Another great book to read! Amanda, you'll like this one.

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
JeniB

Another great book to read! Amanda, you'll like this one.

Postby JeniB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:53 am

It's called "And They Said It wasn't Possible" by Karen R. Hurd. You can pull up her site karenhurd.com. Her baby was poisioned by pesticides at 18 months and she used diet to get the toxins out. Her explaination of the sores in the gut is different and makes the most sense by far to me. It is about the bile loop and contaminated recirculating bile. The book is an easy read and I think one of the missing pieces in the GAPS and SCD is soluable fiber---lots of it, like six times a day at first. I gave my guy lima beans for a day, he improved dramatically after the initial yeast flare. I'm actually going to consult with her tonight, she is very reasonable and a nutritionist. Can't wait to see how she treats our kids with her diet idea of beans, beans, beans, to remove the nasty bile. It was mentioned that some use psyllium powder (unsweetened and unflavored).
Jen
(mom of 3)

iherb referral code: HOF516
save $5 on first purchase

amanda NC

Re: Another great book to read! Amanda, you'll like this one.

Postby amanda NC » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am

JeniB,
Wow! I have never heard of this. I'll read the web page--PLEASE post what happens with your trial of fiber, etc.

I know many people do much better with lots of psyllium; it is a part of the "toxic mold" treatment. Perhaps the psyllium is doing other things than what they think. Exciting! I love hearing about natural stuff like this. thanks!!
Amanda, mom of 3

taz

Postby taz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am

Thanks JennyB...
a quick question Jenny is your son regular or he is constipated? My son is the opposite.. he goes to the bathroom 3 times a day...
Now he is going only once a day... normal BM's but with chelation I prefer 2... so lets see...
I wanted to add fiber but that make me nervous about going too much... but I will check that.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Taz, he goes once a day most days, but it's usually a bit constipated and sometimes little balls mixed in. I think adding the soluable fiber is a part of the diet I've been missing all this time. If it's true that this nasty bile just keeps dumping toxins in the body over and over and never getting picked up by the fiber, then no wonder the diet needs some tweaking! Beans are just hard to give because of the nasties in the colon like clostridia and yeast, but the nasties are there because the bile is foul. Soluable fiber is the only thing that picks up the bile and carries it out in the stool. If it's not there during digestion, it will be reabsorbed into the small intestines, back into the bloodstream and back to the liver to try and filter over and over (this is causing the sores in those with ulcerative colitis-it is literally burning the intestines). She goes on to say that hormones and adrenaline also recircualte in the bile...increasing the "fight or flight" from too much adrenaline in the system. Wow, doesn't this make some sense too. Anway, Americans and a majority of the world have stoped eating this stuff. We can afford the other things now, when families probably ate beans every night in the past because, for one, they keep for a long time (dried beans can be stored all winter long and used). Protein and fiber and carbs all in one. they are cheap. Add a bone in there after you've run out of meat and I bet a big pot would last for days. They cause gas at first because we haven't been eating them regularly. I'm gonna try it after this round and our yeast gets under control. This and the psyllium fiber with a total of 6 doses a day.
Jen
(mom of 3)

taz

Postby taz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:50 pm

A friend of mine (she is a doctor in Venezuela) told his mother when she was on medical school.. Mom: We need to eat beans DAILY!!
That was 15 years ago...
I guess she is right...
Luckily he had beans for dinner :D
Where can I find the fiber that you mention?? BTW I ordered the probiotic 12 Dr Ohhira.... I will let you know how it goes... first day today

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:49 am

Hi, JeniB, Amanda et al.

Further to what you are discussing, I wanted to share some progress that has taken place over the past three days with my daughter. I know it is early days yet but I have definitely seen improvement.

1. In the morning, I have mixed a probiotic (VSL3) with a spoonful of psyllium powder (I only found Solgar at the health store so use that) and a teaspoon of apple pectin (Solgar again) with some water. I mix it all up, stick it in the fridge and give my daugher a teaspoonful with each meal. Better stools (no hard little balls), fewer stims, less reflux, just better overall. I got this from a book called the Immune Restoration Handbook which I find terrific - it has both natural and prescription remedies for restoring immunity. This book reckons that by using this blend, stools will float within six months, which is the sign of good bacterial in the stools.

2. Started compouned Cholestyramine which binds bile in the gut. Something is going on with this as well. My daughter is more verbal, aware - I am only giving a tiny amount to gauge her reaction as her gut reacts to everything and I have to go very, very slowly with whatever new I introduce. So far so good.

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:42 pm

I just wanted to add something that has clicked in my head recently. My parents come from a small village in the mountains of Nothern Greece. They grew up dirt poor (the Depression, Second World War, Civil War and so on) but so many of their generation has lived to reach their nineties and quite a few over a hundred, with very little incidence of cancer and degenerative diseases. They had a very limited diet - they ate pulses, mostly beans, raw goat's milk feta cheese and drank goat's milk or sheep's milk, ate wild greens, unsprayed seasonal fruit and vegetables and had meat once a week (if that, mostly not). That was their diet. They obviously were on to something.

Dylynn

Postby Dylynn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:44 pm

I am going to check into this too! Especially since our son tested as having a high pesticide level. Thanks for sharing!
Son - Somewhere on the Spectrum

mommyjen

Postby mommyjen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:39 pm

I read one of the articles on this site about add/adhd. It talked about needing a protein meal and eating 6 times a day. That is so my daughter I can't even tell you! Thanks for the site link!

Mommy to:
7 yr old girl
6 yr old girl with ASD
3 yr old girl
New Baby boy
~

mellowjello

Postby mellowjello » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 am

JeniB is this author's idea different than the recirculating toxins idea in GAPS that is addressed through enemas? Do you have to have added fiber specifically (we get tons of vegetable fiber) or it is just that you need to make sure you have regular stools in some way?
Learning to jiggle when shaken.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:29 am

Mellojello, it's the soluable fiber that's needed. In GAPS, the enemas are not going to go up far enough and remove bile in the small intestines. The part where most vitamins are absorbed are in the same area where the toxic bile is getting recirculated-this part of the intestines is getting repeatedly damaged over and over and this nasty bile, if soluable fiber isn't there DURING DIGESTION, it will go right back into circulation along with every pesticide, cleaning chemical, shot ingredients, metals that the child has been exposed to. The bile will go back to the liver who has to AGAIN, work twice as hard to filter it in the bile-here the liver also gets damaged by the toxic bile, just for it to go back and start all over, each time this happens the person and bile get sicker and more yucky. Bile loves the type of fiber in beans and psyllium. Veggies in general are not the same thing. They are not soluable. This is why those on GAPS and SCD have to stay on it and can't go back to eating like a normal person. The diet is a band-aid. You have to have them with a meal. Drink lots of fluid and rest are also big. I do know that psyllium is allowed on SCD. I think the beans are better, they are less likely to contain mold or cause an allergic reaction. Psyllium has a mention of causing allergies on the package usually. So, beware of that. There are also many beans allowed on the diet too. I think there will be a flare-up at first, but then once the bile is gone, the new bile will improve digestion. people on this diet can eventually add back in most foods. For 2 years i've been doing SCD/GAPS and it wasn't helping my son add more foods....until I started chelation and hopefully now, this.
Jen
(mom of 3)

Kastania

Postby Kastania » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Jeni

It's good to know about a possible allergy to psyllium, will watch out for this. Can I ask how you intend to give the beans? Cooked in what way, how many times a day, with meals I guess, right? How many beans with each meal? Also, beans are hard to digest - can you pulverize them or do they have to be whole? I give my daughter bean soup cooked with carrots and celery twice a week and pulverize it and sometimes she still has problems digesting it.
I am excited about this, because I can see that the psyllium is doing something, even yeast is better, if that's possible.

mellowjello

Postby mellowjello » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Does any kind of bean work? My daughter can handle red lentils because they are so easy to digest, but not much else. The only other ones allowed on GAPS are lima beans, white navy beans (which I can't find dried), and split peas. I would LOVE to be able to eat black beans again!!!!
Learning to jiggle when shaken.

JeniB

Postby JeniB » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:02 pm

My son did pretty well with both the lima beans and the navy white beans like Mellojello said-pinto beans, not so much. I soaked the dry navy beans for 2 days prior to cooking (overnight in the fridge). And then I cooked them in a slow cooker part of the day and all night. The limas were frozen and I just soaked in the fridge in water overnight. I also cook them a really long time. They taste so much better slow cooked. This is also good to add the bone in and the beans soak up the broth with it's benefits too and taste better. I love beans, myself. I've been eating them and I have to say I've been in a pretty good mood the past few days. I tried the psyllium and I hope to use this too. For me, I got constipated mostly because I don't drink enough water. This is the part that is hard for us, they have to drink lots of water. My DS won't drink plain water. The only sugar/sweet/fruit he gets is a bit of apple juice in his water. He won't drink it otherwise. This is a big part of the diet, absolutely no sugar, fruit, juice, or honey. No caffeine or artificial anything that includes stevia. No scented anything around them. (we mostly already do this). Interesting thing I've noticed is that the beans if left to sit out get hard and crusty just like the bentonite clay does if it dries. It's consistency really reminds me of this. I'd imagine pureed would work, added in something like ground hamburger.
Jen
(mom of 3)

amanda NC

Postby amanda NC » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:45 pm

JeniB wrote:I've been eating them and I have to say I've been in a pretty good mood the past few days. I tried the psyllium and I hope to use this too.

JeniB,

This is interesting. One the LOD board, many people commented on how good they feel when eating lentils. Lentils, black-eyed peas and split peas are the lower oxalate legumes. I have been eating lentil soup for a couple of days here and also feel really good even though I have not been sleeping well.

Psyllium is a toxic mold intervention. It supposedly "soaks up" toxins, as I recall. maybe it's doing several things at one time.

I soak my beans for 24 hours or more, changing the water a few times. Then cook. If you drain the cooking water with beans, it will lower the oxalate content but you'll lose vitamins and minerals. My kids love bean soups. Who woulda thunk it?
Amanda, mom of 3

idaphne63

Postby idaphne63 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Mellow,

If you have a Whole Foods near you, they have dried white navy beans in their bulk food aisle.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”