very well done, with some amazing recovery stories from parents other than just JM. Like the first one, it's a pretty quick read and definitely worth it.
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

amy

Postby amy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 am

i read it too. while i am grateful to jenny for getting info "out there", i would have loved it if she had put some other warrior moms in there......you know, moms (and / or dads) of kids who have gotten significantly better and are healthier, but not recovered. i think that is a more accuarate portrayal of the population and potential for recovery, but that's just my opinion. :wink:

i think she is a fabulous 'big mouth' (her description of herself :lol: ) and will prompt, push and persuade until changes are made :D
amy, mommy to:

zach 2/21/99
jared 8/24/00
katie 8/23/02

DianeM2

Postby DianeM2 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:44 pm

My library is getting in shipped in from another library. As soon as it come in I will read it. I heard that she is coming aout with another book on Autism in the spring of 2009.
Keeping the Faith

Noahsgift

Postby Noahsgift » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:59 am

I read the book also. It is very encouraging and has some really great stories of recovery, but I was hoping for a little more detail on what the moms acually did for their children. It's a little vague on that part, but still a good read. It good to know that she is spreading the word about some of the possible causes of autism, and that something can be done to treat most cases.
God will never give you more than you can handle at a given time.

http://chicksrus.blogspot.com/

Janie

Postby Janie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:31 pm

In one of her interviews (don't remember which) she said that she was deliberately vague about what each child did because she didn't want people using it as a how-to book. That's probably a good thing - I actually know a mom around here who was trying to use the first book that way.
Mom to one 6 yr old - HFA

Noahsgift

Postby Noahsgift » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:17 pm

Janie: That makes since, I guess it's also to protect herself from getting sued as well. I also wondered if this book could be a prerequiste to another biomedical book about treatment?? I really don't know if she would go that far though, it would be cool though you know?
God will never give you more than you can handle at a given time.

http://chicksrus.blogspot.com/

HoldingOn2Hope

Re: Mother Warriors by Jenny McCarthy

Postby HoldingOn2Hope » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:50 pm

I read this book before my son had a diagnosis, but after I'd read the Healing the New Childhood Epidemics (so I suspected ASD spectrum for ds). This book read like my diary since DS was born. I underlined all of the things in there that I've felt since he was born. Then I gave the book to my husband and told him that this book is like my diary, and he was welcome to read it. He was surprised & intrigued - so he read it (what man doesn't want to read a book by Jenny McCarthy?!)... and after he read it, he was finally on board to listen to me (& our ped) about our son's issues. I'm SO grateful for this book - I no longer feel like I'm the only one going through this, and I also have DH on board! :)

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”