Atypical: Life With Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters

Publish Your Reviews of Books / Videos about Autism, PDD or Asperger's.

Moderator: ModeratorBill

Forum rules
Book authors may post about their own books, if they identify themselves as the author.
Arman_Khodaei

Atypical: Life With Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters

Postby Arman_Khodaei » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:14 pm

This is a great book from someone that has Asperger's. It gives great insights, is very humorous and worth picking up. I wrote a review on my blog which I will post below. You can purchase a copy at Borders, Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, or off of Jesse Saperstein's official website. www.jessesaperstein.com

He is also made this amazing anti-bullying video that is worth checking out. This was a speech that he gave to a bunch of middle schoolers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDBjMW35wX8

Anyway, here is the blog entry that I wrote in regards to his book. Be sure to pick up a copy.
I have been wanting to read Atypical: Life With Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters for a couple or so months now. Unfortunately, other reading obligations prevented me from getting to this book sooner. But, I am now very glad that I have had the opportunity to read this book by Jesse Saperstein because it is an amazing read. This book offers incredible insights into the lifestyles of someone who has Asperger's while also being very humorous. As a matter of fact, this might just be the most humorous book I have ever read. To order a copy go to http://www.amazon.com/Atypical-Life-Asp ... 441&sr=8-1 You can also purchase a copy of this book for your Kindle, if you own one.

In many ways, Saperstein's writing style reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut, my all-time favorite writer. Saperstein's style is non-linear for the most part and quite humorous. I think most people can relate to his style of humor, but the non-linear fashion he writes in can make it difficult for one to get a sense of how he has changed. Now, this didn't bother me, but I think for the purposes of this kind of memoir, it is helpful to see how someone has grown and transformed over the years.

With that said, I could really relate to many parts of the book. There were many experiences that Saperstein and I shared. For instance, his obsession with Disney. Not that long ago, I had an obsession with Star Wars until I sold off my collection. There is also the aspect of hand-flapping that he brings up and perseverance. I think many people with autism just don't know when to give up. I know I don't. Saperstein and I are both very persevering individuals. Also, are dating lives are similar in many fashions. I have never shared this before with the public, and it is not mentioned in my memoir, but like Saperstein, I almost formed a romantic relationship with a forty-something woman. Though, in Saperstein's case, he actually did date a forty-year old woman. The reason why I didn't end up dating this older woman was not because of her age, but because I wasn't sure the relationship would work out, and I was and still am searching for my soul mate. I feel as if I take on a relationship, and it falls through then I am cheating on the One.

Anyway, with all that said, there were some aspects I felt Saperstein could have improved upon. Aside from the lack of chronology, I also felt that he covers up his experiences by being too literary at times. Saperstein was an English major, and it shows through his writing style. Now, I really enjoy literary writing, but I don't think this style of writing is 100% appropriate when you are trying to introduce other people to what it is like to have Asperger's Syndrome. With that said, I really enjoyed the writing style--a lot, but I can see it being a turn-off for some parents.

But, all in all, I highly recommend this book, and think it is an excellent read and does offer some great insights into the mind of someone with Asperger's syndrome. Again, here is the link if you are interested in purchasing this book. http://www.amazon.com/Atypical-Life-Asp ... roduct_top

I think you will enjoy this book. :)
Visit my website www.armankhodaei.com
I have autism and update my website daily.

Return to “Autism Book Reviews”