A Real Boy : A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention..

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
Dani

A Real Boy : A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention..

Postby Dani » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:51 am

A Real Boy : A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention, and Recovery by Christina Adams

I have mixed feelings about this book. It's good to know that her son, Jonah, was able to reach recovery through intensive ABA, special diets, supplements, and medicines. However, her book can be depressing for some if their child isn't as high functioning to begin with or if they don't have the funds that these parents had. Jonah is mildly affected by ASD. At the time of his diagnosis (when he's about 2 or 3), he's already asking questions. His parents sell their cabin to finance his treatment. They live in a great school district. Jonah is their only child. These parents clearly have resources most people don't. They sue the school district. The father is a lawyer. Their hire top notch doctors and employ an array of professionals to implement a 40 hour intensive home speech/ABA program. Jonah recovers in remarkable time and is completely off the spectrum. Adams, the writer, can be condescending to those parents who don't have the money she does. She has categories of ASD parents. At the bottom are parents who accept the school district's services without any private interventions. Near the top are parents like her who go all out. Parents with children who are profoundly autistic might want to avoid this book. It's even depressing for me and my child is on the milder end of the spectrum.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Susan'sHope

Re: A Real Boy : A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention..

Postby Susan'sHope » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:31 pm

Adams, the writer, can be condescending to those parents who don't have the money she does. She has categories of ASD parents. At the bottom are parents who accept the school district's services without any private interventions. Near the top are parents like her who go all out.

This is really sad. It's sounds like she's never had to do without & having a child with a disability hasn't helped her learn to be more compassionate. I think I'll pass on this book. I don't need to read anything that passes judgement on people, much less from a parent who you would think would be understanding.

Susan
Knowledge Without Experience Is Just Information ~ Mark Twain

Dani

Re: A Real Boy : A True Story of Autism, Early Intervention..

Postby Dani » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:47 pm

Yes, I didn't like that part as well. Not everyone has a vacation cabin they can sell to finance everything that's needed to make our children get better.

Ultimately this is a story of hope and perseverance. I read what I wrote above and I realized perhaps I was being unfair to the author. I'm glad she wrote the book. It's good to have books about recovery out there so that more people realize it's possible for some children on the spectrum can lose their diagnosis. It's possible for other children to improve greatly even if recovery isn't attained.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”