More Than Words: Helping Parents Promote Communication

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
Dani

More Than Words: Helping Parents Promote Communication

Postby Dani » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:49 pm

More Than Words: Helping Parents Promote Communication and Social Skills in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder , written by a speech language pathologist, presents a step-by-step guide on for parents of children with autism spectrum disorder in an extensive, practical, and user-friendly format. A lot of autism books are technical and hard to read. This book is the opposite. It presents useful information in a lively, easy to understand, well organized book. The book is wonderfully illustrated. The chapters divided into color coded stages of communication. It breaks down the four levels of communication that normally developing children go through. There is the Own Agenda Stage, the Requester Stage, the Early Communicator Stage, and the Partner Stage. For each stage, the book gives different techniques that parents can use. Unlike other autism books, this book provides games and ways that you can get your child to interact with you daily. I love this book and can't say enough good things about it. Whether your child is nonverbal or verbal with social difficulties, you'll find in this book proven strategies drawn from current research on improving a child's communication skills.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”