Beyond The Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism/Asperger's

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
Dani

Beyond The Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism/Asperger's

Postby Dani » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences With Autism and Asperger Syndrome by Stephen M. Shore is a wonderful book. Nonverbal until age 4, Stephen grew up in 60s and 70s, when treatment for autism spectrum conditions was unheard of. His parents were advised to place him in an institution. However, they chose to keep him at home. They got him private services that were available at the time for children with delays.

Stephen Shore gives an autobiographical view at the difficulties faced as a person with high-functioning autism or Asperger's Syndrome. He is articulate and intelligent. His book has a lot of humor and insight into high functioning autism. It's a good book for parents and teens on the spectrum who may be navigating high school or college. Stephen, who doctors once thought wouldn't achieve anything at all, is working on his Ph.D in Special Education at the time the book was written ( He may already have his doctorate now). Although he will always have some issues with social skills, it is really thrilling to see that he is now happily married to a typical person, and has found a career path that is perfect for his abilities. His achievements would be impressive even without the diagnosis of autism.
I didn't know how strong I could be until I had to be.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”