The Everyday Advocate:Standing up for your Child with Autism

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
busywith2boys

The Everyday Advocate:Standing up for your Child with Autism

Postby busywith2boys » Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 pm

I am currently reading this book by attorney Areva Martin, a special needs attorney in Los Angeles. She has a ten year old son, Marty, with autism and makes some very good points about being an advocate for your child with autism. In my mind, she comes at the whole idea of helping your autistic child in a realistic way -- by being an advocate. So many books on autism are focused on "curing" the child rather than accepting him/her for who they are and helping him/her to thrive. I don't know much about her apart from her book but she is very helpful and practical. I just started on Chapter 4 (out of 12) but so far I'm very impressed. I'd be curious to know anyone else's thoughts.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God.

Kari

Re: The Everyday Advocate:Standing up for your Child with Autism

Postby Kari » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:23 pm

This is a great book about advocacy. I would have never wanted to read it until we started having problems with our school district. I like the sidebars where she tells you what to say in certain scenarios. She stresses that you need to have everything documented. "If it's not in writing, it never happened." I learned the hard way. She's in a great position to teach us, being a mom of a child with an ASD and a lawyer. Very helpful and empowering.

annalaurabrown

Re: The Everyday Advocate:Standing up for your Child with Autism

Postby annalaurabrown » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:16 pm

I posted a video review of this book ois on my blog in my sig file below and I think it one of the better books I have read.
10 Steps to Simple Healthy Meals Your Child With Autism Will Love http://spectrumofwellness.com

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”